Survival tips for Baltimore Maryland?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael T.

Reaction score
Hello everyone of the community! I have been fulltiming in my van in Texas for about a year now.

I am used to warm climates and bright blue skies and open spaces. I am moving to Baltimore, Maryland in a few weeks for work.

What should I expect, what gear do you recommend, and how do I make it reasonably comfortable to sleep in my van through the next year or two?

My van is already insulated with polyiso, 2.5 inches on the ceiling, 2inches on the walls and doors, 1 inch in the floor, with 1/4 inch raw plywood walls and ceiling, 1/2inch raw plywood floor. I also have a bulk head between the cab and the living space 4 inches thick made of two by four construction with the cavities filled with 4inches of polyiso. 

I have 13 gallons of fresh water storage in the living compartment, 1 month of food storage, 2 weeks of clothes(half short sleeve, half long sleeve, two coats, one medium thickness cotton, the other heavy wool in full length russian military trench style) I have an abundance of thin to medium thickness cotton socks and some standard cotton underwear, boxer-briefs. I have thinly wool lined leather gloves, leather boots, and a russian military style insulated leather hat with sheep skin brim and folding wind flaps.

Finally, I have a 9inch AC powered desk fan, no roof vent or other venting besides the front van windows, and a handy heater (300-400 watts microheater used in bathrooms) powered by a 2000 watt pure sine inverter with 4000 watt surge, 960 watts (880 watts after line and conversion losses) of solar panels fixed to the roof rack, and a midnight solar STAR TS-60 charge controller. I also have two EVA-dry 500 cubic foot capacity passive dehumidifier units.

For those of you who read it, is my setup sufficient? what else do I need? I have a budget of about 1000 dollars for upgrades; Am I boned or will I be living the high life in the van? Let me know!

I will probably be working 10-16 hours per day for the next year pretty consistently, so I plan to pretty much do nothing but sleeping in the van most of the time.  I work at the john hopkins labortatory, and alternately at various makerspaces around the area. My only transport other than the van is a bicycle. So I would like to have relatively stable parking within 10 miles of job hopkins university.

Any sage advice, tips or other knowhow is greatly appreciated!

One of yours-

Michael

You are probably going to want to invest in a Mr Buddy heater and the propane tank to go with it.

Solar power in Baltimore in winter is going to be minimal. That heater won't last long and you'll be hell bent to try to get enough solar to bring the batteries back up to full charge.

Use the Mr. Buddy to heat the van when you first get back to it and first thing in the morning. Do NOT use it while you are sleeping. I got 10 full days of use out of a 20lb propane tank so a 20 lb tank used for evening and morning warm ups will go a long way.

Install rain guards on the front windows of the van so you can leave the windows cracked for ventilation while you have the Mr. Buddy running.

I'd also get some serious microfleece thermals to wear to bed, including socks and either a hoodie or a hat that will stay on.

Oh, and get snow tires for your bicycle.... :D

Michael T. said:
I have a gun ( CZ-75 9mm), a shark tooth folding case knife, two cans of pepper spray, one small one large, and a 22 inch hand axe. I have the gun and axe in the van at all times in hidden quick release mounts and I keep the knife and small pepper spray on me or within arms reach at all times.

Why body armor? is baltimore really that violent? even to somewhat mad vandwelling scientists?

@ Almost There

Thanks for the helpful advice! any specific brands or items you could point me towards? besides the buddy I mean.

Do you know why I might need a kevlar vest?

The climate in Baltimore is mild. You’ll acclimatize to it quickly. Personally, I wouldn’t even use a heater of any sort.

Let us know how it goes overall. A DC area RTR while Congress was in session might be very productive.

DLTooley said:
The climate in Baltimore is mild. You’ll acclimatize to it quickly. Personally, I wouldn’t even use a heater of any sort.

Let us know how it goes overall. A DC area RTR while Congress was in session might be very productive.

LOL I imagine it could be fun to have a big convoy of vans and RVs rolling up to capitol hill.  "hey guys, we are just here to watch the show".

I was under the impression that Baltimore got well under -15 C  during the winter for days or weeks at a time? are you just immune to refrigeration or is my information faulty?

