Sustainable Alternative to Luan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make a big deal about where the wood comes from, but I can't find what they use for glue in the laminating process - even on their spec sheet. I'm wondering about toxicity. Most plywoods that don't specifically say otherwise use formaldehyde as the base for their glue.

I used Luan in my build started 6 years ago, I never thought of environmental issues out of ignorance, it was cheap and looked ok. If I had known that my build would have turned out as nice as it has I would have used maple or some other nice veneer the reality is that Luan or this stuff you are looking at is cheap but in six years time do you think 150 dollars extra on a nice finished hardwood will make a difference to you, it wouldn't to me. In most of our builds the amount of wood is minimal so why not go for something really nice, I know I would if I had to do it over, just something think about as it is one of my regrets however I am not about to do anything about it.

masterplumber said:
They make a big deal about where the wood comes from, but I can't find what they use for glue in the laminating process - even on their spec sheet. I'm wondering about toxicity. Most plywoods that don't specifically say otherwise use formaldehyde as the base for their glue.

Could contact the company and ask. Chances are, if they're concerned with the environment then they probably use something eco-friendly in the glue, as well.

flying kurbmaster said:
I used Luan in my build started 6 years ago, I never thought of environmental issues out of ignorance, it was cheap and looked ok. If I had known that my build would have turned out as nice as it has I would have used maple or some other nice veneer the reality is that Luan or this stuff you are looking at is cheap but in six years time do you think 150 dollars extra on a nice finished hardwood will make a difference to you, it wouldn't to me. In most of our builds the amount of wood is minimal so why not go for something really nice, I know I would if I had to do it over, just something think about as it is one of my regrets however I am not about to do anything about it.

Since I plan to cover this in a vinyl or cloth (probably vinyl for cleaning purposes) the surface appearance isn't a concern for me.  For me, the fact that it's eco-friendly (er) is more of a concern.

Seems to me if there were no toxins etc. they would make that clear, the fact that they don't makes me skeptical...

Purebond stuff from HD would be the way to go I think...

masterplumber said:

From their MSDS sheet:

SECTION 2: COMPOSITION, INFORMATION OR INGREDIENTS Component Formaldehyde (LFE) CAS #50-00-0 - <0.1% by weight

Exposure Limit OSHA PEL TWA – .75 ppm 
OSHA PEL STEL – 2 ppm 
OSHA PEL ACTION LEVEL – 0.5 ppm 
ACGIH TLV – CEILING – 0.3 ppm 
ASTM E1333-96 – Equal to or less than 0.2 ppm (Large Chamber Test) 
Component Wood Dust – All species except Western Red Cedar 
Exposure Limit OSHA PEL TWA – 15mg/m3 (Total Dust) 5.0mg/m3 (Respirable Fraction) 
OSHA PEL STEL – 10mg/m3 
ACGIH TLV (r) – TWA – 5.0mg/m3; STEL (15 min) – 10.0 mg/m3(Softwood); 1.0mg/m3 (Inhalable) (Certain hardwoods such as beech and oak)

====================================

Not that I can pretend to understand whether that is good or bad.  Here is the link to the pdf file:

http://www.patriottimber.com/upload...heet-RevolutionPly-Plywood-VER-1-5-2-2014.pdf

Perhaps someone who knows could explain whether this is good or bad re formaldehyde?

Look for "NAF" or "ULEF" or "CARB Phase 2" mill stamps. These are indications that the product has compliance with California's efforts to reduce formaldehyde in composite wood products. The EPA is moving to reduce harmful off-gassing in wood products as well, but it isn't as far along in its regulation.

Most populated areas have hardwood distributors that are more than happy to sell to the public. I strongly suggest you find one in your area, and you will have access to the same high-quality wood products that cabinet shops buy, at equal or better prices to HD or Lowes. You can get sustainable FSC-certified plywood, which is typically also low emission.

Skip the luan and look for chinese birch plywood. Chinese birch is still a low end material, and it's fairly inexpensive. Even if you don't plan to ever see the wood it will be far stronger and more durable.

with all due respect I think they were looking for an environmentally friendly product. nothing that is made in China is environmental friendly. not even the beloved I-phone. highdesertranger