taking the plunge.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody82270

Reaction score
After much soul searching and discussions with the wife, we've decided to purchase a 26 foot rv, and head to san diego. We are tired of trying to save money only to get knocked over at every corner. We have owned a house, rented, both have had great jobs, and are tired of the rat race. Although we won't be stealthing it, we will save around 600 a month in rent alone. My job as a commercial fisherman and carpenter allows us some freedom, and nomadacy. After working for a company for 17 years, and getting laid off, my wife is completely burned out of living the corporate going life style. She's hard core, loves the outdoors and is ready for this. We have till june to for our lease to be up, so we are going to spend that time saving, downsizing, and planning. We don't have any children, but we do have two furbabies to consider. We've looked at a lot of rv parks in san diego, (close to the boat I work on), and have decided on a nice one called la pacification. 595 a month, club house, utilities, pool, etc. any tips we could get from you guys would be great. I rubbertramped when I was younger, in a toyota 4runner, and loved it. , but this is two of us dogs. So some creature comforts are desired. I love this sight, and look forward to hearing back from some of you. Thanks in advance, Woody.

Pacification supposed to be pacifica, and corporate going is supposed to say goon. Damn auto spell correct, lol.

Sounds like a great plan,you have time to prep for the trip,does this park have fenced lots?,how do you let the dogs out? George  

No fence George, but we walk our dogs twice a day every day. They are well adjusted to this, are crate trained, and already spend 8 hours or more a day alone with no issues. We are pretty sure they will have no issues getting used to the life style. If they do we'll just shoot them. Just kidding, we love our hounds.

Oh... how many times have I just wanted to "shoot 'em"... not always the "furbabies" though.&nbsp; LOL... just kidding!!!!&nbsp; <br><br>Your plan sounds awesome!&nbsp; Good luck with it!<br><br>

Yeah I get that,I was thinking of my dog, she runs around my place like crazy,(its about a acre) she's got a lot of energy.But she likes to walk on the leash too. wish you well in your plans.George &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

Sounds like you have a plan, and you have time to do the prep work. Good luck to you.

Ok...... Going down to san diego today to look at a sweet deal on a 31' pace arrow. Can slip right into the current owners spot at Pio Poco campground, if we buy the rig. $400 per month without membership, $200 with. Nice place, thousand trails, long term stats, 26 miles to downtown, store, pool, laundry, showers, etc. Wish us luck.

Best wishes on your new lives!

And please be sure to google/bing the independent reviews on Thousand Trails before plunking down any money.

So.... We bought the MH,, but decided against the park. The MH is going to need a little work on the interior, but nothing we can't handle. We found a pretty awesome park in san ysidro, that's clean, secure, and quiet. The rent is reasonable, and the people are very nice. We are giving our 30 day notice today, and will be moving in mid april. Since I'm a decent carpenter, we figured we'd build a screen room under the awning, this gives us practically another full room. Tear out a few cabinets, replace with shelving, and it'll really open up. Paint the interior, and pergo the floors. Tile the counter, off with the broken ac roof units, replace with custom skylights. Use a window unit for ac. See, we already got the bug!

<span style="font-size: x-small;"><strong>welcome .... blkjak</strong></span>

Funny thing.... People are jag offs. Guy backed out of the deal after we have him a 500 dollar deposit. Told us deal was sealed, then decided he wanted more after we drove 528 miles one way to go look at the goddamned thing. Told us he got a better offer, and tried to squeeze more money out of us. Told him nfw, and to refund my deposit. He said he would, and if I could come up with more money, I could take it. Told him his asking price was what we agreed on, and no more negotiations. He said he felt cheated, to which I replied, you should have asked for more than. How about us? 16 hours of driving, 150 bucks of fuel, and you friggin screw us. What a jag off. Jag off, jag off, jag off!

Guys name is Rick Carter, of Rick Carter designs in san diego. Has an ad on cl san diego. Don't believe this bullshitter. I'm lucky he wired my deposit back to me. The only reason I think he did, is because I told him I was calling the sheriff otherwise. Stats at Pio pico cg.

The powers that be have moved us in another direction. Found a pretty nice 37 foot fleetwood, an 89. Needs a lot of tlc, but better deal than old Rick the scammer have us. 2000 bucks runs, ready for us to renovate. Ahhhhhhhh relief!

Single pane windows. I'm a master journeyman carpenter, so I'm ok with doing a pretty professional instal of a window unit. Demolished the inside, now re paneling. Built new countertop, still working on it. Took out old fridge, (inefficient pos!) And turned space into cabinets. Going to get a apartment model. Since it won't be on the road, hardly ever, or for more than a couple of miles, it's being built more like a small apartment. Trying to upload photos from phone is a bitch, so I'll do it as soon as I can.