The retro coolest teardrop that you may ever see!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minivanmotoman

Reaction score
This thing is so cool, I mean really KOOL!
It's a teardrop with early 60s design touches from glitter to decor.
If you're a MCM fan, you will love this retro camper.
Check out his YouTube videos of his build.

The Astroliner.

It seems like the name of this forum, Cheap RV Living, deserves to be taken seriously. Any post-adolescent who wants to talk about KOOL rigs must have so much money to squander that maybe they should move over to Expedition Portal.

Mish mosh. I enjoy seeing what people can make on their own. It’s a whole lot cheaper because he made it himself. Cheap doesn’t have to mean ugly

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
It seems like the name of this forum, Cheap RV Living, deserves to be taken seriously. Any post-adolescent who wants to talk about KOOL rigs must have so much money to squander that maybe they should move over to Expedition Portal.

The interesting part of his build is his creativity, and effort to build an early 60s inspired rig.
It could give someone ideas and building it yourself will not cost much more than just plain 2*3s and paint. The design elements are free in essence, simply incorporate.
And from his idea, one could go to a 70s theme, or any time period or fad or, it's up to your imagination...
It can be creative inspiration if one so chooses.
I'm looking at his mega glitter which can be duplicated pretty much with a couple spray cans of glitter and clear for $20 from Walmart.
Plus his design and build can be informative and educational for those who may choose to build a teardrop.
Agreed he went high dollar but that doesn't mean you have to. I went to all the high$ rigs at the RV show just looking for ideas, concepts and execution that I could adapt and use.
Btw, I always thought your name on here was just as cool and imaginative.
Kabloonie boonster, don't know what it means but it certainly has a nice ring to it.
Try to see the good in things and not just the negatives.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
...deserves to be taken seriously...

Take this srsly kaBLOOnie... *BIG HUGS*

:cool:

Fyi, And to add to this builders story, this camper is a labor of love for this average, everything, skilled laborer. He's been building this on and off for 4 years, stopped in the middle of the build to get cancer treatments, wasted down to nothing in chemo, and now is back and recovered, still building. Admired his dedication and sacrifice to making his dreams come true
He's just a skilled worker, passionate about what he does, dedicated to his craftsmanship, all aspects to be admired beyond the cost to build.
Many weekends spent sanding and sanding to get his finish just right. He's a painter, welder iirc.
There was much to learn and read about his build if one wanted to go that far.
There's usually a story behind everyone.
That's part of his for those who are interested.

Actually the project was built on a salvaged trailer frame. The basic structural elements of the walls are plywood. That is not all that different from many "cheap" projects. But then it leaps into a big difference and that is the profession level of design and also the professional level of the skills of the builder(s).

You could give sheets of plywood and no instructions to someone with zero skills and the same material without instructions to a person with well developed skills. One project is likely to look cheap and the other to look expensive.

Acquiring skills does not come "cheap" when you consider the time and effort it requires to develop them.

Excellent! Very well done! Definitely a work of art by a obviously skilled craftsman... I also note, the guy was going through chemo at the time, surely a labor of life... a good reason to keep going. I loved the glitter flake counter top with Jetson's caricatures and especially the retro light fixtures. Not to take anything away from his build, but I'm kinda partial to the 'Big Pink' build from TNTT.

Thnx rvwandering for the link!

That is amazing! Some days I can't even get my pants down in time to drop a duece and here's this guy&co slaying it! Some serious skills there. That's fantastic.

Kabloonie cheap RVing is relative anyway.

A person might have made good financial decisions and saved their whole life and bought a nice RV with the money from the sale of their house.

They still might not want to go spend their whole retirement on rvparks that can be a huge expense and are looking for ways to live cheaply.

I don’t fall into that category but I’ve been put around out here a bit and keep running across people with less being very resentful of people that just might have made smarter decisions.

I have met very good friendly people out there in million dollar rigs just wanting to travel and live a nice life. I haven’t had a bit of trouble or been made to feel badly because I’m in a Class B plus older RV. On the contrary I have had a bit of prejudice from a few who think I might be living high in this little RV or because I run around in a sidebyside ATV. That’s a crack up.

I still have a house in KY but have chosen to roam. I could pay for a really cheap RV park somewhere but certainly can’t pay for some of the prices asked in Florida.

I’m not cheap but I am frugal so I can live this lifestyle. You might want to rethink why those camp-hosts in the big rigs are taking those jobs. Some of them are only living on their social security. Some of them want to continue working in some way and there are some that still feel the need to be of service in some way.

I have a couple of friends who camp-host in glacier every year for about six years running. She is a retired biology professor and he’s a retired shrink. They have the funds to do what they want but volunteer to stay in glacier at remote campgrounds as camp hosts. The job isn’t easy there and they have to travel pretty far on a day off to get supplies. They are the spirit of volunteerism to me.