Posted by Michael T. - Yesterday, 10:34 PM
I have a gun ( CZ-75 9mm), a shark tooth folding case knife, two cans of pepper spray, one small one large, and a 22 inch hand axe. I have the gun and axe in the van at all times in hidden quick release mounts and I keep the knife and small pepper spray on me or within arms reach at all times.

Why body armor? is baltimore really that violent? even to somewhat mad vandwelling scientists?

I hope you realize it is illegal in Maryland to carry a gun in a vehicle.
If your lab is on the University campus that could be a separate problem as well.
Maryland ranks just below NJ, NY, CA and DC as being 'unfriendly' to gun owners.

Yes, Baltimore is a fairly dangerous locale. Hopefully you can find some safe spaces to dwell.

And yes it gets cold in the winter; hot and humid summers. Spring and Fall are nice though.

Never watched The Wire huh?

Of course it isn't always like that all over town.

See if you can find places outside of town a bit but cheaply / easily accessible commuting to and from your workplace.

I bet if you treated it like a job hunt, you could find a property owner that would be happy to let you park your mobile dwelling, maybe even let you plug into mains power,

in exchange for acting as an informal security guard.

Just don't do it protecting high-value commercial goods in a dicey neighborhood. Ideal would be residential, maybe a scared elderly person.

johnny b said:
Posted by Michael T. - Yesterday, 10:34 PM

I hope you realize it is illegal in Maryland to carry a gun in a vehicle.
If your lab is on the University campus that could be a separate problem as well.
Maryland ranks just below NJ, NY, CA and DC as being 'unfriendly' to gun owners.

Yes, Baltimore is a fairly dangerous locale. Hopefully you can find some safe spaces to dwell.

And yes it gets cold in the winter; hot and humid summers. Spring and Fall are nice though.

I had no idea. Thanks for telling me! is there any other odd laws I should be aware of? My mentor has agreed to let me stay in his dive way in a gated community, but I am not sure about plugging in for power.

Michael T. said:
@ Almost There

Thanks for the helpful advice! any specific brands or items you could point me towards? besides the buddy I mean.

Do you know why I might need a kevlar vest?

I carry two weights of thermal underwear - the lightest is like ladies tights. A long sleeve t-shirt (synthetic) and a pair of long light track pants will work as well. The heavier 'long johns' are simply microfleece - can't recommend a brand because mine are ladies wear and I don't know what is available for men. I shopped at Mark's Work Warehouse for mine while on my way to an outdoor sporting goods store - never made it to the REI/MEC shop... :D On really cold nights I add a microfleece zip up hoodie that I bought from W/M.

As someone else said, always, always change out of your daytime clotihing and keep a separate set of clothing, right from socks on up, strictly for nighttime wear.

If you're sleeping on a foam or regular mattress you shouldn't need additional bedding underneath you but you might want to add a fleece liner (packpacking/hammocking style). I know that adding the fleece liner to my bedding allows me to go down another 10 degrees F when it's really cold. I generally am comfortable in cold weather down to about 15 F with my set up. I do have a 30 year old duvet that I fold in half to fit my bed.

The kevlar vest was an insinuation that the whole of Baltimore is one great big crime scene. Some people are alarmists and carry a lot of fear inside them.

Michael T. said:
My mentor has agreed to let me stay in his dive way in a gated community, but I am not sure about plugging in for power.
If cost is an issue, offer to pay for a sparkie to put in a separately metered plug for you.

Make it a 50A 240 circuit like they have at RV parks if you have high loads like aircon.

An outlet panel like this will give flexibility: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A8FQUYW/

If you're really motivated, get your off-grid energy storage set up so you can get by for a few days at a time unplugged (not aircon of course)

No need for solar long as you have regular access to cheap mains power.

Yes more expensive than what's immediately needed, but cheaper than rent for sure, and you're then well-positioned to be independent for when the time comes, and weekend trips in the meantime.

My goal is to set things up so I can recharge my House bank off various outlets, EV stations J1772 plug, NEMA 14-50 or regular NEMA 5-15/20R.

I was born and raised in Maryland and Baltimore can get very hot and humid in the summer. Winters aren't too bad but you can get some cold spells and expect one good snowstorm a year.

