The Mexican Fisherman

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifted_Cowboy

Reaction score
An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.  Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna.  The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos.  I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”
To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”
“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.
The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part.  When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”
“Millions – then what?”
The American said, “Then you would retire.  Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

DC,

Excellent story. Thanks for sharing it.

It really does seem that many people cannot handle either much free time or a mind free to think new thoughts...so they frantically fill their days and lives with commitments and projects and jobs and rules and group-think in order to have little free time to just "be," and little danger of encountering the "terror" of new thoughts.

But, of course, such people are not content to live this way themselves: They insist on calling such frenetic and conformist living the only good and healthy way to live, and call anyone who doesn't want to rush around in a panic of ever-increasing obligations and rigidities...all kinds of names, such as "lazy," "irresponsible," "eccentric," "odd," a "drifter," a "trouble-maker," "immoral," a "parasite," a "loser," "unemployed," "underemployed," a "heretic," an "extremist," and so on.

Along similar lines:
“The human race is a monotonous affair. Most people spend the greatest part of their time working in order to live, and what little freedom remains so fills them with fear that they seek out any and every means to be rid of it.” ―Goethe, The Sorrows of Young Werther

GP

And what of us? Are we called by something far stronger than us to do what we do? I'm not necessarily including a deity by any name or idea but at the simplest we can understand perhaps a primal draw to fulfill our fundamental obligations as a human. Do we yearn in some way to be among them? To be so carefree and satisfied with only the world within the horizon?

I'm convinced that living so contrary to our nature by the rapid implementation of technology that humanity will face drastic changes in the very near future that we will not be prepared as a species to overcome. At the same time your very relevant quote sort of puts me in my place and reminds me that some things just never change.

I'm sitting outside in the sun. I'm a social type of fella. I wish there were more people outside their campers to chat with now and again. But they're all attached to their own boxes inside. So I sit outside on mine and talk to you and read your stories. I just don't think this all ends happily for the social creature that is man.

DC, you write:

"I'm sitting outside in the sun. I'm a social type of fella. I wish there were more people outside their campers to chat with now and again. But they're all attached to their own boxes inside. So I sit outside on mine and talk to you and read your stories. I just don't think this all ends happily for the social creature that is man."

You sound like a friendly and interesting person. And I'm sure that many who seek thoughtful interaction would find you to be excellent company.

I have found it important, however, to understand some of the different legitimate ways of being human, and to allow others to be themselves, even as I try to pursue the kind of life that enables me to be myself.

One of the important differences between people is that of extroverts vs. introverts. In the USA, extroverts outnumber introverts by 3 or 4 to 1. Ours is an extroverted culture. But in every culture and every age, some have craved more company, while others have craved more solitude.

Extroverts can accuse introverts of being insecure and having social anxiety and "isolating" themselves, while introverts can accuse extroverts of being afraid of being alone and of being too dependent on others' company, and rushing about aimlessly with the herd. Neither set of accusations is fair. Both extroverts and introverts are normal.

To apply this to the current thread, "The social creature that is man" is far more social in the case of extroverts, and far less social in the case of introverts. While some people have taken to their campers to explore the road and see more of nature, and would prefer, in their adventures, to socialize with other people, some of these other people have taken to their campers for the express reason of getting away from people--and the very last thing they want to do is to come out and talk to people. Both ways of being are normal.

As you say, you're "a social type of fella" and you "wish there were more people outside their campers to chat with..." I would like to remind you, though, of what you surely know--that many, many luminaries of every age (mostly introverts, I imagine) have sung the praises of solitude. Here's a small selection of their thoughts on the matter:

“I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of the time. To be in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

“A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.”
― Arthur Schopenhauer, Essays and Aphorisms

“If you are alone you belong entirely to yourself. If you are accompanied by even one companion you belong only half to yourself or even less in proportion to the thoughtlessness of his conduct and if you have more than one companion you will fall more deeply into the same plight.”
― Leonardo da Vinci

“I live in that solitude which is painful in youth, but delicious in the years of maturity.”
― Albert Einstein

“Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is richness of self.”
― May Sarton

“I am now quite cured of seeking pleasure in society, be it country or town. A sensible man ought to find sufficient company in himself.”
― Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

Wherever I am, the world comes after me.
It offers me its busyness. It does not believe
that I do not want it. Now I understand
why the old poets of China went so far and high
into the mountains, then crept into the pale mist.”
― Mary Oliver

“How much better is silence; the coffee cup, the table. How much better to sit by myself like the solitary sea-bird that opens its wings on the stake. Let me sit here for ever with bare things, this coffee cup, this knife, this fork, things in themselves, myself being myself.”
― Virginia Woolf, The Waves

“Language ... has created the word 'loneliness' to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word 'solitude' to express the glory of being alone.”
― Paul Tillich, The Eternal Now

Again, I think that extroverts, and the delightful socializing with good company...can be wonderful. Yet so can introverts, and the exquisite intensity of long solitude, be wonderful.

Let not the tiger and the lion debate whether hunting alone or in groups is more normal.

GP

I'm stuck in the extroverted introvert INTP category myself. I am predominantly a lone thinker that craves more social interaction than perhaps most. And selectively social at that. I crave the mental stimulus. Too many thoughts in my head and in order to work them all out I need to bounce my crazy off someone so I can filter out the noise.

If i was lucky enough to be anything thing I'd say kerouac and i would have one hell of a mad time. And for that I think I'll always be most grateful.

I once drove from fargo to Medora nd for some ice cream and good company. I'm quite certain the opportunity to share a fire and a meal will present itself down the road a spot. Even Walden couldn't hold Thoreau forever.

And the men who hold high places
Must be the ones who start
To mold a new reality
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart
The blacksmith and the artist
Reflect it in their art
They forge their creativity
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart

Philosophers and ploughmen
Each must know his part
To sow a new mentality
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart
You can be the captain
I will draw the chart
Sailing into destiny
Closer to the heart
-Rush

http://www.celebritytypes.com/intp.php

This page is neat if for nothing other than the quotes.

Cool story :)

I'm a simple guy and certainly not of fancy words and philosophy, but I know what I like.

For me, part of the travel experience is time spent with good folks. I have to go meet more, so I can only stay just so long before I hear the calling.
I like where we are now. People don't hide in boxes all the time. They walk in the evenings, enjoying the social. The tavern built a patio/bar for the locals so folks could visit sans the tourists. (last night was "open mic").

I like being social, but I'm fine with being alone with myself too. Hell, I kinda like me :)

Latest posts