Starting small

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtGeezer

Reaction score
Hi all. I am about to embark on a life changing journey in a '96 Plymouth voyager. It will be a static journey for the most part. Too much house, not enough life. Housing is at 47% of net. Work is 90 miles away and starting to slow atm. From 60+ hrs per week to 40. Going to stay at work 4 nights a week. Boss is cool with that and has offered me shore power. Gym is 2 miles away. This slow down has my wife and I evaluating and reprioritizing the way we have been living. Our house is full of stuff we don't use, the kids are grown and gone, and we don't wan't to work into our 80's to keep a roof over our stuff. We have set a goal of being out of the house June '16. Going to TT it then if things go well. If not then we live small 'til I hit 62 and in the boondocks then.

I have removed the interior of the mini van, put a shore plug in and have modified a dryer vent for the roof. I will have the insulation done and hopefully the interior finished by Sunday evening.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, SgtGeezer! You and your wife have made a great decision. Enjoy!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome!  There is a wealth of information on this forum and very helpful people to share it.  Hoping everything goes well for you!

Welcome! I am new here as well. Doing research and slowly getting rid of stuff myself for a '16 departure from the norm as well. Good luck!

Welcome from NE Ohio (at least for now). I am pretty new myself but, I have already learned so much being here and everyone has been great at answering my questions.

I also have a mini van (2000 Plymouth Grand Voyager) - getting ready to start taking the interior apart next week - unless of course the rain keeps me at bay like this week.

I look forward to following your journey and seeing pictures as you progress.

Barbara

SgtGeezer said:
Hi all. I am about to embark on a life changing journey in a '96 Plymouth voyager. It will be a static journey for the most part. Too much house, not enough life. Housing is at 47% of net. Work is 90 miles away and starting to slow atm. From 60+ hrs per week to 40. Going to stay at work 4 nights a week. Boss is cool with that and has offered me shore power. Gym is 2 miles away. This slow down has my wife and I evaluating and reprioritizing the way we have been living. Our house is full of stuff we don't use, the kids are grown and gone, and we don't wan't to work into our 80's to keep a roof over our stuff. We have set a goal of being out of the house June '16. Going to TT it then if things go well. If not then we live small 'til I hit 62 and in the boondocks then.

I have removed the interior of the mini van, put a shore plug in and have modified a dryer vent for the roof. I will have the insulation done and hopefully the interior finished by Sunday evening.

Thanks for sharing your story. I also pay almost 50% of my income for housing, and the recession was tough (went bankrupt and almost foreclosed). I never want to go through that again and consider vandwelling a possible future solution. I look forward to hearing how it goes with you.

I'll be watching too. I'm new also, and hope I can make this work. I'd really like to get out and see the world.
Ella1

I used to work at a miserable job just to hang onto my stuff, always terrified of losing everything, never happy. Then that job laid me off, and I did lose everything, including my house. And then I lost a bunch more in the following year, so I've learned that being miserable to try desperately to hang onto stuff doesn't work, and I'm going to start living on my terms now. Welcome to the good life.