Temporary Car-Dwelling in a Pontiac Sunfire oh my

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LongInTheTooth

Reaction score
Ok so I had to start my job 2 wks bfor the semester starts which means 2wks bfor I get my student loan refund which will allow me to get my van. (Update on that: literally just got email that loan $ should be in bank in couple days!! Woohoo! Let the van shopping commence!!):D

I currently have a 2005 Pontiac sunfire coupe. I had to be down here to work PT evenings Mon-Fri 5-9, so I figured I'd just car-dwell right? Yeah wow not a stealth vehicle! Lol although thus far I haven't been rousted. I'm in my 2nd week now and have learned a great deal about feasible parking locations. Let me share my short-term experiential wisdom:

1. Walmarts are WONDERFUL! Nuf said.
2. Hotels can be doable if u can figure out if they ask for ur license plate number and make of car. Not all hotels do. I've scoped out a couple that look promising but I'm so visible in the Sunfire that I don't want to try it out until I get my van.
3. Parking garage was awesome except for some asshole that pulled right up to my car at 2am shining his headlights right at me, then drove away. Some people's kids huh? Lol it was cheap and well lit and I felt totally safe in that particular garage. Spent 12hrs there = $6. It'll do in a pinch and it protects against bad weather (read: snow and ice buildup)
4. Hospitals : the one I'm in right now is free, feels safe and is comfortingly crowded and I haven't seen any security patrolling the lots since I got here at 10pm. Sounds awesome right? Yeah not so much! Didn't factor in the Life-Flights coming in every hour and dawg-gone those choppers are LOUD!!! Haven't hardly slept a wink. Got lots of research done tho! Lol

That's all I've tried so far. I've also learned that the best way to scope out a potential stealth spot is to go there late night and sit a while, get a feel for it. Lots of excuses you could give for sitting in ur vehicle for a bit. I used the "didnt wanna drive while talking on phone to long distance relative so I pulled over here to park and talk" last Fri night on my way home cyz it was the truth! ...pulled over in a dollar general and an hour later a cop pulled up to ask what I was doing. He ran my license "to see if I was wanted by FBI" he jokingly said ..then let me continue my conversation. My point is : if u see someplace that meets ur needs, go try it on for size!

Ok, I'm done rambling. Sleep deprivation us taking it's toll and I'm getting goofy lol

Here's reason 132 you shouldn't live in a sunfire if it's storming outside and ur famished ....yes I vented lol

Love to you all...

Nancy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
In the mid 90's myself and my ferret were put into a spot of living in my 87 chevy cavalier hatchback for roughly 3 months. I was in a fairly rural part of SC at the time, finding out of the way spots to park and sleep was never too much of an issue and my boss at the time knew my situation and would offer the parking lot on the weekedns, but Im also a very large male and certain security issues were more than likely less on my mind than they would be on yours. My rear windows were heavily tinted and I found if I emptied the hatchback (didnt have much with me anyhow) I could curl up and sleep back there relatively unnoticed. Overall I cant say it was great but it was what it was :) Hopefully everything will go as planned for you and you will be in your van and out of the sunfire soon. Happy travels

Good eye!! Yep it was Campbell's Hearty Ham and Bean soup...Yummmm!!!

This morning there's still a chill in the air here so I'm having soup for breakfast again. Soup is good food!

Shogun,
Unfortunately the back seats in this don't fold down altho I understand that on some if the sunfire models they do. Go figure mine doesn't have that feature! Lol akas, it's all part if the adventure right?

Been looking for white cargo vans on Craigslist all morning. So excited to finally be close to actually DOING something instead of hypothetically planning. Hard to plan when u don't have the van yet. It's all conjecture at this point lol

I keep my front seat empty just bcuz it drives me nuts to have clutter! Lol Back seat is pretty empty too, keep blankets, clothes, etc in trunk during day. Have cooler in back seat but that's about it cuz it won't fit in trunk.

