Survey of The Best Prepaid Talk/Text or Data Cellphone Plans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastTense

Reaction score
The Best U.S. Prepaid Talk and Text Only Deals
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/02/best-prepaid-voice-plans.html
The Best US Prepaid Phone Plans For Data Users
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/02/best-prepaid-data-carriers-and-plans.html

PS. Pageplus Cellular (which sells Verizon service) will offer 4G sometime in October (unfortunately this is only for the $29.95/month or greater monthly plans--not the cheap pay-as-you go plans). I expect the other Verizon MVNOs will also--but no one is giving details yet.

I looked and I still can't find a better data deal than I have now with Verizon $50/month for 5 gigs and $80/month for 10 gigs of unthrottled 4gLTE that works in areas were others fear to tread.

LooRead, who is your service provider? Verizon or some other company? Millenicom? Selectel?

RVTravel said:
LooRead, who is your service provider? Verizon or some other company? Millenicom? Selectel?

It's verizon directly on a two year contract with hotspot included for free.

Voip phone service uses about 1 meg per minute.

OK, I'm kinda/sorta computer literate....I can turn it on and send/receive email but I have no idea as to how many gigs I use. Any idea what a 15 min. YouTube video or a 2hr. Netflix movie would use ?
Thanks
KinA

I too am on Verizon, the best no matter where I go. Phone and Jetpack (for my laptop and tablet) 8 gigs data, unlimited talk and text. Prefer quality over quantity all for about 160 dollars a month.

Mrlooread - how to you get verizon so cheap at $50 for 5g on the 3glte speeds? All there plans show it will cost you $60 to do that.

I just signed up for Cricket Wireless 50 'smart' plan. It's unlimited talk, text, and 3GB of 4G data on the ATT network. After you exceed the cap, it goes does to 128Kbps. Most prepaid carriers are not upfront about their data policies. Cricket has a policy I can live with - even if I exceed the limit, I can still browse the web and reach the outside world. Other prepaid providers will just cut you off from data completely until the next billing cycle.

Is it possible to do dial up internet on an unlimited talk plan? Not sure if practical but curious

Sephiro - what of STRAIGHT TALK and using an AT&T SIM card to have AT&T cell towers? They are $45 a month but with taxes and fees about the same price as cricket. It's 3G speed for the first 3gigs. Then 2g speeds after that. I see that cricket gives you faster speeds for $5 more per month. If your device can handle 4g that is.

offroad said:
Is it possible to do dial up internet on an unlimited talk plan? Not sure if practical but curious

Sephiro - what of STRAIGHT TALK and using an AT&T SIM card to have AT&T cell towers? They are $45 a month but with taxes and fees about the same price as cricket. It's 3G speed for the first 3gigs. Then 2g speeds after that. I see that cricket gives you faster speeds for $5 more per month. If your device can handle 4g that is.

The problem with Straight Talk is they are not upfront about their data usage policies. Different markets seem to have different rules that Straight Talk will not explain. In some markets Straight Talk will just cut you off after your data allotment. You can read the stories online.

You can't do dial up internet with a modem on a cell phone because the transfer medium is different, but with modern cell phones and usb tethering I'm not sure why you would want to anyway.

Sephiro. - unlimited voice plans !! That's why I would investigate dial up. But it's likely not worth the effort.

offroad said:
Sephiro. - unlimited voice plans !! That's why I would investigate dial up. But it's likely not worth the effort.

I got what you are saying it's a good idea in theory but it's technically impossible. The cell phone voice provider digitizes and compresses your voice and sends it over their network. You don't get a dedicated circuit switched communication channel like you do with POTS (plain old telephone service). POTS meaning copper wires running from a pole into your home.

Am familiar with POTS. Guess my data choice is best with whatever company I use for cell. Right now using $30 per month tmobile. It's okay because I live in a small city. But would switch in a heartbeat to some MVNO for AT&T or Verizon if I was doing more traveling. Likely will end up on cricket like you are.

PastTense said:
The Best U.S. Prepaid Talk and Text Only Deals
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/02/best-prepaid-voice-plans.html
The Best US Prepaid Phone Plans For Data Users
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/02/best-prepaid-data-carriers-and-plans.html

PS. Pageplus Cellular (which sells Verizon service) will offer 4G sometime in October (unfortunately this is only for the $29.95/month or greater monthly plans--not the cheap pay-as-you go plans). I expect the other Verizon MVNOs will also--but no one is giving details yet.

For those that want to know

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-i...ney-on-your-cellular-bill-makeuseof-explains/

Vonbrown said:
I too am on Verizon, the best no matter where I go. Phone and Jetpack (for my laptop and tablet) 8 gigs data, unlimited talk and text. Prefer quality over quantity all for about 160 dollars a month.

I find Verizon pricing to be like buying a ticket on an airplane. No two people have paid the same price for a similar seat on the same flight.

I have an iPhone on Verizon post paid plan, unlimited talk, text, and a hotspot w/10 gigs of data for $139.00.

The only reason I went post paid on the phone is the availability of more towers while roaming. Verizon prepaid coverage outside of major cities is not nearly as good as post paid coverage.

If your phone won't work, how good a deal can it be.

If you're a boondocker, and you are not Verizon, half the time (or more!) your phone won't work.

That makes Verizon a bargain at any price! :)
Bob

Latest posts