tankless water heater, tank, and what?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janncwebb

Reaction score
I would like to have a tankless on-demand hot water heater with about a 6 gallon tank in the bank of the van that I could fill with an ordinary garden hose or any other water source I come across. I almost ordered one tonight, but it said it used 3.5 gallons a minute. Also, it was 33 lbs and that seemed too heavy. 

Any input on a great one to use and if so, what else do I need for making my "system"? Water heater, tank, ?? A pump? Will pvc pipe be okay? I do know a plumber that I can probably get to do it for me, but I'd kind of like to know what I'm talking about before I hit him up. 

Thanks in advance,
Jann

Here's a video about one installed in a trailer.

Janncwebb said:
I would like to have a tankless on-demand hot water heater with about a 6 gallon tank
I love my point-of-use water heater.  Use it in the summer when the furnace is turned off.  Once you find the right size, see if you can get the seller to give you schematics and installation instructions.
If you're near an RV sales place, see if they have a unit on their lot with a tank-less.  Go look at it, even take pictures if you can.  Good luck

couple of points, you don't need to heat hot water so there is really no such thing as a hot water heater. it's just a water heater. I am confused about this, a tankless water heater has no tank that is what make it tankless. it heats the water on demand so it doesn't need a tank. a standard water heater has a tank. highdesertranger

When Jann mentioned the LP heater, and a small tank of water, I took it to mean that would be the source of water to feed the heater.  It's possible the rig has NO water system. Dunno

highdesertranger said:
I am confused about this,  a tankless water heater has no tank that is what make it tankless.  it heats the water on demand so it doesn't need a tank. a standard water heater has a tank.

And on-demand water heater is usually connected to a building's plumbing. But since we're vehicle dwellers it would need to be connected to some other water source, like a faucet, an external water tank, maybe a natural body of water, or some kind of tank in the vehicle.

Yes said:
couple of points,  you don't need to heat hot water so there is really no such thing as a hot water heater.  it's just a water heater.   I am confused about this,  a tankless water heater has no tank that is what make it tankless.  it heats the water on demand so it doesn't need a tank. a standard water heater has a tank.   highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
you don't need to heat hot water...

Sometimes you do. Hot water out of the tap isn't hot enough to boil food, so you'd need to heat that hot water further.  :D :p :D