Suspicious Person: "Do you live in this neighborhood?"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are really reasons why I wont park in a city area. I cannot stand nosy busy bodies. Most people that live in cars/vans and such are usually good people that are just down on their luck. These nosy people that dont want them parking on their street dont realize how many of their neighbors are some bad people that they should be worried about.

This is why I'd choose what residential area I would park in at any given time. I would still rather stick to commercial areas.<br /><br />As others have mentioned, commercial areas are where plain white vans look like they belong on the property. I know of a few commercial properties where I'll be parking that already have white vans parked here in the Vegas area. This will be when I start my "mobile" lifestyle next year.<br /><br />One indicator of a place to reconsider parking is a neighborhood with "Neighborhood Watch" signs posted. These are the neighborhoods where you may find people paying attention to a new strange vehicle on their block.<br /><br />All it will take is one nosy person to call the authorities to check on that strange new vehicle parked on their block.

ParadiseParrot said:
&lt;p&gt;Meth dealers? Crazies. You guy live in some pretty bad places.&lt;br /&gt;You and your kids would be better off elsewhere. I have never been wealthy but I won't life in a ghetto.&lt;br /&gt; .....

Actually I live in the middle of nowhere in KS. Currently i am homesteading. Mainly I am surrounded by farmers fields. You be surprised how much dealers make if they are smart they don't all live in the ghetto. And I wouldn't live in a city if I was paid to. But to get to his place all of his customers drive by mine.

Once the kids are out of the house I'll have my early retirement set and will be on the road. Too bad that is 8 years away. But then it's deeper into the wilderness for me. My stealth will be to blend in with any other campers that can get to where I am. So the white van would be out of place.

Roll in at 11pm, roll out at 6am.&nbsp; The odds of anyone ever even knowing you were there are so low...<br><br>I work nights doing deliveries out of a car at the moment so I know how dead most residential areas are at night. <br><br>Of course, if you roll in at 5pm and act like you own the place then people are going to be annoyed, they're paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for what you're doing for free - living in their nice neighborhood.&nbsp; Or if you set up shop and stay put for a few days.&nbsp; There's nothing stealthy about a strange man living in a van parked on your street!<br><br>And @ pikachu, too true about the neighbourhood watch.&nbsp; you don't want to end up as the next Trayvon Martin because some idiot with a pistol decided it was his job to detain you until the cops go there.

After the "suspicious person" thing I started parking a few miles away and moving my van to a different street every 3 days.

Then there was a college kid who didn't even live in the area he just parked during the day and took the bus to University . He never saw me, just my van. He started crashing into my van with his beater car. He would drive up to down several streets looking for my van. It would wake me up in the morning and late at night.

After a while I moved to a new location miles away and have been okay so far, except for on weekends sometimes drunks from the bars will lean on my van while they are talking to other drunks and spill their beer on my van.