I take yummy ***** women's one a day immunity vitamins every day, thank you for your concern and a good point you made. It's easy to resort to fast food and bad eating habits when it's inconvenient to cook normally. Can't wait to get van and have a proper "kitchen". No more cooking with the Coleman single burner on the front seat of the car! Lol

My daughter had a Sunfire about the same year. Wow! There isn't a lot of room inside, congrats on making it work in a pinch!! *bows*

Hope you can find your new van soon, will feel like a mansion compared to your current space. :) G'luck on the hunt!!

Spent the night tonight parked in a mutually shared lot between a Fairfield Inn and a Cracker Barrel. No security noticeably checking lot for "guests only parking", well-lit, not too crowded but full enuf to help me blend in, feels safe. Near highway so rather noisy but I listen to books on my iPhone to fall asleep to anyway so "story time" kinda overrides the background noise for me.

Don't usually eat out but boy I love Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole...hmmmmm. Might have to mosey on in there once they open.

Question: When u first started vehicle-dwelling, was it hard to sleep a solid 6-8 hrs? I can't seem to get more than 3.5hrs in. Which is ok this week and last, but I start classes next Monday and I will NEED to sleep more than that if I'm going to maintain my honors status I've worked so hard to achieve. I'm assuming it'll get better as time goes by and I get used to it, and of course getting the van will help a lot as well ...?

Gee whiz I love this site. Thank all of you so much for paving the way for us newbies!

Usually 4 and then 3-4 later. I work nights so this is done early morn and late eve.

In winter i might sleep in a lil more but not ussually.

gsfish said:
Back in the 80's my girlfriend found a wandering couple and we hosted them for a week or so. They were from Norway and had traveled all over the states and as far as Panama, ALL IN A PINTO STATIONWAGON!!

I spent five weeks myself traveling from Florida to Northern California and back. There were three of us in a 70's era Volvo stationwagon. Seemed like every function required unpacking and repacking the car. Oh yeah, we had three bicycles, three framed backpacks and one of the ladies brought eight pairs of shoes.

Good luck finding your perfect van,

Guy

OK so where were the 8 pair of shoes each for the other two of you? :)

Not sleeping well in the beginning is very normal! For most of us it gets better with time.

The van will tremendously help, you will feel much more secure and safe and of course you will be much more comfortable. Cars are so open you feel vulnerable.

Hang in their!!
Bob

Taking a short nap in my hard leather bucket racing seats in my Bimmer 3 series convertible makes my back ache. So I can't imagine what it's like sleeping all night in your Sunfire. Hope you get your loan fast! Good luck.

What has helped though is placing small pillows behind my lower back to help with lumbar support. You might want to try that if you haven't yet. Use sunshades too to block out as much light as possible on all sides.

LongInTheTooth said:
Question: When u first started vehicle-dwelling, was it hard to sleep a solid 6-8 hrs?

I've been sleeping in my Prius liftback on and off for 5 years. Each time I take off, it takes about a week for me to adjust even tho' my cot-size bed is very comfortable with blackout curtains all around. If I understand correctly, you are not able to lay completely flat in your car's back seat and your windows are uncovered. For me, I don't think I'd ever be able to sleep well that way. So, I'm very glad you are on your way to getting a van with sufficient space and privacy for you to really sleep comfortably and securely.

The best to you in finding your new van home and in beginning your classes!

Suanne ... whose Prius bed is more comfortable than her sticks-and-bricks bed

Bed:

One idea that might help is to take the passenger seat out (part your back leans against) but leave the base. Then stick some plywood or very thick cardboard over the base and put a 4 inch thick foam over that (you'll need the foam for the bed in the van anyway). I did this in a 1982 hatchback honda civic and it worked quite well. Stick the unused part of the seat in the trunk to re-attach later. Also you can get do it yourself "stick on" window tint from various car stores for all your windows in the back. That with a sun screen in the front windshield would help privacy alot.

best of luck!

Long, you're a trooper!

You definitely get my vote for "Toughest woman of the year".

Best wishes, I have faith in you - Slim.