The new CB radio - where to put it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
ah, that wasn't right. highdesertranger

I know huh? Don't you hate it when that happens?

The shrimp fajitas are great too [emoji3]

Cammalu said:
I still have it in the box and haven't opened it. Do they usually come with some sort of bracket? What about the antenna? I bought a magnetic one. Just run thru the door? Thank you Gary and rlmarsh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There should be a bracket for the CB in the box if you bought it new takes 2 screws on my van I had a tray that ran from one side of van to the other if you don't have that than just screw in to top of van . My self I don't like the magnetic antinas I always had a 102" whip mounted to the back bumper

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Txtosturgis

"But the main radio is sitting on the carpeted dashmat with some velcro to hold it in place.
"

I like the way that looks. I'll probably only want to set it out almost never so just setting it up there would work pretty good for me.

You said you have a rubber mat of some kind under it?

Caution to the wind. Thank you for your input. I'm hoping I won't need another speaker. I only intend to use it when I go to Baja in Feb for a month.

Gary68. Thanks so much for your input. I don't think I want to mount it permanently if I don't have to as I won't be using it very much.

Keep it away from areas that coffee or drinks can spill on it.
Mine is velcroed to the dash. Four 1" strips is plenty on each corner of the CB. Power cord just runs up over the dash to rear connection on CB. Antenna runs out the passenger side door to roof mount antenna.
Pick a proper length of antenna cable. You cant cut and splice these things (unless you are super talented.)
Do not coil up any excess antenna cable, as it effects broadcast and reception.
Never try to broadcast without the antenna properly installed.
Mounting bracket and hardware is in most CB kits.
Stay away from air bag locations, when mounting.

I don't use an external speaker. Its plenty loud for me.
Remove antenna BEFORE entering the garage. Antennas get 'xpensive.....

Rlmarsh1108 said:
There should be a bracket for the CB in the box if you bought it new takes 2 screws on my van I had a tray that ran from one side of van to the other if you don't have that than just screw in to top of van . My self I don't like the magnetic antinas I always had a 102" whip mounted to the back bumper

Rlmarsh. Thank you so much for your help. I bought the magnetic one so I wouldn't have to have it permanently mounted. I should have clarified all that with my first post

tx2sturgis said:
That red trailer looks too small for any 4wheeler other than maybe a tiny-tot size...

The other trailer looks JUST right!

:D

I'd rather stick a needle in my eye that tow my larger trailer around with me everywhere. It has its uses here on the property but I sure don't want to take it with me. Besides, I couldn't really secure anything.

tx2sturgis said:
For the antenna cable routing, here is the easiest way to do it, especially if you mount the radio on the dash:

Thank you so much again. You did a great job of explaining that with pics to boot. I suppose I need to get a carpeted dash cover as I don't have one. Any favorite places to purchase something like that?

Abuelaloca. Throw up your van pics and these kind gentlemen will give you some advice.

Cammalu said:
Rlmarsh. Thank you so much for your help. I bought the magnetic one so I wouldn't have to have it permanently mounted. I should have clarified all that with my first post
That makes since I just never had any luck with magnetic but hope it works for you

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Velour it is! I measured the cargo trailer.... 44x74. Not happening for a 4 wheeler. I think I'll just pass on it for now and see how things go

Cammalu said:
You said you have a rubber mat of some kind under it?

Mine has a carpeted dashmat and velcro but you can use any type of nonslip rubber mat, like they sell for toolboxes, or kitchen shelving mat.

Just cut to about the size of the radio.

You can buy a little $10 external speaker at Loves or Pilot truck stops, this will help you hear it better when its laid on the dash.