Super Bloom in Anza Borrego

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanch

Reaction score
Is anyone else is heading over to see the super bloom? I am camped for free for 14 days in Blair Valley. It is a higher elevation here so it is cooler than in Borrego Springs. The bloom is amazing. DSC_7834_Localtone.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• DSC_7834_Localtone.jpg
    DSC_7834_Localtone.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
We were there yesterday and Wednesday. The bloom is really amazing! Anyone who is at all close should think about going to the park. Skip this weekend because it will be crazy busy and very hot.  We got there about 3:30 on Wednesday - kind of busy and 95 degrees. Thursday we went about 8:30 - fewer people and only 75 degrees. The heat wave is supposed to break next Tuesday.

One of the best places to see masses of blooms is at the Anza-Borrego visitor center - no fee to park. 33.257929, -116.406542  We boondocked a bit east of town - no shade but a nice breeze. https://freecampsites.net/#!9972&query=sitedetails

024a.jpg

108a.jpg

119a.jpg

144a.jpg

094a.jpg

DSC_7773_Localtone.jpg
It is hot here, but I am very glad I am spending some time seeing the bloom. I have never seen anything like this before in the desert, I missed the super bloom in Death Valley. It is nice to be living a full time nomad life so I am able to just show up for this and spend some time. Life is good!

Attachments

• DSC_7773_Localtone.jpg
    DSC_7773_Localtone.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
I just arrived from the coast about an hour ago. I'm boondocked near the park office at Yaqui Well Rd. I'll get updated about what's blooming where then head out in the morning when it's cooler and the light quality is more interesting.

MrNoodly said:
I just arrived from the coast about an hour ago. I'm boondocked near the park office at Yaqui Well Rd. I'll get updated about what's blooming where then head out in the morning when it's cooler and the light quality is more interesting.

Much of the bloom is in the area of the visitor center. The library in town has free wifi that works outside and there is an overpriced grocery store in town if you need supplies. Have fun!

@picpeeps Thnx for the pics! They all look great!

Almost There said:
Anyone know how long the superbloom is expected to last?

Another month or more I was told.

the blooms move up in elevation and north in latitude as the season progresses. in any one location they usually last 2-4 weeks. highdesertranger

Thanks - that means that I can add Anza Borrego to my list on my way to LA to start Route 66 eastbound.... :D :D

Looks stunning, I was there 5 years ago and thought the bloom was impressive but this must be a whole other world. I'm going to miss Carrizo Plain this year too, it will be carpets of wildflowers as far as you can see.

Be careful here! I felt safe and left my generator out overnight. Someone stole it while I was in my trailer. Fucking thieves. I spoke to the local law enforcement and they said the thieves know they are very busy with the crowds and crime is happening in the area. I need my generator to run my nebulizer, so I am heading home as I can't survive too long without a breathing treatment. I felt safe in Quartzsite and Ehrenberg so I thought I was safe here.

highdesertranger said:
that sucks Blanch. where exactly did this happen? highdesertranger

It was in Anza Borrego at the dispersed camping in Blair Valley.

Blanch said:
It was in Anza Borrego at the dispersed camping in Blair Valley.

Sorry that happened to you, Blanch. I detest thieves! :mad:

Thanks for sharing where it happened, though. I hope you get another generator soon.

VanGrrl57 :(

VanGrrl57 said:
Sorry that happened to you, Blanch. I detest thieves! :mad:

Thanks for sharing where it happened, though. I hope you get another generator soon.

VanGrrl57 :(

Thanks. The generator wouldn't be such a big deal but I need it to run my nebulizer. Thieves stole from a disabled woman traveling alone who needs the generator to run necessary medical equipment. I hope karma pays them back!