The Most Quiet Fans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyrus

Reaction score
I understand that moving air is important to staying cool, so Fans are a must.

I've seen a video or two on fans, but I'm wondering if anyone here has recommendations for the most quiet fans.

Thank you

The O2-cool 12v fan from Walmart is pretty quiet.

I have an O-Polar USB-rechargeable fan. I can't hear whether it is on or not, I have to look! But then I am a little deaf...

Between the rain shields and this little fan, I haven't yet wanted a rooftop vent/fan. But people vary a lot in what it takes to feel comfortable.

I also have the O-polar (just USB) and it is very quiet--but almost more of a desk fan.
My Fantastic Endless Breeze 12v is louder (but still relatively quiet) & moves alot more air.
Not sure it is worth the money or not.

+1 on the FanTastic Endless Breeze.
Moves all the air you want, very quiet, uses like 12 watts on low.

Johnny

I like a little white noise from a fan so I might not be the best person to ask, but I’ve found the Endless Breeze nice and have use the DeWalt battery powered shop fan even more with a high degree of satisfaction!

SD

Always was a big fan of tower fans (pun intended), had one back at the office. There is a Honeywell you'll probably like, the HYF290B, makes approximately 41 decibels according to https://www.optimainstitute.com/fans/tower.html
Dysons are good too, but these are too expensive as I know of. Other brands I'd recommend...I guess Lasko and Vornado, their fan game isn't too shabby either.

DanielParkins said:
Always was a big fan of tower fans (pun intended), had one back at the office. There is a Honeywell you'll probably like, the HYF290B, makes approximately 41 decibels according to https://www.optimainstitute.com/fans/tower.html
Dysons are good too, but these are too expensive as I know of. Other brands I'd recommend...I guess Lasko and Vornado, their fan game isn't too shabby either.
Daniel did not mention that all of the fans he is reviewing run on 110volts, They are not 12v powered or USB or even rechargeable by 110v. That means you need an inverter so they will use more power than other options.

I have 2 of the O-polar USB only fans. I love 'em. I keep one in the push out window of one the side cargo doors. It's almost always on. In my opinion it moves plenty of air. It has two speeds. Pretty quiet on low. When it gets hot I use both of them. The other goes in the push out window of one of the rear cargo doors. 

I was planning on installing a roof vent/fan but I decided to use that real estate for solar instead. If I were to spend a lot of time in a really hot area I would use 4 of them. They don't use much power. 2 of them use less than 2 amps.

My setup is not stealthy and wouldn't be practical in an urban environment.

Vornadoes are wonderful, I have two. In storage.

My van doesn't have the juice to run them, but if it did, I'd have one with me. Considering what they can do, they're pretty quiet.

But they are not 12v.

I have an O-Polar also. It's the USB model with the built in battery and two speeds. I really like it as well. Quiet and works great.

Andrew, I'm pretty noise sensitive also.  If you're only bothered by 'normal' frequencies, then a large diameter very-low-speed fan is likely the best.  Continuously adjustable speed also helps to minimize noise.

If very-high-pitched noises bother you, then you might need to avoid ball bearing fans.

Another thing that makes a difference is whether the fan will be wired-in permanently, or plugged into the 12 volt lighter outlet or 5 volt USB port in the van.  In the former case you could use a 12V PC fan.  Some (overly-)detailed information on noise:

https://silentpcreview.com/?taxonomy=vocabulary_1&term=fanscontrols

A few specific articles:

https://silentpcreview.com/recommended-fans/

https://silentpcreview.com/second-140-mm-fan-roundup-antec-bequiet-corsair-scythe/

https://silentpcreview.com/first-140-mm-fan-roundup-noctua-phanteks-xigmatek/

I use an expensive Caframo hardwired in fan. So I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, but they are quiet and have some features that I like.

Sent from my Z6201V using Tapatalk

thanks Low Tech I have one of their stove top fans. I have had it for about 20 years, I can't say enough good things about it. I didn't even know they made regular fans I will have to check them out.

here's a link to their website,

https://www.caframo.com/

highdesertranger

If you're referring to hardwired roof vent/fans and are looking to spend a bit of money, I'd seriously consider investing in a Dometic Fantastic Fan or Maxxair Maxxfan. They come in a wide range of models and have varying speeds. I have x2 Maxxfans in my van and on the lower speeds they are virtually unheard, but definitely move around some air. If it gets too hot I can crank them up to higher speeds to move around even more air.

However, if you are considering a portable 12v USB - like fan, there are a ton of options as well. I can't vouch for their quality or quietness, but there's a bunch on amazon and you can find them in stores like Walmart.

Good luck, cheers!

Earlier in the thread I recommended the Opolar USB fans. I have two and they're great. They will not however keep up with real heat. I'm gonna pick up something with more air flow for really hot days. My roof real estate is already spoken for so I'm not sure exactly what I'll decide on. Opening all the van doors provides the most relief but that's not always feasible​

jacqueg said:
I have an O-Polar USB-rechargeable fan. I can't hear whether it is on or not, I have to look! But then I am a little deaf...

Between the rain shields and this little fan, I haven't yet wanted a rooftop vent/fan. But people vary a lot in what it takes to feel comfortable.

I didn't think I would need a fan to sleep better but today it hit 70 and the four 1" down windows didn't cut it, and that was parked under a tree as well. Should have remembered the two small usb fans I got at WM, they don't make a lot of CFM and you will hear them but it's "white noise". The Amaz ones below are more costly than at Wmart.
Note, none of these will really do the job if in 90's plus heat...

Amaz: OPOLAR F401 Mini USB Table Desk Personal Fan (Metal Design, Quiet Operation 3.9' USB Cable, High Compatibility), Black $12.99, 4.2 out of 5 stars, 5,403 ratings
$12.99

WMart: QVS Portable USB-Powered Mini Desk Fan, Average Rating:(4.0) stars out of 5 stars, 40 ratings, based on 40 reviews, 20 comments QVS Walmart # 554406047
$7.99

So we've gone from THIS to 80 degrees in a week. Today, after getting back from a very warm walk in the woods, I dug around for this fan. A friend got one and got one for me at WallyWorld a while back. I've never used it. it's one of a very few 12 volt items I have. Anybody have one. Are they worth a poop? I'm asking because it's pretty clunky

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMGP0059.JPG
    IMGP0059.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • IMGP0078.JPG
    IMGP0078.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
I’ve generally found fans that are quite don’t move enough air! When I drove a school bus just hearing the fans run made me feel cooler.

This sucker is pretty large and clunky. It has a big motor from the looks of it. Attaches to a clip but it had better be a pretty sturdy base to hold it. I'll report back tomorrow when I try it out.

Cheers

Latest posts