Stealth The Contractor Way

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Ive done is purchase different magnetic signs on my truck for the stealth / contractor look. Ive gottem for maintenance, cable tv, landscaping, paper delivery, 1800LAUNDRY for hospital parking etc.. Ive also got new 4 ft step ladders zip screwed to each side of my camper shell & have never used them. Its all a prop, nothing more. It works for me. Am I a contractor? No. This look works very well in hotel / motel parking lots. PS, dont forget about keeping dash clear with the exception of a bible & clip board & purchase a orange safety vest to put on passenger seat for looks. Ive even got a hard hat laying on the passenger seat for looks. Since I have out of state plates from Indiana I bought a Florida tourist display plate for the front of the vehicle for looks so that if Im backed in people just assume that from there. Another thought is that I also have other front display plates that say VFW, AMERICAN LEGION, MOOSE etc.. The concept is that they will think Im inside drinking or simply had too much to drink & got a ride etc... Its all about looks and fitting in. I really do belong to those places too. Always buy the tourist bumper sticker for the area your in & put on your back window. When you move on to a different state, remove the old with a razor and install the new tourist sticker for that area & dont forget to buy the front plate for that state. I hate stickers of any kind but this is the exception to the rule.

Follow my posts for today on other tips.

You are on the right track for stealth! I'd stay away from a business that would make an addict think there were valuables inside. Cable TV means copper wire and there is nothing more attractive to a heroin user than copper wire. We call it junkie catnip.

I will use a few small black fleet numbers on my van with no business signs; same idea, less clutter. You are right when saying the cab area needs to be tidy. One of those traffic cone racks on the nose would really be nice:

CH-22-new.jpg

Patrick

Welcome to the forum.

How long have you been using these particular stealth tricks?

I ask because there is a theory that a van that:

a: Appears to be unoccupied.

And

b: Appears to be full of contractors tools and equipment . . .

Is far more likely to be broken into by thieves than a plain, unmarked van is.

Regards
John

What areas do you stay in and how do you heat and keep cool? No, I dont want to know exactly where you are. Its just that staying cool is a big issue if a person cant move with the seasons. Heat is obviously easier to do.

spd2918 said:
You are on the right track for stealth! I'd stay away from a business that would make an addict think there were valuables inside. Cable TV means copper wire and there is nothing more attractive to a heroin user than copper wire. We call it junkie catnip.

I will use a few small black fleet numbers on my van with no business signs; same idea, less clutter. You are right when saying the cab area needs to be tidy. One of those traffic cone racks on the nose would really be nice:

CH-22-new.jpg

Im already ahead of you hence Ive got a cone mounted in front & back on the bumpers also I posted today about "Security". The only time I take off the signs are when Im at a Walmart over night otherwise Im at the hotel / motel parking lot.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Patrick

Welcome to the forum.

How long have you been using these particular stealth tricks?

I ask because there is a theory that a van that:

a: Appears to be unoccupied.

And

b: Appears to be full of contractors tools and equipment . . .

Is far more likely to be broken into by thieves than a plain, unmarked van is.

Regards
John

Im not concerned with theft if Im in it especial when theres an alarm switch by my bed. I posted this today also under "Security".

I dont have any tools in it, just a bed etc... if they did break in their mouth would drop in awe whe they see the bed & upholstered side walss & ceiling. Im not one of those "What if kinda guys". The same could be said about any vehicle or even a house or unattended bicycle.

