staying healthy on the road this winter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maki2 said:
 Onions, green peppers and green beans are all foods that give me lots of intestinal gas issues. 
If you are having dietary problems then you should seek medical advice from a well qualified nutritionist who will help you sort out a diet that is tailored to your specific needs.
Two things: first for my part, I can eat those things if they are well cooked. Especially onions, else I'd have heartburn for 2 days. So the standard meal is toss it all in a fry pan with olive oil and cook the hell out of it. Of course, cooking may destroy some nutritional value, but you're still probably ahead. Also a link mentioned previously says cooking destroys most "lectins" (whatever the heck they really are), and greatly reduces leaky gut ala inflammation problems. FWIW, I have a lot of trouble with raw veggies, but not so much with cooked.

In regards finding a nutritionist, the other way to go is try things out, which some of us have been doing for decades, and see what works ok and what doesn't. I would also suspect that's the path a nutritionist would follow too. Ask you a bunch of questions about would bothers yer gut, and suggest other things. But then it's still an experiment.

badmotorscooter said:
Could it possibly be SIBO (small intestinal bowel overgrowth)?  Symptoms can be very similar, and SIBO can often cause IBS...
That's a good question, and since I've never had a full workup, I'm sure that would be one of the things considered,

But since a low FODMAP diet works so well for me, and since I otherwise generally feel great, I haven't pursued it any further.

I gave a link to FODMAP back in post #38. It's not an easy tell.

abnorm said:
Ditz......I'll try coughing more in your direction if that would help ?

You know Georgie would jump between us and save me... Me :p

Still trying to sort this stuff out, a lot of it goes around in circles, one guy says good, the next guy says bad. So everything in moderation seems to be the best course. One possible summary ....

Seems to be bad:
- basic starches: most grains, pasta.
- lectin containing foods (however, most lectins destroyed during cooking, meaning raw is relatively worse).
- fatty meats.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/...ary-lectins-and-should-you-avoid-eating-them/[/font]

Seems to be good:
- "resistance" starches: yams, oats, brown rice, legumes (beans, lentils, peas, peanuts).
- polyphenol containing foods: berries, nuts, coffee, tea, dark chocolate, olive oil.
- lean meats in moderation.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/9-foods-high-in-resistant-starch

Tomorrow I'll go to Winco and buy some, and learn the name. Maybe try something new, the recipe you mentioned, lol.

Personally, I'd probably make that stuffed poblano recipe with black beans (and maybe leave out the jalapenos), but who knows--baked beans could be good too.

So all in all, I think the best way to stay healthy this winter is to be healthy in general. Have a good well-balanced diet, lose some weight, get some exercise, maybe get a flu shot (still undecided), get some vitamin C, and not get overly-chummy with everyone else when the sick time comes.

There was something interesting on NPR this morning about fasting. Rather than having a fast day every few days, etc, they tried an experiment of confining eating to a period of 10 hours per day. So in effect it was a pseudo-fast of 14 hours every day, at the end of which time, your body is starting to use more fat for energy. The people ate their regular diets, but just ate nothing out of the 10-hour time period. No snacks in the evening, etc. 

The results were moderate, not overly exciting, but the concept is interesting. Maybe try confining eating to just 8 hours a day, and see what happens. That shouldn't be too difficult. In my case, I've already stopped buying snacks and desserts in general, and my weight is fairly constant although I could do to lose some too.

Getting your body to burn more fat for energy is obviously the rationale behind the **** diet, and it may be good for quick short-term weight loss, but I'm 100% convinced it's not good for the long term. However, the bit just described may have a similar effect over the long term, and it would still be healthy. Just a thought.

You're right on target with that philosophy Qxxx. I have been practicing intermittent fasting for a few years now. I enter Ketogenesis once a day, sometimes twice. I believe your body should be able to produce energy from both glycogen and fat.

You can train your body to become more efficient at "switching" back and forth. I have tons of energy and stay very lean
Of course that's in conjunction with plenty of excersise...

Yeah BMS, we know about your exercise regimen from crofter's thread. No country for old men. You likely do need some glycogen to maintain it, :).

VanFan said:
Poblanos, maybe?  Love 'em.
Went to Winco, the peppers are actually called "Pasilla", but they look just like the ones in the link I posted, except some of them have a very convoluted concave shape.

BMS, why exactly is your body going into ketosis at all? Interesting. Is that normal for someone with the workout regimen you describe on crofter's thread? You're just working out so hard, you deplete your glycogen stores?

Yes. With a powerful metabolism and lots of physical activity you deplete your glycogen stores from your liver, bloodstream, muscles ect., forcing your body to burn fat.

Completely natural process, hunter gatherers lived like this for hundreds of thousands of years. It wasn't until more modern times we started eating three squares a day and snacked whenever we felt hungry and drank sugary drinks.
Basically retraining our bodies to run almost exclusively off glycogen.

Don't want to start a hot debate, but running off fat burning only isn't natural either.

badmotorscooter said:
Don't want to start a hot debate, but running off fat burning only isn't natural either.
Thanks for the rundown. That latter is best debated, if at all, on the **** thread.

OTOH, for us more regular people (meaning not doing such hardcore workouts), I am quite interested in the business about confining the timeframe over which one eats, with the result that more fat will be burned in the other hours of the day. So, indirect-fasting. Eg, hold off on breakfast a bit, and eat an early dinner - BF at 8AM, lunch as usual, dinner at 5PM, would confine eating to 9 hours and be fasting for 15 hours. Easy peasy. No snacking outside of the window. 

Of course, this goes against the 'other' diet idea of eating 5 small meals, spread over the course of the day.

EDIT: hmm, it occurred to me they always make you fast for at least 12 hours before getting a blood test for glucose levels. I guess that gives your insulin system a chance to work on glucose, and then normalize. I'll have to look at how this might relate to the business described above.

You can look up intermittent fasting. The idea is to consume needed calories in a certain time span during a 24 hour period, and then go at least 12 hours without eating. 16 hours would be better, but since I am still working, about 13 hours of fasting is what I can do.

There have been studies showing people with a strong metabolism can actually reach ketosis in 8 hours or less.