stelth camping with a dog

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halecatmarty

Reaction score
Is this possible? I have a pug that barks when anyone knocks on the door. I just wonder if anyone has a trick to keep him quiet.

My dog only barks once or twice a week. But I got her when she was only 2 months old and I knew that I would be taking her stealth camping. All she needs is for me to make a quiet verbal click and tiny hiss and she doesn't move or make a peep. I'm not quite sure how she learned that, but as the mother of four sons, training a dog was a piece of cake.

The negative is that she doesn't bark in warning for anything. Only when we rough house.
Ted

Idk I just park where its legal so barking is only an asset.

There are lots of youtube videos on dog behavior modification techniques including getting them to stop barking when someone comes to the door.

just knocks on the door of your vehicle?

eh, that ain't bad

if the thing is barking all the time with people just around outside then ya got troubles. you know, the non stop barker but if it is only knocking, who is really gonna come knocking most of the time on your van and if they do, a bark is kinda good then

am I missing something :0

but yea there is training so fast google of door knocking and barking corrections are out there for ya

the dog is just doing their job. why do you want him/her to stop? highdesertranger

OMG.. HDR.. You're so funny... the bluntness... gets me every time!

OKAY... AFTER I picked myself up off the floor from laughing at your post, I think it's prudent to say you've never been aggravated by a non stop incessantly barking dog?

I'm just glad to see a responsible dog owner who gives a darn. :)

To Poster: Get a janitorial spray bottle (with adjustable spray), fill with water, set to long stream, and wait for the bark. One shot right between the eyes usually does the trick. (sometimes Labs, Goldens and water loving dogs.. not as much.. lol)

You don't have to SAY anything.. or even let them see you. It's just a long distance way of breaking their train of thought. Think 'Two Year Old'! :)

EDIT: Wait. On the two year old thing: It's about REDIRECTION. Do NOT squirt your two year olds ppl. (And if you DO, don't say I told you to!)

I don't think it is possible to truly stealth camp with a dog. I tried it when I had my German Shepherd, and we were never stealthy. He guarded the rig constantly, not a bad thing but noisy. Then he would have to jump out for a potty break, with me in tow. Not very stealthy. And we always had to have the windows down or he would overheat. And people would always notice him and come over there - end of privacy. One time I tried to catch some ZZZ's at a Park and Ride. He barked at every car that drove in there. Not stealth parking. Try boondocking in the forest instead. Much nicer for both man and beast.    ~crofter

Whats the advantage of being stealth again? I've been doing this since 2013 and still have not figured that one out. As far as I can tell disguising yourself as a work van is just asking to get your windows smashed and have your stuff stolen. Then again I don't do the east coast, and I understand things are a bit different over there. If cops are really such a threat that you would be willing to make yourself a target for petty thieves just to avoid them, you might want to consider relocating somewhere else.

Can you teach him to sound like a car alarm? Everyone ignores that sound.