starter issue : sparks! help!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unicutie

Reaction score

I took a video of the fireworks that go off when i try to crank the engine. My van is a 95 Chevy with a 350tbi.

What should i try first? Have you seen this before? If so what part is it? Shotty connections maybe?

Ever since it rained heavy, maybe the past week my van has been starting poorly. Intermittent slow/non crank. Tonight it's not budging. Only sparking...

Any help appreciated from you gear heads. Thanks...

That looks like a loose connection of the positive cable on the solenoid or could be a bad solenoid.

The connection(s) needs to be checked first. If you move the cable, does it move on the stud it is attached too on the starter solenoid? There is also a small wire attached to a different stud on the solenoid, it needs to be checked too.

Looks like a loose connection. Would like to see still photos of the wire ends.

yes loose cable connection. disconnect the positive at the battery first then tighten the nut on the solenoid then reattach the positive battery cable and start her up. highdesertranger

Hate to correct HDR but the negative battery cable should be disconnected from the battery. Always disconnect negative first and reconnect it last.

B and C is technically correct especially on newer vehicles. don't hate to correct me. highdesertranger

Be careful on tightening the stud securing nut, the stud has a wire attached to it on the inside of the solenoid and if the stud turns it can breakoff or short out. Then the starter cable eyelet goes on the stud and finally the nut that secures the starter cable eyelet. Since the stud is held into position by plastic tabs on the inside of the solenoid, as the tabs get old and brittle it is easy to break them if over tightened, which will allow the stud to turn. Some times the stud will be loose or because one of the nuts was lost or did not come with a replacement starter the stud securing nut gets taken off and used to secure the starter cable and which later loosens up because of heat and the weight of the cable which is not good. The stud should be snug and held in place by the securing nut. The cable should be locked in place between the two nuts and the world should be perfect.

also check that the bolts holding the starter on is tight. I had an incident years ago where the starter sometimes wouldnt crank over unless I hit it with something. Eventually it just wouldnt crank, I went and bought a starter, when I was under vehicule to change starter I notice one of the starter bolts had backed out, I tightend it down and that fix the problem. I carried the spare starter I bought with me for years just in case.
Everything has to be on tight when dealing with high amps.

As simple as I can
I would check the cable post on the starter to see if the cable moves or the solenoid itself is damaged. The starter if changed may have tightened too much at the cable it could crack the solenoid or in some cases the post can be loose. The shop answer would be replace the starter and check any heat damage to the cable end. Sometimes that is cost effective if you are already in there and best answer. These days not likely to just change a solenoid it comes with the starter.

The cost saving options are: Get a good look at the problem it may be needed to unbolt the starter to see all the connections on top. Sometimes if I cannot see I'll stick my phone up there and take a pic. You are looking for anything burned or cracked. If the cable nut is snug then there is a chance to tighten the solenoid post. Disconnect battery next cable at the starter to see if the post nut can be tightened. It does seem like just loose problem but cannot be sure without a better look.. If its not your thing try to get a friend to take a look. Good luck
Amazingly helpful replies from the others too

Thanks all! I was indeed a loose cable. All those sparks were scary lol, so I just went to bed in the parking lot and fixed it this morning when i could see what i was doing. Yeaaaa i deffffinitely unhooked the battery first......... Yikes! Would not want to get shocked by that....

Congratulations on getting it fixed without a trip to the shop.

Hey, WE diagnosed an electrical problem over the internet! It helped with a visual input.

Great video and good idea about using a cell phone to look behind something. Hope others are able to do this with future problems. A good attitude and willingness to use a few wrenches can save a lot of towing fees.

Yep, tell you what, 200 bucks at harbor freight was an awesome investment. But I'm the type of person who is dedicated to doing for myself as much as i can.

highdesertranger said:
yes loose cable connection.  disconnect the positive at the battery first then tighten the nut on the solenoid then reattach the positive battery cable and start her up.  highdesertranger

Please change that to always disconnect Negative [-] battery terminal first. I can be done if you know what you are doing, paying attention and have a steady hand. In short [no pun intended] if the negative battery is connected while you have wrench tightening the positive connection and you just touch any metal part of vehicle, the best I can explain it is Think of the 4 of July

you really should read the whole thread the correction has already been made. highdesertranger