Starting/column issue

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyDogs

Reaction score
Oh god.. I hate steering columns... :huh:

Recently there is a new sound, a plastic 'click' in the left side of the steering column.. about turn signal area.. when I turn the ignition.
And.. sometimes the starter goes *click* but nothing happens until I return the key and tilt/turn the wheel and try again.

...heavy sigh..

Any ideas where to start? What it might be?

Is it not starting ? and what kinda van is it? Sorry I see it's a 87 Dodge van.

There is a switch block on the column. A rod from the key part pulls and pushes this switch contacts. They get loose from the column and can get out of adjustment as parts wear.

Maybe. I would find the switch block, turn the key, observe what is happening. On my B250 it is on the left of the steering column, just above the brake pedal. I would remove the lower part of the dash cover, the part under the column. Then the rods from the key to the switch are exposed. See what is going on before you buy parts. There are a couple of part numbers for the switch, so get the number from yours.

well if it was a Chevy I could tell you exactly what's wrong. the gear and rack is broken not totally yet but it soon will be. from what you describe it's probably what it is. highdesertranger

That doesn't look like the parts on my 1987 Dodge.

where are you looking? you have to tear the column apart to see the rack and gear. highdesertranger

Yes. i got my book out and you are right. These parts are inside the column. Need to pull the wheel and dismantle Stuff. Again I would start at the switch block and connecting rods first.

oh.. yaaay
steering column dismantlement.. sigh..

On the plus side.. I've got you guys.. and the actual dealer-mechanical book specific to My van year/make woot!

So.. I tried ordering the parts HDR recommended.. and briefly described the problem I was having, in the order.
They responded
----------------------
"Reading your notes, we don’t think these parts will help you much. They are simply 2 gears that move linkage up and down the column. Your description sounds like an electrical problem, not a mechanical one. When you turn the key, you are moving gears that pull a rod that goes into the ignition switch located on the outside of the column above your ankles. That switch is what sends the connection to the starter, not the gears. The plastic click sound you hear is most likely the ignition switch making better contact once you ‘jar’ it by hitting the column. If it was my truck, I would :

1. clean the battery terminals

2. check the connection at the starter

3. replace the ignition siwtch (the electrical box, not the key and lock cylinder). You can buy that at any parts store near you."

------------------------
To which I replied..
"The plastic-click I hear on the left side of the column is a recent development, and happens now Every time I turn the key.. (when it first happened the key-turn was difficult once and also, same time it began, Left-turn signal was a little sticky (pull towards me to make lever move correctly) for a little while- but has resolved - which also led me to think steering column part.)
I'm not sure how, when it makes that 'near-dead-battery' starter *click/clack* sound, and doesn't turn over- how roughly tilting the steering wheel will 'fix' it temporarily, if it is the ignition box or battery connection." and thanked them for their info and help...

Looking at images like this one - http://www.texas4x4.org/gallery/albums/1983-K5/Column.jpg (typical steering column diagram..) Makes me think HDR is on the right track.. something in the ignition actuator and/or pivot point or something has begun to fail.. cracked, but not broken.. yet
Hence the jostling the wheel/column temporarily fixes it.

I really want to fix this before heading for RTR.. it may critical fail at the worst time..

from the way you described the problem is how I came to my conclusion. however diagnosing over a keyboard leaves a lot of room for error. you could always unbolt the ignition switch itself and manually activate it as a test or in an emergency. highdesertranger

Ok.. that's weird..
With all the ideas flying around as to what is causing the intermittent non-start issue..
It did it again today.. I listened very carefully. the plastic click is above and forward (towards dash) it occurs in the left side about where the turn signal lever housing meets the column. I can also hear the *Tick-clunk* in the engine compartment.. assuming the Starter trying to fire, but not getting enough juice to turn the engine.
This time I did not Tilt-jiggle the wheel, but gently patted the lower left dash area where the clusterF of wire is.. and.. Poof- magic, it started...
Might actually Be a bad connection there...

That is why we look at the easiest parts before dismantling with special tools. Good luck with your repair. You will have to get your head under the dash, but you can fix it.

Its the starter switch. Its a common Dodge foible. The way to know for sure is to watch the warning lights as you try and start...

Does it click, and the lights dim? Or does it click and the lights not dim? or no click and lights not dim?