Stranded in Flagstaff...Can someone help me?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van on 66

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Tribe members!

So, here is the story.  I came to Flagstaff to house & pet sit for part of this summer.  The family I contracted with went on an extended road trip at the end of May and then were going to be home for a couple weeks in mid-July, and then were taking off again for 2-3 weeks.  Well, everything went well and they got back from their first trip and then my van broke down right at the edge of the driveway on my way out.

Those of you who were around this forum last summer might remember the issue with my PCM that stranded me in central New Mexico in late July resulting in a quite elaborate and expensive repair.   Well, believe it or not, the rebuilt PCM from last summer failed me.  Thankfully, it came with a warranty, but I have had to ship the PCM to Texas to get rebuilt while me van sits locked up at a local shop leaving me without transportation for at least a week or two.

The upside is that the couple I am house sitting for graciously extended me the offer to crash where I am at their house, but as you can imagine, it is a bit awkward.  And the biggest issue is that I am several miles outside of Flagstaff on U.S. 89 so getting groceries, etc. is a major issue.

I feel bad enough as it is with crashing where I am so I don't want to further infringe on them to get groceries for me and I was hoping that if someone was hanging out in the area, that they might be able to shuttle me to town so I could stock up on food.  Being disabled now and on Social Security makes it difficult to pay forl taxis, etc.  

So, if someone is in the area and wouldn't mind helping out a fellow van dweller let me know.

Sorry you are having van problems, but if your pcm tends to go out you can pick up a good used one on eBay for $89 with free shipping. I'd keep a spare.

Thanks for the concern Riverman.  After having this one go out, I actually already decided that I should keep a spare pcm so thanks for confirming that this is what I need to do.  I will check on ebay, but I haven't had much luck coming across another pcm on the net for less than $500-600.00.  If you come across a link for one for mine let me know.

Plenty of used one's on ebay, new would cost way more.

Having been through this nearly a year ago, I discovered that Chrysler no longer makes a lot of new parts for this van and year including the pcm.  You have to buy refurb/reman units now.  And, unfortunately, PCMs vary in price considerably dependent on the vehicle and the one for mine runs in the higher price bracket.  Still, even that can be cheaper than being stranded somewhere for a week or two and paying a motel/hotel bill.  I am doing my shopping as I have learned my lesson that I need to have a spare with me.

Latest posts