still need more solar help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deb1996

Reaction score
I have (2) 100 Watt solar panels, will (2) twelve volts work for that or should I get the (2) 6 watts, not sure what to do, I thought if i had (2) 12 volt batteries i might get more power.....thoughts?

6 volt golf cart batteries are true deep cycle batteries and can handle many more cycles and improper/ incomplete rechargine Much much beter than 12v.
12 volt flooded marine batteries are NOT true deep cycle, no matter how proudly and boldly they proclaim so on the sticker.

12volt batteries will retain higher voltages under higher loads than an equal capacity of 6v batteries, but this is only a factor when one is actually drawing 100+ amps via in inverter.

AGM batteries blur the line between 6v and 12v.

230 AH of 6v batteries will cost less and last twice as long in deep cycle duty as 230Ah of flooded/wet 12v batteries.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/deep_cycle_battery

2 - 220 amp hour 6 volt golf cart batteries (GC-2) wired in series will give you the same capacity as 2 - 110 amp hour 12v batteries wired in parallel. The difference is the 6 volt batteries will have thicker plates so will typically last longer and will be more vibration resistant in mobile use. They are usually cheaper too, for an equivalent type and quality 12v battery. A good rule of thumb is 1.5-2 times the watts of solar per 12v amp hour of battery. So if you are going to have a 200 amp/hr 12v battery (or 2 - GC-2s wired in series for 12v) it is recommended that you have 300-400 watts of solar. Less and you may not get them to full charge depending on how much you draw them down each day.

Chip