The Obscure Music thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary68 said:
Mother love bone,late 80's-early 90's??? band,made one great album,singer od'd,got new singer,changed name to Pearl jam and became eww

I see yer MLB and raise you Scream w/ Dave Grohl. I used to see these cats in and around DC, along with Minor Threat, Fugazi, Bad Brains, Agnostic Front, Black Market Baby, and one of my all time favorites The Slickee Boys.

As for Pearl Jam, I saw them at Ritchie Coloseum on campus of the University of Maryland (2,500ppl in attendance) about 3 weeks after Jeremy was released. What an amazing show. 

Metallica has a version of the Ecstasy of Gold for metal lovers

I prefer Ennio's original version on the soundtrack , I even wrote and recorded a story (legend-narration / early-pre rap ) using the soundtrack about somebody on the local CB scene back in the mid 80s.

I guess someday I might getaroundtoit and upload some of my weirdness to ytube so I don't have to try describing it. Now THAT would be obscure !

The Blues ain't dead but Root is and THAT is damn shame!
Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band
Boogie Till You Puke

An aside--I was in a local mall yesterday using their wifi (Shreveport LA) when the Muzak gave a country-music version of Prince's "Purple Rain", with slide guitar and fiddle. It was the oddest thing I ever heard.

keep with the dead singer theme

Morphine - Cure For Pain (Full Album)

[video=youtube]

a drummer,a horn player,a singer sliding a 2 string bass

this is a all time great top shelf album here

my 2016 album of the year
once again proving metal is the most musical of the musics

a story of an owl who wants eternal night for eternal hunt and equates the eagle to the sun so sets off to kill the eagle to stop the sun from rising

[video=youtube]

link to album playlist

Thanks everybody for the contributions

I going to have to revisit many of the song contributions in this thread, after my musical requirements inevitably and temporarily evolve away from Fela's Afro beat.  I've had that live album with Ginger Baker for years, but it didn't really do much for me, but 'Palm Wine Sound' s ability to get me moving, had me further explore his vast other compositions.

Really impressive composer/band leader/ musician.

[video=youtube]

This Song's beauty is stunning.   Never had a sax do that to the inside of my skull before.  Every listen, it  got even better, and then louder.

Baaba Maal and TaJmahal to a tribute version which is pretty good too.

My morning Jacket also covers it.

I like The original best.

[video=youtube]
Roky Erickson - If You Have Ghosts

one never does that
in the night i am real
and a part of me is me
i dont want my fangs too long

[video=youtube]

Kodaline - "All I Want"

Great song

This is a quirky little video, but I can watch it over and over. The roots of rhythm.