The Most Quiet Fans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I broke out that little fan today. Perfect day since we're pushing 90 this afternoon and it's a sun drenched day. I left the shade out of the windscreen and let the Jeep heat up a little. Then I unpacked the sucker. It's a heavy, very solid fan. Far closer to a half sized house fan than a vehicles fan (see pix). It has a multi angle mount which attaches with a very heavy duty clip or a screw in permanent mount. Pulls .8 Amps at 10 watts or 9.6 AH. Quite a bit. I was at Wallyworld this morning and went back to the auto section to see how much it cost (it was a gift) - $12.97. That's quite a gift from this friend. She's tighter than Roosevelt with her cash!

It seems to be well built and the plastic is fairly thick. The cord and plug also seem to be adequate to carry the current required. Went back out to the Jeep and looked for a place to clip it to. That was actually a problem, there really wasn't any place TO clip it! I finally settled on one of the sunshades but I don't think it's a good place due to the weight. Prolonged use there would probably do bad things to the shade mount. However just for this time I put it there. In the future I'd probably jury rig a piece of weighted wood to act as the base and put it where needed.

It plugs in to any cigarette type socket (note that my Blue Water sockets and plug also arrived) and there is an in line switch to turn it on. The switch feels a little light and flimsy but could be easily replaced if needed. The fan fired right up and I found it also rotates! About 90 degrees. Noise wise it emits a mild hum along with the fan noise but not bad at all. It does push some good air but it's in a fairly concentrated fan so for best effect you'd want to carefully aim it. Which is actually pretty easy with the multi position mount it comes on.

Overall not bad! It uses quite a bit more current than a lot of the other fans out there and over a long day would gobble a lot of battery power but it's got quite a bit of airflow and the rotation is helpful in cooling. As I noted. Reminds me more of a half size house fan than a vehicle fan. it's more like the ones you see in school buses and semis. I can't complain though, it was FREE from a notorious tightwad! :D

Attachments

• IMGP0078.JPG
    IMGP0078.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMGP0074.JPG
    IMGP0074.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMGP0077.JPG
    IMGP0077.JPG
  • IMGP0075.JPG
    IMGP0075.JPG
  • IMGP0076.JPG
    IMGP0076.JPG
  • IMGP0079.JPG
    IMGP0079.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
The Ryobi fan is a good alternative. BW talks about the Ryobi tools, batteries and now their inverter in a recent video.

I have been considering the Ryobi fan for a long time. That with a battery and charger is less than 1/5 the amount of a fantastic fan. (That includes installation of the fantastic, I can’t do it myself. Just getting on the roof is too much.) So I’m thinking just set A Ryobi in the window and turning it the direction I wanted to go. Quietness I do not know yet. I think I will test it out at Home Depot before I put the money I want to see how noisy it is. I wish I had bought a Ryobi drill so that I can interchange batteries. I went with the cheap Walmart brand whatever it is. Maybe I can sell it for a little bit of money it ain’t worth any more than 10 or 15 bucks. I only spent 25 for it. It runs good though. I am definitely in need of a fan it was 84 today here in southern Florida. I have a couple of 5 V fans but they don’t do much.

Of course I would rather have the fantastic fan build with a remote control. But money is money so if I start out with the Ryobi and if/when I end up even having enough money to put in the fantastic. That would be fantastic.

I guess I didn’t answer any questions I’m asking along with you how noisy is the Ryobi. They have several models including one that has a Mister on it.