Stealth camping in Lake Havasu City?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JennyJ

Reaction score
I'm in Lake Havasu, and wonder if there are any places I stealth park overnight in town... Walmart or Home Depot?

Being nearly 70, I've realized I just don't enjoy dispersed camping, preferring affordable (under $10/night) campgrounds with basic amenities (water, nearby toilets, picnic tables, trash).  But campgrounds are expensive here, and I just bought a set of brand new tires....

Any suggestions??

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Lowes[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]4000 Highway 95n[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Lake Havasu City, AZ 86404[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]GPS: 34.545477,-114.353229[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]928-764-2120[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Home Depot[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]100 Center Blvd[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Lake Havasu City, AZ 86404[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]GPS: 34.5736,-114.3919[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]928-764-5111[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I hope this helps!!!![/font]

One option is the nearby Long Term Visitors Areas (LTVAs.) The nearest ones to you are in Quartzsite. They have all the amenities you're are seeking, at the bargain rate of about $180 for a 6-7 month stay. Even better, paying the 6-7 month fee gives members the right to stay in all of the LTVAs in AZ & CA.

I might try Lowes. I just need one or two more days here until Kingman warms up so I can pick up mail there next week. Nights have been pretty cold up there... 30 degrees. LHC has been around 45.

I'm traveling in my RAV4 and while it's 10-12 degrees warmer inside than out, even 40 degrees inside is pretty chilly when winter sun comes up later. :)

After I get mail, I'm heading south and might try the LTVAs. Are they comfy enough for SUV campers vs RVs? I prefer real camping to stealth camping, heh.

CRAGGY WASH.............just North of the airport.........14-day BLM land

We're here right now.....Lots-O-Room.........

^^^^^The Walmart Super Center is located in a Mall....

Just like everywhere across the country...IF it's a shared mall parking lot: NO Overnite Parking

LHC has some restrictive rules also.......TICKET if caught "Sleeping or Napping" in your car parked on city streets

I stayed at the LOWES overnite once while helping with another Nomad breakdown.........Management agreed to a single nite

Oh well, I had a feeling this town was restrictive... too pretty and touristy and expensive-looking. :D

I'll check out Craggy Wash, thanks for the referral, Abnorm.

Does anyone here use the state land camping permit? I bought one this year for $15 and have not used it yet, still looking for the state land. I can find it on the map just not when I am out looking to camp.  -crofter

Both Craggy Wash and the state lands camping in Havasu are "boondocking". There are also other boondocking places, just off the highway, both north of Craggy Wash and south of LHC about 3 miles.

In the LTVAs in Quartzsite, you'll find many tent campers. Also, where I camped last winter there, there was a guy living long-term in his station wagon. Bizarre guy, as he would only ever come out after dark, and didn't even have a chair outside. Don't know what he ate, maybe pretzels and candy bars.

The only real issue in the LTVAs is that, when you're not self-contained you must park within 500' of a toilet. No big deal. But $40 for 2-weeks (assuming it's not changed), or $180 for the season, is a great deal.

There is quite a bit of Arizona State Land down Hwy 286 towards Caballo Loco RV Park along the dirt road leading in. There is also a large plot East of Green Valley on the road that goes East towards Sabino Canyon. It is sometimes fenced with a small white background black and red lettered sign attached ever so often with gates or openings in the fence few and far between. A state wildlife officer should be able to direct you as a lot of hunting is done in season on those lands.

The trouble for us with the $15 Arizona State Trust Permit is it's only good for 14 days per year.....we don't bother

As to someone only coming out after dark. There is a medical condition where some people cannot be in the sun. I used to have a neighbor with that, he was not at all a bizarre person he just had a severe (but rare) skin condition. Possible that your only comes out after dark person had it too.
Xeroderma pigmentosum

Probably not the case. The guy living in a tent 150' away for the previous 3 months said station wagon man was just weird, wouldn't even say hello, even though he had a tongue.

My son and I were there a few months ago and the Walmart isn't open 24 hrs. We ended up staying at the truck stop outside of town (North).

I stayed at Craggy Wash for six nights... loved it, so ruggedly beautiful, and Walmart only 1.5 miles away. Left today for Kingman, where I picked up mail, but will head back to CW for another week, then on to Quartzsite and La Posa LTVA to see what it's like.

Probably not much to see in Quartzsite until January, right?