Taking off Back window of truck and drilling into camper shell.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carreola765

Reaction score
Well since I have not been able to find a van I want I'm thinking of just dealing with using my ford ranger with the camper shell for now. its 2002 and has 163k miles on it so I figured I might as well use it for another 100k miles if I can and just save more money.

My ford ranger does not have a sliding back window and yes I do actually want to be able to crawl back there so I am just thinking of taking it off completely but there is a gap between my camper shell and my cab so what should I do there just add some sort of rubber seal? Will I be able to block out the noise when driving?

How much do you guys think I can actually fit in there would I be able to put a battery and a small fridge or should I just stick with a cooler

Also this may be a stupid question but for the windows I want to put curtains up. Anyone know a good way to put up curtain rods? not sure if I want to drill into the fiberglass

I haven't seen one in a while but there used to be some trucks had a rubber inflatable "boot" or inner tube type deal that would seal between the cab of the truck and a camper shell. You have to secure the shell/camper to the bed of the truck good because the "boot" put some pressure on the shell to slide backwards when inflated enough to keep water out.

Get a rubber window boot. It's like weatherstrippng, but it' compressible and specifically made for trucks with camper shells. In my Ranger, I just have some reflectivix sheets cut to fit the windows and they press into the campers window frames. Cheers!

I have posted this several times, but will post it again. do not use the inflatable type boots. I don't even know if they make them anymore. they will rub your paint right off, plus when changing elevation the either blow up or deflate because of changing ambient air pressure. this also holds for the changing barometric pressure. so no inflatable boots you will be sorry. another type of boot the rubber seal, that uses the rubber shape to exert pressure against your cab. again rubs your paint off your cab, also does not seal very well in heavy rain. for me the only type of boot worth using is an accordion boot. this is an accordion boot http://uni-grip.com/?portfolio=accordion-seals . accordion boots mount like your window seals. seals out water, dust and drafts 100% they do not rub your paint, they flex with your truck. imho if you want a pass though this is the only way to do it. however the hole in your cab where the window was and the hole in the shell must be identical, not close, identical. if you are buying a new fiberglass shell this is easy order your shell with no front window. if you already have a shell and they don't match you can use fiberglass to make it match or aluminum. if you do the boot and the accordion boots wants to pop off when off roading use 3M weather strip adhesive to hold in place. btw I have installed all these types of boots though out the years even the old foam type boots. I will only install accordion boots now. so there is my 2cents. highdesertranger

+1 with HDR, the accordion boot is the way to go, but for the life of me I couldn't remember what it was called. Be sure when you get ready to put the 3M tape on that the cab and shell areas where the tape will go is super clean, and doesn't have any dust or ArmorAll on the paint. The tape won't stick to waxed or ArmorAll'd paint jobs, and the dust just makes it hard to stick. Cheers!

I have actually seen a Ford Ranger with a half topper that had an accordion boot. The half topper had a wood ledge which i suspect was for a pet of some sort. You can't even tell there is access from the bed unless you are looking, so any security issues you may have about that will hopefully be mitigated.

yeah it's the only way to go.  I don't really have good pics of mine.  but here's a shoot from the front of the cab looking into the sleeper.
axle3 004.JPG
yes that is a roll bar here's a shot of the front of the cab.
axle3 023.JPG
highdesertranger

Attachments

• axle3 004.JPG
    axle3 004.JPG
    107.5 KB
  • axle3 023.JPG
    axle3 023.JPG
    132.4 KB
HDR, is that expanded metal on the camper window? And if so, is it for security?

well it is expanded metal,  it's on a headache rack behind the window.  the way the sun is hitting it,  it looks as thought it's on the window.  here's a pic from the back.
axle3 036.JPG
you can see the headache rack and the expanded metal,  I built it to protect the back window,  plus now I can load up the back up to the top of the rack right up against the sleeper.  also in this pic you can see my 25 gallon water tank,  air tank,  and water expansion tank,  the water pump is there to but you can't see it because it's in the shadow.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• axle3 036.JPG
    axle3 036.JPG
    147 KB
Looks great, HDR. Do you have a build thread on your truck that I can see?

Great pics and great shots!

Any suggestions where you can get a boot from?

Does it have to be custom fit to the window, or just big enough to go all around it?

Bob

most camper shell places carry it or can get it. I think if you where to contact the manufacturer that I posted they could tell you where to get it. if you notice in the specs they give you a minimum and maximum length. you need to measure the gap you have and use that as a center point and then get one that the min and max is in the middle of the measurement. I can give you all some math if you like. Rollinwot I don't have a build thread on the truck I have one on the rear axle in the mechanical section and have been thinking on doing a review on the truck, if everybody wants one. when I put the diesel in I will do a build thread on that. Bob I haven't forgotten about going to the camper shell place, I have just been kinda busy lately, when I can break away I will make a thread and ask what everybody wants to know so I will have all the questions ready. oh Bob they sell it by the foot so you measure all the way around and add 1ft put the seam at that bottom there is a kinda special way to do the seam to seal it, I can post a how to if you want. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
there is a kinda special way to do the seam to seal it,  I can post a how to if you want.  

HDR,
I would be very interested in that post. Thanks!

Thanks HDR, but I'll wait until I actually have a truck and shell before I pursue the boot. I do like the idea of a pass-through. I'm too old and too big to climb through myself but I'd like to have it open to let heat and cold from the truck back into the camper. I'd also like to let my dog pass through but he usually want's to just sit beside me when we drive.

Very helpful information! Thank you.
Bob

Latest posts