Storaging rig for motorcycle trips.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ride4321

Reaction score
I'm a few years away from full time travel but I'm pretty sure I'll be going this route. I'll have some kind of tow vehicle and most likely a converted cargo trailer so I can haul a motorcycle.

My question is what would I do with my vehicle and trailer when I want to take off on the bike for awhile? I can see myself wanting to head from the SW to Florida periodically to visit my kids in the winter. I also like heading off for extended trips on the bike so this could happen quite a bit. I could see being away from the rig for a few weeks at a time.

Anyone else do this?

Most National Parks allow 14 day parking at boat ramps and almost any area with boats has reasonable storage. Some Escapees Parks also have storage as well I believe. I have found some private storage places for $1 to $2 per foot of length per month.

I'm in a similar set up. Already have my cargo trailer though. I was going to do exactly what you are talking about this winter, but plans had to change. I was planning on driving from Colorado to RTR with the bike in the trailer, then on to California to visit family. Riding a bike out of Colorado in the winter is iffy at best due to snow and ice. Then I was going to leave my truck and trailer at my sister's in California and ride my bike down Baja. Maybe next winter. A family or friend's property is always the best bet, as it's usually safer.

Besides that, there are places where storage is much cheaper than others, so you can plan your travels around those places. I know a storage garage in Erenburg is cheap - not sure if they have outside storage or not.

The third option, is find a cheap piece of land someplace that is central to your travels. I met a guy at last years RTR that had a plot in AZ someplace with a sea container on it for secure storage. There are taller sea containers that a truck and cargo trailer can fit in depending upon size. You could have something like this for a total investment of $7000 - $12000 depending upon lot price. And then you always have a place to go back to. Just be very careful if you do buy as many counties now have laws against camping on your own land.

Define your priorities!

Do you NEED it or not?
If the answer is yes, bring it everywhere you go.

Dave

A storage place would work fine. There would be times I'd want to take off on the bike for a few days and then I might not even worry about leaving my vehicle on BLM land I suppose. I suppose it might be better to pay for a camping area and park there if I'm only gone for a few days. If I was going for a week or two I'd want it secured somewhere I think.
I'll be looking for a place to buy a small piece of property while I'm living on the road but I intend to take my time and find an area I really like but I do like the idea of putting a storage container on a plot at some point.

A storage place would work fine. There would be times I'd want to take off on the bike for a few days and then I might not even worry about leaving my vehicle on BLM land I suppose. I suppose it might be better to pay for a camping area and park there if I'm only gone for a few days. If I was going for a week or two I'd want it secured somewhere I think.
I'll be looking for a place to buy a small piece of property while I'm living on the road but I intend to take my time and find an area I really like but I do like the idea of putting a storage container on a plot at some point.

I have a 6x12 cargo trailer with a pull down door/ramp that lets me ride my V Star 650 into the trailer, as well as carry lots of extra food/equipment to avoid cluttering the van.

Rent an outdoor space for the rig/trailer at a fenced in storage lot (cheap) for the time you need and take off on the bike. With that space you can leave the trailer/bike there and take off in the van also.

Lots of options here.

I am building my van to drag my bike around because during my 3500 mile ride last Sept, motel rooms were to expensive. So I hope this Spring, I can drive somewhere and leave the van while I ride around the area. But my plan is to be only away from home base for the day, maybe two. I understand leaving your rig alone for a couple days is risky, but I wonder if a parking lot like Wally World would be good.

ride4321 said:

If several people wanted to buy a small place and form a commune of types, that could work.

exnavyabfc said:
I am building my van to drag my bike around because during my 3500 mile ride last Sept, motel rooms were to expensive. So I hope this Spring, I can drive somewhere and leave the van while I ride around the area. But my plan is to be only away from home base for the day, maybe two. I understand leaving your rig alone for a couple days is risky, but I wonder if a parking lot like Wally World would be good.

I think I'd be more comfortable leaving it in a campground or storage facility. I do have a friend in Vegas so maybe I can park there when I'm taking off on the bike. I was just curious how others handle this situation. I'd imagine it happens quite a bit like flying home for emergencies, etc.

exnavyabfc said:
If several people wanted to buy a small place and form a commune of types, that could work.

That's discussed here in another thread I think. Overall consensus was that it'd be a pain and probably not worth it. I could see doing that with a few friends though.