T@B or other teardrop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade from TENT!!!  Need something that a Subaru Forester can pull, approx 2000lb

Any suggestions? I need to be able to stand in it, does not need a bahtroom but would be OK if it did

highdesertranger said:
that's a tall order.  under 2k and standing room.  highdesertranger

i had a the smallest Coleman pop-up that pulled great with my subie..long story of how i lost it. But def want a non-pop-up this time around. The TAB just hits the weight limit, but I figured there has to be other ultra-lights out there with standing room...

tav-2020 said:
I am looking to upgrade from TENT!!!  Need something that a Subaru Forester can pull, approx 2000lb

Any suggestions? I need to be able to stand in it, does not need a bahtroom but would be OK if it did

Except for a few like the T&B, teardrops won't have standing room height.  You might look at some of the small molded fiberglass trailers like the Scamp, which at 13' will meet your weight limits and still have standing room.  Some have a small bath, most don't.  http://www.fiberglassrv.com/

will look at these! - just bookmarked site, WOW, thanks!

Some lighter weight ideas I know of, most with some experience. Fiberglass rigs like Scamps and Boulers. There was a Starcraft pup ( pop-up ) called a Meteor with only one bed. Vintage tent campers with real canvas and no appliances. Motorcycle trailers like the Time Out. All close to 1000 pounds.

Keep it Simple,
Simply,
Lesa

SimplyLesa.blogspot.com
Facebook, Tapatalk, CheapRVLiving.com, G+,

highdesertranger said:
that's a tall order.

I see what you did there! :cool:

Is there DIY / kit hardware for pop-ups?

Obviously certain weights, travel height would be spec'd, but are there ones that can use for any width / length roof?

tav-2020 said:
def want a non-pop-up this time around.
Oh well.

Google for DIY 'foamies' and "poor man's fiberglass".

Would still like DIY pop-up ideas if it isn't too highjacky

hey John you got the prize. I don't really know what the prize is but you got it. highdesertranger

John are you going to put a 500 lb capacity roof rack on it? Going to need some heavy duty lift cylinders!

My home made one is less than 2000 lb and I can stand up in it but it would have to be really aerodynamic on both ends to pull with a small car, sort of like the guy on ttnt trailers did with a hexayurt on a light weight trailer.

Pulling a trailer with a 4-banger means you should be looking at very lightweight trailers and much shorter than standing height to keep the aerodynamic load to a minimum.

You could have a small mini-camper like the Runaway Camper with an add-on tent room for the standing room you want.

runaway-camper.jpg

Attachments

• runaway-camper.jpg
    runaway-camper.jpg
    141.2 KB
there are pop-ups for motorcycles. Hell there are pop-ups for bicycles. a subaru makes more horsepower than my high top camper van. about half the torque but it weighs 2/3 less.

bullfrog said:
John are you going to put a 500 lb capacity roof rack on it? Going to need some heavy duty lift cylinders!

Actually separate ideas, but now that you mention it :cool:

Bed lifts need that sort of capacity!

Any links appreciated. . .

John61CT said:
Oh well.

Google for DIY 'foamies' and "poor man's fiberglass".

Would still like DIY pop-up ideas if it isn't too highjacky

already gave away my pop-up, so would not be able to convert, even with a kit...will search on it anyway, just to see whats out there. thx!

Somerset & Aliner could be worth a look as well as a search for " off road campers"