Tablet owners where do you get you wi-fi?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Kencade

Reaction score
Greetings-

I want to purchase a tablet. I have Boost mobile as my cell carrier.

I was wondering where do tablet owners connect to wi-fi? Are hotspots all over? I figured most wi-fi connections would required passwords.

Any direction on this would be great.

Thank-
RK

There ARE wifi hotspots around...  McDonalds, and many other restaurants and coffee shops have them.  Most libraries as well.   I use the hotspot data function on my iPhone 6 with my Verizon data plan.  Since I have an iPad, I link the iPad mini3 to the iPhone by bluetooth which uses almost no power for either device.

I use the hotspot feature on my phone or one of the various hotspots that I use. I haven't used public WiFi in quite a while.

Libraries and senior centers are two places to look.

There are several apps you can put on your phone, some are free

and there are websites with wifi spots listed by state, city and/or zip code
http://www.wififreespot.com/

I just bought into the t-mobile new plan with unlimited everything that will also give me 10 gigs of Hotspot. I also have the pay-as-you-go Verizon jetpack in case tmobile isn't available.

I got the 100$ plan for two phones (no fees or taxes added on) . I'm sharing the other one with my #2 son who just started a new business and can't afford a good phone and plan. Otherwise, at $70 for a single line I would probably not buy this plan.

In not sure about the coverage , but will see. I Had Boost, but the signal was awful. We live in a barrio (a lower income Latino neighborhood) and I think the phone companies give us short shrift as far as good coverage. I had to give up Boost as i couldn't even make a phone call from my own house and I was surrounded by dead zones. And this was just 4 months ago . For me, Boost sucked.

Bought a tablet with cellular and added a line to my Verizon plan.

I get free wi-fi at lots of places ,some already mentioned.
Your device will tell you what ones are in range and if they are secured or open.
Some require you to click you agree to their rules before allowing you access .

Mostly I use the free wifi hot spots when I am traveling.  

Because of what I used to do...I needed to be able to download PDF files each morning.  I bought a KarmaGo (I do not recommend it).   It was ok, let me get the files into a word compatible app, then end the session.    This worked from anywhere mostly.   KarmaGo let's me buy a block of data without an expiration on it.  No contract.    It usually took me 2-3 months to use one block of 10gig

I have shared data between my phone and a Verizon Jetpack. The Jetpack is an easy to use hot spot.

Ipad 3, T-Mobile for my iPhone with a $10 unlimited data plan for the ipad.  Unlimited means maybe 2 MB at 4G speeds, any excess is at 3G...

Don't ever use financial sites like your banking or bill payment or buy from online retailers while on public wifi.  It's called "public" for a reason...