Survive on $600 living out of vehicle??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bindi&us said:
I urge all vets to check the benefits available.
I found out, quite by mistake, that I qualified for a Navy pension (not retirement).
A DAV service officer helped with the application and 3 months later I woke to find my income increased by 400 bucks/mo. It also included a settlement for the 3 months I waited.

VA medical...Please, look into this. The VA covers me with no co-pay. Being an oxygen patient, they keep me breathing.

I did check today. I called and got some information from them. They started a intent to file and are sending me the applications. The person I talked to did say that it might be questionable if I get the pension because he didn't think they used basic training as part of the 90 day active duty time ( I was just in the AF National Guard only....straight Guard for 11 years, not full time military). But said I should still file because of different rules for different circumstances. I have a year to file.
Thanks for this information.

The VA system, however, appears to engage in reprehensible practices at time. Confused (No further comment on this because of political limitations)

Without the political...I am retired from USMC service and retired from the world and can use any Naval or military hospital or the VA...also Tricare and Medicare.....

The incidents in the VA are isolated and certain bad apples are dealt with once known.

The VA has saved my life twice.....however a few apples could care less once the doctors went home for the day.

But it is still worth looking into and seer what happens.

As a side note Steveway I would respectfully advise to use a service officer from a service organization to fill out paperwork as wording is critical and the application can be repetitive and redundant....

You don't have to join, although they would like you too...to get them to help you.

Good luck and stay focused!

Phantom Blooper said:
Without the political...I am retired from USMC service and retired from the world and can use any Naval or military hospital or the VA...also Tricare and Medicare.....

The incidents in the VA are isolated and certain bad apples are dealt with once known.

The VA has saved my life twice.....however a few apples could care less once the doctors went home for the day.

But it is still worth looking into and seer what happens.

As a side note Steveway  I would respectfully advise to use a service officer from a service organization to fill out paperwork as wording is critical and the application can be repetitive and redundant....

You don't have to join, although they would like you too...to get them to help you.

Good luck and stay focused!
That is exactly the same thing the person told me when I called the VA. He said, to contact the  local VFW, American legion, etc to have them help me fill out the papers when they arrive. He also said to go to at least 3 agencys and the one that seemed to be more informative and knowing is the one I should use to help fill out the forms. Do you have any names of some organizations I could look into besides the ones I mentioned?
Thank you

I have never used them but they come to town once or twice a month. Each state has a commission on veterans affairs, for me, I can just google for Kansas veterans commission and get the website. They help with paperwork and questions. The website would have more details.

akrvbob said:
I've camped with Suanne in her Prius for a couple months and she does really well in it and I think your Escape will have more room. One thing she does is carry a tent, not to sleep in but to move her stuff into as a garage. That way she has more room to move around inside the Prius. Also, the weather is a big part of it. If you can set up a little camp and cook and lounge outside then you don't feel cramped at all, the  Escape is just the bedroom.  

If it were me I'd get a roof rack for stuff and probably a back hitch haul.

I can't comment about how you will do because we never know until we're actually doing it, but it's entirely possible to do it and really like it.
Bob
I have checked Suanne's site and her travels with you. You are right she does very well with her Prius. She is a real inspiration to me, in that it gives me confidence to see another person doing the car dwelling.
I have 2 tents. A small 4 person dome, and a 6 person instant Coleman tent. I am going to bring one of them. I am up in the air about whether to do the instant or dome. The instant is very quick and easy to put up.....a lot faster than the folding pole type of dome tent. The problem is, the Coleman instant tent takes up more room in the Escape. And that may be the deciding factor on which one to take. I would probably have to give up something to do the instant. Then again is it better to have a bigger tent when I am set up at times to give me more room for moving around? I will have to see at packing time.
I know what you are going to say, use a roof rack or hitch haul. Well, I am unsure about those 2 as well. The Escape is very tall, (5 foot 5 inches). I am only 5' 6". I will have a hard time getting things in and out of a roof rack cargo carrier. And I use the rear hatch a lot to put things in and out of the vehicle. I am going to maybe forgo those two things and see how I get along without them. Then if after a while things are too cramped, I will think about adding one or both. Unless.......someone comes up with some good counter reasons to add one or both before I head out instead. I am trying to keep an open mind on all this and doing some heavy weighting and deciding on even the smallest of things.

Stevesaway - use a hitch haul, since roof rack is too tall. If you have a class 1 hitch you can get a platform attachment for around $80. Some fold up when not in use.

Military situations vary. But typically around ten years in reserves or guard gets you no benefits at all. I call myself a veteran because I had ten years all reserve. But if you were never full time active the federal VA system treats you like you never served. State might give you something but they tend to adopt federal rules and say reserve duties means nothing. Mostly for federal budget reasons. If they covered reservists with any time, they would be flooded with medical assistance requests. Work with DAV and/or American Legion as they might get you much further than working the review on your own.

