Tank Sensor Recommendations? Oh, and...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
Just placed the order for my water/holding tanks, now trying to get the rest of the pieces lined up.

Any opinions on this type of system?  SEELEVEL II™ TANK MONITOR
It used strips that adhere to exterior of tank and use capacitance to measure the fluid level in the tank.
I like the control panel with the combined switches for a few functions. Seems it will also measure LPG tank .

While on subject of tanks, I keep seeing different options for adding new ports...any opinions on how the ones that push/snap into place work versus the ones you need to create a 6" access hatch to get your hand in to tighten inside retaining nut?

Thanks!

I have it in my trailer for my fresh water, grey, and black water tanks. I like the fact that it gives % full, so instead of somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 full it would tell me the exact percentage. I can also program it to alert me when a tank is either "x%" full or empty, whichever would be more meaningful. IE, say I want to get an alert when my fresh water tank is less than 20%. Or my black water tank is over 75%, etc. That kind of thing.

I was told the LPG monitor would be for an onboard LPG tank, not the ones I have on the front of my trailer so I didn't use that.

All in all, I think it was a worthwhile purchase and I'm happy with it.

I have my eye on those external tank monitors. glad you are going to test them for us. LOL.

as far as the ports in the tank. if you order the tanks new you can add how ever many ports you want installed. if you already have tanks and want to add ports you simply glue bungs on the tank. actually gluing is not the correct term, when you add a bung they are adhered by a process that bonds them to the tank like welding. the bungs are permanent just like they where factory installed. do you have your tanks? do you know where you are going to get them? I have some links if you need them. highdesertranger

Yeah, just placed the order with Plastic-Mart.

All 3 tanks have standard fittings which can be customized for a small upcharge. I didn't feel confident enough to decide on final exact placement for the couple alterations I'll be making, to order it that way. I actually had a couple of their DIY fitting packages in the cart, but shipping on those items was over $50 for $48 of goods, so I removed them.

What exactly are you calling a bung?  Link it if you get a change please...

That's a slick system...have you ever done it? Their website seems to be limping along 20yrs out of date...in fact I can't actually find anything for sale. 

I just placed an order for SEE LEVEL 709 for just $179.00. It doesn't have some of the extra bells and whistles, but it is a 3 tank system...simply upgrading to the flavor that has a pump switch added $50 and I can live without that...

no I have never done the spin weld. I swear I had a link for a glue on type fitting but I can't find it. some of the tank sellers I have links to also have the spin weld fittings. who are you getting your tanks from? highdesertranger

Plastic Mart, linked above. Believe they are all polyethylene...

didn't you have the fittings installed with your order? they have a work sheet for when you order to locate your fittings. those are Ronco tanks. Ronco is like 15 miles from where my house in Orange County is. let us know what you think of the tank. I have been looking at Ronco tanks they are a little pricey. highdesertranger

lol...I feel like you don't read my posts   :D

BradKW said:
Yeah, just placed the order with Plastic-Mart.

All 3 tanks have standard fittings which can be customized for a small upcharge. I didn't feel confident enough to decide on final exact placement for the couple alterations I'll be making, to order it that way. I actually had a couple of their DIY fitting packages in the cart, but shipping on those items was over $50 for $48 of goods, so I removed them.

What exactly are you calling a bung?  Link it if you get a change please...

The spin weld thing looks great...number of videos I found on it, and I was going to go that way. But then I found that each fitting size requires a special driver that costs $70-$130 ( Driver ). The fittings themselves are cheap, but not doing enough to justify buying that (even though I did try to talk myself into it )

So it seems there are two other basic approaches. One is to cut a 6" hole/access panel in top of tank so you can get your arm in an tighten standard threaded fittings with washer/gaskets.

The more interesting solution is called Uni Seal which is basically a grommet that doesn't require any sealant or fasteners, and is held secure by pressure. UniSeal Install vid

Curious if anyone has any experience with this product?

the uniseals go into the top of the tanks for the toilet intake and drains. plastic mart has the form to add fittings when you order your tank, http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/12/rectangular-water-waste-tanks#fitting . you can get as many or as few fittings installed as you want. my question is why didn't you have them install the fittings? if it's not to late have them install the fittings. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the uniseals go into the top of the tanks for the toilet intake and drains.  plastic mart has the form to add fittings when you order your tank,  http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/12/rectangular-water-waste-tanks#fitting .  you can get as many or as few fittings installed as you want.  my question is why didn't you have them install the fittings?  if it's not to late have them install the fittings.  highdesertranger

please read post #10   :D

Latest posts