Starting Search for Class B

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suanne

Reaction score
Hubby John and I are looking for a Class B van.&nbsp;&nbsp;Here are the amenities we are looking for in case anyone has&nbsp;any great leads.&nbsp;&nbsp;We have $4300 to spend (from the sale of our teardrop trailer).&nbsp; Part of that&nbsp;money will go for pre-sale inspections (mechanical &amp; RV systems).&nbsp; We are in&nbsp;Washington State.&nbsp;<br><UL><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Mechanically and structurally sound</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Good tires</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">High top (for 5'8" person to stand up in) with at least one vent.</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Bed(s) for 2&nbsp;that is always down (vs. a table that needs to be converted every night)</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Bathroom or space for a port-a-potty</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Stove or&nbsp;counter space&nbsp;for a two-burner propane stove</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Storage (for cooking utincils, food, clothes, toiletries, tools, etc.)</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">12v system (house battery, generator)</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Fresh/Gray water system (tanks, sink, etc.) or shelf space for 5 gal water container.</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Freezer w/space for an ice chest; or a Refrigerator/Freezer (2-way or 3-way)</DIV></LI></UL>Other items that would be nice, but not&nbsp;necessary<br><UL><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">20+ MPG</DIV></LI><LI>110 system </LI><LI>solar panels</LI><LI>brown/beige and/or wood interior</LI><LI>not carpeted (walls or floors)</LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">vinyl or wood floors</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">smaller and few side windows</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">front seats that swivel to face backwards</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">hitch</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">tow package</DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px"><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">A/C</DIV></DIV></LI><LI><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px"><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Heater</DIV></DIV></LI></UL><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Any words of wisdom, caution, or encouragement are appreciated.</DIV><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</DIV><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">I'm excited at the prospect of doing some traveling with John, even if for a few weeks at a time.&nbsp; And I'll still be doing lots of solo travel in&nbsp;my Prius to boot!</DIV><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</DIV><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">Suanne ... who's been looking in Craigslist &amp; eBay in anticipation</DIV><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px"><A href="http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com" target=_blank>http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com</A></DIV><DIV style="MARGIN: 0px">&nbsp;</DIV><br>

Yay! Good for you two Suanne...that will be great to do some traveling with your spousal unit, as Mizkitty says....!<br>I am looking forward to meeting him at some point.... I am enjoying spending some time with my own spousal unit. <br>Good luck and I will keep an eye out....<br>Bri<br><br>

Hi Suanne, there's a '89ish ( not exactly sure) coachman class b on a dodge chassis about 10 minutes from me for sale for $3900. I have only given it a quick look over on the outside, as I have the bus, and I just can't justify the expense right now. It's been there about 8 months, so I do believe he will budge on price. It is at a tire/repair/ used car sales place. They also have a class c, and a "burro" ( 12' fiberglass trailer similar to a scamp). If you email or pm me, I'll get more info for you next time I go out that way ( Mabye this weekend?)
Les

<P>
bk2valve said:
Yay! Good for you two Suanne...I am looking forward to meeting him at some point.... I am enjoying spending some time with my own spousal unit. <BR>
</P><P>Maybe I'll be able to convince him to come with me to next year's RTR, at the very least!&nbsp; Is Kit's job relocation making it easier for you to spend time together?&nbsp; Have fun!&nbsp; Suanne</P>

<P>
Les H said:
Hi Suanne, there's a '89ish ( not exactly sure) coachman class b on a dodge chassis about 10 minutes from me for sale for $3900.Les
</P>Hi Les,<br><br>I so appreciate your offer to check out this van for us.&nbsp; It sounds like what we are looking for.<br><br>Is this in NY?&nbsp; If so, unless&nbsp;it was in&nbsp;excellent condition and they came way down on the price,&nbsp;it probably wouldn't work for us.&nbsp;We are in WA State.<br><br>If not in NY, let me know.<br><br>Suanne<br><br>&nbsp; <br>

Yep, I'm in the Catskill mountains of upstate Ny. Perhaps we could meet in the middle? I'll drive the "b " out to Chicago or Milwaukee for ya, if ya like.... Oh well, it's a thought.
Les