Can echo what others say about Mr Looread. He knows how to make the various low cost living options work on the east coast. But the distances to be covered are serious. 1500 miles typical to change the weather and adapt. While in Arizona it might be only 300 miles. This is why many choose a western life

First time poster who has many years 'til social security/medicare age, but I successfully helped my former roommate negotiate her social security & get medicare coverage for FREE due to her low income.

If your social security income is pretty low, you probably qualify for a Medicare savings program to pay the ~$100/month cost for medicare part b (the "optional" every day medical insurance portion) & potentially your copays & deductibles as well. Part A (hospitalization insurance) has no monthly premium.

You can find more information here at the link below. Applications for this go through your home state.
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medic...avings-program/medicare-savings-programs.html

Snow Gypsy said:
I have never used them but they come to town once or twice a month.  Each state has a commission on veterans affairs, for me, I can just google for Kansas veterans commission and get the website.  They help with paperwork and questions.  The website would have more details.

Thanks I will check them out. They may be able to tell me if I have a chance to get something in the form of a pension. The sticking point may be that they don't count basic training as active duty as far as some of the benefits are concerned. But as part of my discharge I have a paper that shows I have 90 days active service credit for the VA. I am going to keep pursuing it,till they officially turn me down, from the VA itself.

Also, if you get static from the VA, sometimes your congressman can help negotiate the system. There has been a lot of problems and our congress people in KS have really tried to stay on top and keep a running list of problems that people encounter. When they call the VA, it may take some time but you will get an answer. Also, keep copies of whatever you submit, jot down dates you call/email, etc. "Document" everything just in case.

Snow Gypsy said:
Also, if you get static from the VA, sometimes your congressman can help negotiate the system.  There has been a lot of problems and our congress people in KS have really tried to stay on top and keep a running list of problems that people encounter.  When they call the VA, it may take some time but you will get an answer.  Also, keep copies of whatever you submit, jot down dates you call/email, etc.  "Document" everything just in case.

I will do that. I am making copies of everything, and have started a special file in my file cabinet just for this VA pension process.
thanks for the advice

Private campgrounds are way out of range for frugal living, $600 a month just in campsite fees. Even in the East, free dispersed camping is not that hard to find (very easy, in fact, in some regions). Just like panning for gold, you need an observant eye, intuition, and a little luck. Rule of thumb: As long as it is not fenced, developed, posted, or blocking a road, go right ahead!

Places to look (success will vary): pipeline and power line rights of way, near river bridges, between railroads and roads, alongside unpaved "driveways" with no mailbox on the road, alongside dirt roads (if risk of LEO interaction is not a concern), roadside embankments (check for mud), unposted commercial forest land, wildlife management areas, visitor parking in apartment complexes, roadside subdivision parking (not in front of a house), gravel pits, supermarkets, Walmart, a new friend's driveway (or couch), and so on.

Work-stays and volunteering is a great way to stretch your dollars.

Same with free or cheap showers. You may have to bend some ethical rules to get them, but still, that $2 donation to the state park entitles you to a shower in the campground, right? If all else fails, there is the family restroom at Walmart.

USExplorer said:
pipeline and power line rights of way

I would expect these to be considered as possible targets for terrorist attacks, and, as such, I think people near them are going to attract unwelcome official attention.

IMNPHO

Regards
John

TUSExplorer said:
Private campgrounds are way out of range for frugal living, $600 a month just in campsite fees. Even in the East, free dispersed camping is not that hard to find (very easy, in fact, in some regions). Just like panning for gold, you need an observant eye, intuition, and a little luck. Rule of thumb: As long as it is not fenced, developed, posted, or blocking a road, go right ahead!

Places to look (success will vary): pipeline and power line rights of way, near river bridges, between railroads and roads, alongside unpaved "driveways" with no mailbox on the road, alongside dirt roads (if risk of LEO interaction is not a concern), roadside embankments (check for mud), unposted commercial forest land, wildlife management areas, visitor parking in apartment complexes, roadside subdivision parking (not in front of a house), gravel pits, supermarkets, Walmart, a new friend's driveway (or couch), and so on.

Work-stays and volunteering is a great way to stretch your dollars.

Same with free or cheap showers. You may have to bend some ethical rules to get them, but still, that $2 donation to the state park entitles you to a shower in the campground, right? If all else fails, there is the family restroom at Walmart.
Even though these may seem like easy free camping I would not be sleeping at most of them. I would probably be doing, a wild life management area, occasional Wal-Mart, but the rest that you mentioned would make me as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. But I guess in a pinch I could try one of the more riskier (in my mind at least) of these places out. I have snuck into a State park shower house one time for an emergency shower. Worked well, but I was a little nervous about even doing that. Just didn't seem right as far as honesty went. But it was sort of an emergency or tight circumstance, either way you want to put it.
I have my Senior lifetime national parks pass and that gets me 50% off camping which I can do here and there. I am probably going to concentrate on going out West for the BLM lands. And some New Mexico free campgrounds I found out about on here. These are for sure places that are designed for free camping for the public. In my mind I just feel safer there. I can start researching more in the field there. Bob has it down to a system and I am sure that I can get about as good as he does after awhile of being there in those areas.  Of course that is yet to be seen.
Thank you for your suggestions.

akrvbob said:
My girlfriend gets $700 a month on SS . She gets the state of Arizona to pay her part B for her. Out west she never pays for camping, we always disperse camp for free.