At night I would stay out of Baltimore whenever I could because crime is pretty bad.

Do not wear any New York Yankees gear. The Yankees are hated more than the British who attacked the city in 1814.

deadwood said:
i would suggest a kevlar vest.

It's midnight and I'm laughing out loud like a looney! I lived in the Baltimore area for a number of years, and that's actually not too far off the mark depending on where you're at. Hopkins is not in a friendly part of town, but town overall isn't that friendly outside the touristy inner harbor. And I'm going to be honest - the whole area is in general pretty grungy and ghetto, traffic is a horror, it's noisy, and I'm going to bet if you like wide open spaces, east coast cities are not for you. 

So, places to boondock? Hmmmm. If you head East on Route 40 from Hopkins, you'll hit some isolated industrial areas - you know abandoned old mills near railroad tracks under highway overpasses. Sounds like paradise - doesn't it? If you keep heading east you'll hit some more "residential" areas like Rosedale, Essex and Dundalk. We used to call Dundalk the land that time forgot. I don't know how to explain it to you, you'll just have to see it for yourself. Hope you like mullets. (LOLOLOL)

If you need some local slang to get by with the eastside locals, just call everyone HON. As in Hey HON, let's go down to the Ponka Bird and get them $2 Natty Bo's! (I'll just leave that with you)... In fact every summer, there's a big street fair called HON Fest (I kid you not). For any other local flavor questions, just hit me up!

Baltimore was ... how can I say this delicately .... not the nicest city Ive ever been in. But it at least was better than Trenton NJ. :)

I bounced around between a couple of Walmarts and Cracker Barrels on the outside of town.

To be fair, though, Baltimore did have some cool things to see--Ft McHenry, the Aquarium, the Science Museum, and the ships in the Inner Harbor. I had a good time there.

WanderWoman9 said:
It's midnight and I'm laughing out loud like a looney! I lived in the Baltimore area for a number of years, and that's actually not too far off the mark depending on where you're at. Hopkins is not in a friendly part of town, but town overall isn't that friendly outside the touristy inner harbor. And I'm going to be honest - the whole area is in general pretty grungy and ghetto, traffic is a horror, it's noisy, and I'm going to bet if you like wide open spaces, east coast cities are not for you. 

So, places to boondock? Hmmmm. If you head East on Route 40 from Hopkins, you'll hit some isolated industrial areas - you know abandoned old mills near railroad tracks under highway overpasses. Sounds like paradise - doesn't it? If you keep heading east you'll hit some more "residential" areas like Rosedale, Essex and Dundalk. We used to call Dundalk the land that time forgot. I don't know how to explain it to you, you'll just have to see it for yourself. Hope you like mullets. (LOLOLOL)

If you need some local slang to get by with the eastside locals, just call everyone HON. As in Hey HON, let's go down to the Ponka Bird and get them $2 Natty Bo's! (I'll just leave that with you)... In fact every summer, there's a big street fair called HON Fest (I kid you not). For any other local flavor questions, just hit me up!

Thanks for getting back to me with your experiences!

Would you mind filling me in on any dos and donts of the people up there? are there any weird sort of "etiquette" things I should be aware of that are unique to Baltimore and Maryland?

Car breaks ins are EXTREMELY common in Baltimore.  Anyone who has lived there for any length of time will either have it happen to them or someone they know.  Neighborhoods can change block by block.  The easiest solution is to stay outside of the beltway and not in the city.  When I lived in the city as a kid our car was stolen multiple times.  Crack heads will smash a window for 50 cents. 

If you are going to school or something then I'd park your van at a park and ride, like the one in White Marsh and take the bus or something into the city. 

As for the weather it went down to zero F last winter.  Summers can be very hot and humid.  Not AZ hot but how about 95F and 90% humidity.

How can one sleep overnight at Cracker Barrels when they close at 10 PM? It seems any leo driving by would know.

Police are usually fine if the private property owner is.

Cracker Barrel policy is to allow travelers and RVers to overnight.

On any well-travelled highway you can usually see three or four vehicles overnighting at the local Cracker Barrels.

Latest posts