<P>The Class B is an outstanding unit - excellent for cozy living for two Lol. A couple of sources:<BR><BR><A href="http://www.rv.net" target=_blank target=_blank>www.rv.net</A><BR><A href="http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/index.php" target=_blank target=_blank>http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/index.php</A><BR><A href="http://www.rvtraderonline.com" target=_blank target=_blank>www.rvtraderonline.com</A><BR><BR>The first two are forums with excellent databases, classifieds and a lot of experienced people. The first has a Class B forum with a LOT of members. The second is a B only site, but most of the members are also members of the first, so you may just want to hang at rv.net as it is larger and has more resources.<BR><BR>The third link should help you in your search for Bs. They generally sell quickly so keep your eyes open.<BR><BR>Good luck with the search.</P><BR>Note: our B came originally from Washington state lol.<BR><BR><BR><BR>&nbsp;<BR>

Seraphim,&nbsp; <br><br>Thanks for the additional links.&nbsp; I'll check them out.&nbsp; I've since expanded my searche beyond WA to ID and OR, and also into the B+ RVs&nbsp;(something under 20').&nbsp; <br><br>Happy travels.<br><br>Suanne<br>

Just a quick update.&nbsp; <BR><BR>After checking out many vans, B's and some shorter C's ... we decided to get a lightweight self-contained trailer instead.&nbsp; It's a 13' 1974 ECO which is similar to a Boler (fiberglass egg-shaped trailer).&nbsp; It's self-contained, John can stand up in it, and we avoid having another engine to maintain ...&nbsp;insurance is much cheaper too.&nbsp; It's light enough to be towed by our Camry.<BR><BR>Currently it's in rough, but livable condition.&nbsp; So, we can hit the road as soon as we want to.&nbsp; <BR><BR>I'm looking forward to fixing up&nbsp;the inside and&nbsp;the 12v systems.&nbsp; If we are able to scrape up more funds, we'll paint the outside to match our '59 Chevy Apache Pickup.<BR><BR>We just got new tires and wheels for her, and will be towing her home today ... yeah!<BR><BR>Suanne ... enjoying some PNW sunshine today<BR><A href="http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com" target=_blank target=_blank>http://SuanneOnline.blogspot.com</A><BR>

<FONT size=3>Congratulations, Suanne!&nbsp; I've also begun looking at small trailers.&nbsp; I can't believe you found a 13 footer with bathroom facilities!&nbsp; I didn't know they made them.</FONT><br><FONT size=3></FONT>&nbsp;<br><FONT size=3>Although i am happy for you, I am insanely jealous!&nbsp; I can't wait to see it!</FONT><br>

Yay! Me too...want pics SOON! Sounds like a winner Suanne...good for you both...<br>Have big fun...<br>Bri<br><br>

<P>
cyndi said:
<FONT size=3>Congratulations, Suanne!&nbsp;&nbsp;... I can't believe you found a 13 footer with bathroom facilities!&nbsp; I didn't know they made them.</FONT>
</P>Thanks Cyndi.&nbsp; I'm excited and ready to start&nbsp;doing some fixing up of the interior.&nbsp; I'll also be doing some re-wiring for 12v lights and outlets ... something I've never done before.&nbsp; It'll be fun to learn something new.&nbsp; <br><br>Our little trailer doesn't have an actual bathroom closest, but only a port-a-potty.&nbsp; Some of the 13' Scamp trailers do have a bathroom instead of a front&nbsp;sofa tho'.<br><br>I'll be starting&nbsp;to remove&nbsp;the interior hardware tomorrow night.&nbsp; But, during the day, I've got to take advantage of our short-lived sunshine and get&nbsp;the&nbsp;winter grime&nbsp;off of our deck and garden stuff with the pressure washer.&nbsp;<br><br>Suanne<br>

Thanks Suanne...it is as cute as a bug's ear. I bet it works perfect for you two....Have fun...<br>Bri<br><br>

Congrats on your find Suanne...I'm so green w/ envy it's spilling out my ears!!&nbsp; I do believe something like that could be in my future.&nbsp; My V8 Chevy cargo van whould easily pull a sweet little gem like that.&nbsp;&nbsp; Best wishes to you!<br><br>&nbsp;Judy of OH visiting Cheyenne.<br>

<P><FONT size=3>Damn, that's sweet!</FONT></P>