She lives frugally and carefully but has a very good life. She worked at Amazon last winter and built back up her emergency fund but things come up and chip away at it so you will probably have to work every couple of years to build up your emergency fund. But there are lots of good ways to make a bunch of money in a summer or fall so that's not hard.

Come out here, become an Arizona resident and have them pay your $100 for part B. It's very easy to move with the seasons and stay comfortable summer and winter  and never leave the state.

It's the best possible life for you as hard as that is to believe. What's your option? Get into low income housing and sit in a rocking chair watching TV and waiting to die?

How can that possibly be preferable to living free and wild on Gods green (and brown) earth?
Bob

In Texas part A and B are $104 a month. As of 2016 part A and B will be around $127.00. You have to remember part A and B covers 80%. You have to get a supplement insurance that covers the other 20%.
I've read that in the next few years, there's going to be more increases.
I been thinking about going all the way with my VA health care. With the VA, if you live over 50 miles from a VA hospital, you can sign up for the Veterans Choice Program. Means in emergencies you can go to any local hospital and it will be covered.

akrvbob said:
My girlfriend gets $700 a month on SS . She gets the state of Arizona to pay her part B for her. Out west she never pays for camping, we always disperse camp for free.

She lives frugally and carefully but has a very good life. She worked at Amazon last winter and built back up her emergency fund but things come up and chip away at it so you will probably have to work every couple of years to build up your emergency fund. But there are lots of good ways to make a bunch of money in a summer or fall so that's not hard.

Come out here, become an Arizona resident and have them pay your $100 for part B. It's very easy to move with the seasons and stay comfortable summer and winter and never leave the state.

It's the best possible life for you as hard as that is to believe. What's your option? Get into low income housing and sit in a rocking chair watching TV and waiting to die?

How can that possibly be preferable to living free and wild on Gods green (and brown) earth?
Bob

gojo said:
In Texas part A and B are $104 a month. As of 2016 part A and B will be around $127.00. You have to remember part A and B covers 80%. You have to get a supplement insurance that covers the other 20%.
I've read that in the next few years, there's going to be more increases.
I been thinking about going all the way with my VA health care. With the VA, if you live over 50 miles from a VA hospital, you can sign up for the Veterans Choice Program. Means in emergencies you can go to any local hospital and it will be covered.

Gojo, see my post upthread, pasted below. I think Bob & I are talking about the same program. For the very low income without traditional resources, the state will cover your monthly premium AND copays so no supplemental insurance is needed.

pnwgypsy said:
First time poster who has many years 'til social security/medicare age, but I successfully helped my former roommate negotiate her social security & get medicare coverage for FREE due to her low income.

If your social security income is pretty low, you probably qualify for a Medicare savings program to pay the ~$100/month cost for medicare part b (the "optional" every day medical insurance portion) & potentially your copays & deductibles as well. Part A (hospitalization insurance) has no monthly premium.

You can find more information here at the link below. Applications for this go through your home state.
https://www.medicare.gov/your-medic...avings-program/medicare-savings-programs.html

pnwgypsy said:
Gojo, see my post upthread, pasted below.  I think Bob & I are talking about the same program.  For the very low income without traditional resources, the state will cover your monthly premium AND copays so no supplemental insurance is needed.

Great site, interesting. I will be retiring in 2016. Maybe there should be a thread on just this subject, because there's probably a lot van dwellers in the same boat.  I see I don't qualify, thank you anyway.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/pension/

VA Pension: Enhanced Pension Benefits

As Veterans and survivors consider applying for Pension benefits, VA would like to share important information about the Pension program. Learn how the VA Pension Program can help you.

VA's pension program provides monthly benefit payments to certain wartime Veterans with financial need, and their survivors. As Veterans and survivors consider applying for these benefits, VA would like to share important information about the pension program and organizations offering assistance with pension applications.

More info at the webpage

Me and Vic are in Fl. this year and between my big Free Campgrounds book,the free camping sites online ,the AmLegions,VFW,Moose clubs,we have plenty of free choices.Bob is right.If you are fulltiming on a budget,Az makes the most sense.

Ah well, looks like no VA Pension for me.  I do not meet their eligibility requirements:

2mebccp.jpg

I served during peacetime the whole nine and a half years, and am under 65 years old and am not disabled or on SS of any kind yet.