The new CB radio - where to put it

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cammalu

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the best place to put the CB I bought for Baja. I'm in my happy place and took some photos of my layout.
Drivers front
370327691dd300974e8dd8859ab9c804.jpg

Middle section. I'll usually have my back up camera above the mirror
cda41c01d67abe118f3fe95637ffb44c.jpg

Bottom passenger. The dog house takes up all room and it's hard to get up from there and get in the back
604e9fc68ed4092546911656ea04f6c4.jpg

Drivers side
c50578eb20a8ab708495f00ed797f91e.jpg

Any suggestions? I don't know where I can put the dang thing.

On the ceiling? Just screw right into the ceiling????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with Gary68 on ceiling above the mirror than your camera would go between the CB and mirror

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Can I just screw it right in anywhere?

I still have it in the box and haven't opened it. Do they usually come with some sort of bracket? What about the antenna? I bought a magnetic one. Just run thru the door? Thank you Gary and rlmarsh!

Also, unrelated, I'm still out here and wanted to know how long and how often should I run the generator just for exercise? I've had it on about ten min with the AC running

Another unrelated. Do you think I'll be able to fit a smaller 4wheeler in my little red cargo trailer? No I haven't measured.... I'm still in my happy place and don't want to get out. I thought trained eyes might know off hand
10cda27435bf159576e60cae33b13aae.jpg

Lots of places!

The easiest is to use a bit of velcro or rubber mat and just lay it on the dashboard more or less in the middle or right above the speedometer, but off to the side a bit. I bought a carpeted dash mat, it protects the dashboard plastic and gives a nice 'grippy' surface for the velcro to grab, and no glue will be on the dash plastic.

If you do this you really need an external speaker, unless you are willing to turn it upside down...I dont like that but some people dont mind.

Or you can but some of the little stick-on rubber feet, about 1/2 inch or so thick, and they will prop the front up enough to hear the speaker.

When you are parked and not using it, you can put a white rag or cloth over it to protect it from the sun, or if you use windshield shades they will protect it just fine.

Or, you can mount the bracket to the passenger seat base, with the controls facing up. Or use velcro there also, and secure it with a large 24" ziptie.

Or you can have it mounted in that cubby hole, you will need to remove the doghouse console and drill holes for the mounting screws. That console lifts up and out.

Depending on your knees and how close they are to the bottom of the dash, you can mount it to the plastic piece just to the right of the steering wheel, but you might end up hating that one because the mic cord will be dangling in the way all the time.

Overhead mounting is possible too, but then you have to drill into the metal above the headliner, and it needs to be done by a professional, who knows what he (or she) is doing, and then the power and cable routing need to be done. It's a fairly involved process, but if done right, it will look good.

Mine is steady as a rock right here and easy to operate. The other small head-unit is one of my other radios with a remote face that I mounted on a RAM mirror mount extension.

But the main radio is sitting on the carpeted dashmat with some velcro to hold it in place.

IMG_20170625_140316.jpg

IMG_20170625_140224.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170625_140316.jpg
    IMG_20170625_140316.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20170625_140224.jpg
    IMG_20170625_140224.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 17
Cammalu said:
Another unrelated.  Do you think I'll be able to fit a smaller 4wheeler in my little red cargo trailer?  No I haven't measured....  I'm still in my happy place and don't want to get out. I thought trained eyes might know off hand

That red trailer looks too small for any 4wheeler other than maybe a tiny-tot size...

The other trailer looks JUST right!

:D

BTW, if you are willing to remove that rear-view mirror, which probably does very little anyway, you can mount that small CB you bought on a RAM mount from the mirror plate, as you see my other radio face is mounted on.

If you like that idea, you will need to order the proper RAM mount and I can help with that too.

Another option, is to use a large, strong, lever-type RAM suction cup to attach to the inside of the windshield and the radio will be mounted to that, and it will be plenty strong enough to hold that small radio. But, just be aware that some states have laws about using suction cups on the windshield. I have NEVER had a problem tho, its mainly for passenger cars, and dangly, glittery items (or GPS units) that some people hang on the glass right in front of them.

I was gifted a CB myself... it's a lil 'un with just like 3 channels, but it'll be perfect for the road! I think I'll be getting it installed in the next few weeks, but like you, Cammalu, I'm not sure where yet!

AbuelaLoca said:
I was gifted a CB myself... it's a lil 'un with just like 3 channels, but it'll be perfect for the road! I think I'll be getting it installed in the next few weeks, but like you, Cammalu, I'm not sure where yet!

Wow...it must be a classic...they haven't made those in many years....do you know what channels it has in it?

For the antenna cable routing, here is the easiest way to do it, especially if you mount the radio on the dash:

Open the passenger door, and look closely at the opening right next to where the dashboard is:

IMG_20170625_143300.jpg

You will see a gap. you can route the cable thru this area, staying clear of the hinge.

The rubber weather strip has some 'give' to it, and you can route the cable over it, or under it, and then forward past the opening and up to your hood, and stick the magnetic antenna right there.

Here is a picture of the area, make sure the cable clears the 'sharper' points and edges:

IMG_20170625_143315.jpg

You can use some tape inside the opening to secure the cable. It needs to be something strong like duct tape or metal foil tape, not masking tape or scotch tape. Wipe the surface clean before sticking the tape down.

Attachments

• IMG_20170625_143300.jpg
    IMG_20170625_143300.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20170625_143315.jpg
    IMG_20170625_143315.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 13
the only problem with mounting them to the roof is the mic cable hangs down. in some states this is illegal. also make sure your roof is double wall, you don't want to make holes in your roof.

when you go look at 4wheelers take a tape measure with you. most full size(adult) 4 wheelers are a bit under 4 feet wide and about 6 feet long. highdesertranger

You probably won't be changing the channel too much so pretty much anywhere that allows you to reach your mouth with the microphone will do.
Maybe even behind you.
The external speaker will be way easier to find a place for . Somewhere near your head is good.

If you can't mount the antenna on the roof you will lose some range .
Finding somewhere the magnet will stick to will be the hard part .

Measure the inside of the trailer before you look for a wheeler, you might get lucky :p :p :sleepy:

As a form of portability, this is an example (there are smaller and bigger sizes available): http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOCKING-HAR...A-OR-PRO-AV-GEAR-TOOLS-GUN-CASE-/142419851748 With the handle facing you, make a hole on either the left or right side (not where the handle side is) and attached external speaker in a location suitable.

Realistic or Uniden external speaker (amplified speakers are better). I have used the Realistic brand many moons ago, though unfamiliar with the Uniden sound quality. Here are some to view (get one with a bracket): http://www.ebay.com/sch/Speakers/48709/i.html?_dmd=3&Brand=RadioShack

Dual band (cb and cellular booster) antenna: https://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Elect...id=1498421259&sr=1-24&keywords=wilson+antenna

90% of the semi drivers used this method including myself for a time, then I switched to a thick/hard plexiglass and mounted all electronics/speaker.

depends on the ceiling,solid metal?maybe velcro,is there a rib up there you can screw into?

what about on the b pillar, below where the seatbelt mounts

Thank you everyone. I think I'll look at it a bit later...... hic
ddc9317be3b533bf3e0c0887ddc6f4b1.jpg