Stay a While LPG Kit

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcal

Reaction score
Stuck here for the winter as we are, it would be a pain to have to disconnect and move the entire motorhome to get propane. Last winter, the gas company brought a truck thru the campground we were at, but not here.

We found a kit which included fittings and hoses that we could use to run the water heater (we are using electric heaters) off the 10# tank we use for the firepot. Then, we borrowed Son's 20# BBQ tank. We are set. The kit was $100 bucks, but we will use it for years and will not have to pay the delivery fees in the winters. It will pay for itself.

I don't know what kind of temperatures you are looking at, but I understand that BIG propane tanks work better than small propane tanks when it gets really cold.  Something about the number of square inches of liquid surface exposed to the vapor space or something like that.  Small tanks don't have enough square inches to keep up with the gas demand when it gets cold.  Do a little research on this.

Regards
John

Optimistic Paranoid said:
I don't know what kind of temperatures you are looking at, but I understand that BIG propane tanks work better than small propane tanks when it gets really cold.  Something about the number of square inches of liquid surface exposed to the vapor space or something like that.  Small tanks don't have enough square inches to keep up with the gas demand when it gets cold.  Do a little research on this.

Regards
John

As a former propane dispenser in Vermont, I can say this is very true.

Optimistic Paranoid said:

Regards
John

You are probably right. I do not doubt it. But for now, we are going with what we have instead of buying a new larger tank. We had a few nights in the upper 30's, but several in the 40's. Next winter, we may consider renting a larger tank to go with the 80# tank that is built in.

gcal said:
Stuck here for the winter as we are, it would be a pain to have to disconnect and move the entire motorhome to get propane. Last winter, the gas company brought a truck thru the campground we were at, but not here.

We found a kit which included fittings and hoses that we could use to run the water heater (we are using electric heaters) off the 10# tank we use for the firepot. Then, we borrowed Son's 20# BBQ tank. We are set. The kit was $100 bucks, but we will use it for years and will not have to pay the delivery fees in the winters. It will pay for itself.

sounds like you've discovered the extend-a-stay kit. comes in mighty handy. I placed a pic for those not familiar with this setup. I use a spare #40 tank now, but, when I used the #20 I just wrapped an old blanket around it to prevent freezing. That and placed it out of the wind whenever possible.

Attachments

• extend a stay.jpg
    extend a stay.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 17
I had one of those extend-a-stay kits on my class A ,it was a great idea , loved it , used it all the time while not traveling every day.
On my class C , I made my own up with a $20 hose/regulator and attached it to the 3/8 flare fitting that used to go to the furnace that I chucked.