All that is great until a LEO aproaches for what ever reason.....now you either tell him the truth and he has reason to discredit you , or you lie to him and he really Drills you a new A$$....

its easier to keep a vehicle clean and non-conspicuous..and not draw attention to yourself. not to mention cheaper

Lucky mike said:
All that is great until a LEO aproaches for what ever reason.....now you either tell him the truth and he has reason to discredit you , or you lie to him and he really Drills you a new A$$....

its easier to keep a vehicle clean and non-conspicuous..and not draw attention to yourself. not to mention cheaper

Lucky Mike, I agree! If you lie to a LOE, you can get in trouble! Better to not answer questions rather than tell a lie! And of course honesty is usually the best policy will all people unless it's telling your girlfriend the truth about her new haircut that you do not like…. in that case lie!
-AK

Lucky mike said:

Another "Ney Sayer". Ive never been approached, stopped or bothered and if I were Id just say Im a tourist passing through & will be gone the next day. Hence my out of state plates & nice vehicle, that simple. I would then move on to the next town or go to the opposite side of town where that officer doesnt patrol. The rules for you are not the same for me. Your a negative person.
Me? Clean-cut guy, no record, degree, ex reserve police officer & 20 yr Army vet.

Folks, have you ever notice how the Rvers put us car / van dwellers down?
We post to share life experiences & tricks of the trade where as rvers post just for something to do so they hang around on our part of the forum because theres no action on theres. I dont go to the "RV Section" here to comment or read because it has nothing to do with van dwelling what so ever. Its two very different lifestyles all together. We can do anything they can but they cant do what we do, due to their size. If I wanted to waste my money on an rv I wouldve bought one out of my 401K. RV= Money Pit.

absolutely pat......judging from your posts today you are the one with an issue with those that drive RV's......not to mention your putting them into a class....I'll Try to remember that next time

But if thats the way you feel please notice the name of the website your on is CheapRVliving .com......

I thought this was a forum that wasnt so snobbish as to classify people but I guess I was wrong....at least wrong about you . your right your just judgemental and wish for someone to put you in a class!

thanks for the welcome into the forum , nice play on words from you....but please dont raise yourself to be called a Vandweller.....your in the back of a pickup ...most of the vandwellers I have met Seemed to have a little class

patrickp8616.
This must be a new record, 3 posts in one day where you attack RVers as a group of people. Amazing! So, if you hate half the people on the forum, why are you here? Doesn't that seem illogical to you? :(

Here are the rules of the forum, you need to go read them.
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-The-Rules-of-the-Forum-February-2014

You consistently break these rules:

2) Don’t ever attack, belittle or denigrate anyone. If you have something bad to say about someone, keep it to yourself. This includes politicians, police officers and the homeless. You can hate them if you want, but you don’t get to spread your hate here.

3) Don’t judge other member’s posts or opinions. It’s perfectly fine to disagree or offer a counter point of view, but never in a negative way. An attitude of “I’m right and know more than you!” creates an unacceptable negative atmosphere. I’ve had people tell me they were afraid to post here because they were afraid someone would mock or belittle them. Any posts like that will be deleted.

4) Don’t be a know-it-all or dismissive of others. We’re family and we’re here to help and support each other. So before you hit the “Send” button, ask yourself if what you are writing is helpful and supportive or is it to make you feel better about yourself. Are you just trying to prove you’re smarter than everyone else and you’re right and their wrong? That turns into fighting and bickering over nothing and that makes this an unpleasant place for people who come here in need.

At this point we are not a good fit, if you can't follow the rules you may need to go somewhere else.
Bob

Optimistic- LOVE IT, had a friend who was a hacker who used to break into phone companies so he could steal manuals never released to the public on programing switches (this is 20 years ago so the statute is up) he kept a closet full of work clothes, dominos pizza, UPS, office cleaning company, Legal document service, speedy delivery, you name it. He could get into anywhere and never got questioned (the dominos was the one that really opened doors) this reminds me of that. GOOD JOB.

only areas I'd still watch out for is the venting and condensation. Condensation on windows and your cover is blown, otherwise again... awesome job.

BTW totally agree with hotel parking, you got security, you got free wi-fi (if you know how to ask for user names and passwords without calling from the room) and if your a (ahem) little more devious a whole lot more (not gonna talk about it and do that thread again)

very wise.

Latest posts