Started the Coversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle (GMC Gypsy)

Reaction score
Well, I have started on my tear-down. I changed my floor plans; eliminated the Camp Chef stove/oven and added a sink cabinet (thanks Got Smart   :D ).

Here are my new floor plans and the before and afters (so far).

Attachments

• P1000117.JPG
    P1000117.JPG
    141 KB
  • P1000119.JPG
    P1000119.JPG
    110.3 KB
  • Picture 22.jpg
    Picture 22.jpg
    62.3 KB
  • P1000150.JPG
    P1000150.JPG
    142.9 KB
  • P1000151.JPG
    P1000151.JPG
    136.1 KB
So, sh!t has hit the fan at the family member's house where I was planning to stay while I did my build. That means I will be doing my build while living in my van. This should be interesting, to say the least.

An old Chinese (I think) saying/curse goes "May your life be interesting". Mine certainly has and looks to continue that way.  :dodgy:

Michelle (GMC Gypsy) said:
So, sh!t has hit the fan at the family member's house where I was planning to stay while I did my build. That means I will be doing my build while living in my van. This should be interesting, to say the least.

An old Chinese (I think) saying/curse goes "May your life be interesting". Mine certainly has and looks to continue that way.  :dodgy:

I had to do that too. Build while your living in it. I learned pretty quick what a necessity was, and what a luxury was. I abandoned all the luxury for the sake of gettin 'er done and it worked out not so OK..

Any chance of staying at a campground while you're doing the build.

Borrow/beg a tent and stay in it while you work on the van. Depending on where you are the campgrounds may be pretty empty at this time of year and if you choose a site that is well out of everyone's way no one will notice what you're doing for the most part. Either that or stay in the thick of things and let those that want to watch and ask dumb questions help you out... :D

How abt doing your build in the parking lot of Home Depot; off in the corner somewhere so you are not in the way. This would add to easing the confusion of having to live in when you are constructing. Go in the store in the morning and buy what you intend to get done that day. At night, no supplies sitting around; retire for the night. Next day: repeat.

You would have the resources you would need right there; like having plywood sheets ripped on the panel saw to exactly the size you need. Plus, right out your side window you would have the largest van conversion materials warehouse of anyone on this site!

Good luck to you!

Hey Michelle,

That sucks! Lots of good suggestions above. I wonder if you were to go to a Home Depot and tell them what you intend to do and tell them you will buy most of your supply at their store, if they are nice they might be inclined to get out of their way to help you. If they're not nice go to the next Home Depot. Bonus, they have WIFI.

Just my 2 cents.

Nicole

Almost There said:
. Either that or stay in the thick of things and let those that want to watch and ask dumb questions help you out... :D

Actually, I was kinda thinking about heading to Flagstaff since I'm in Albuquerque right now.  :p

Actually, I was kinda thinking about heading to Flagstaff since I'm in Albuquerque right now.  :p

Did you get the battery?

Wow, that's a great start! Here's a link for boondocking in Albuquerque

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/SearchByState/US/NM

... I was looking just today and there are a few people around Albuquerque area (some in mountains) that let you sorta hang out in their drive or on their dirt road, some allow for electrical/water/etc use and some don't ... but you could check it out.

GotSmart said:
Did you get the battery?

No, not yet. Gotta wait til the 3rd and my check before I can do anything. But repairs to the van have to come first. I can live without electric a lot longer than I can live without a reliable way to get around.  ;)

Flagstaff is still cold, but there are several different groups of us just south of it in Cotonwood and Sedona and you could join us anytime and stay as long as you like!! 

That way your stuff could be left outside with others in your camp to watch it and you can have a helping hand!! We are less than 5 miles to a Walmart and Home Depot here!

Some of us know a thing or two about building vans.

Come on by!
Bob

akrvbob said:
Flagstaff is still cold, but there are several different groups of us just south of it in Cotonwood and Sedona and you could join us anytime and stay as long as you like!! 

That way your stuff could be left outside with others in your camp to watch it and you can have a helping hand!! We are less than 5 miles to a Walmart and Home Depot here!

Some of us know a thing or two about building vans.

Come on by!
Bob

I think that's what I'll do.  :) I would greatly appreciate the advice and community and whatever help was offered. I do have to get repairs done to the van before I can do much else toward the build, though. I do have my potty and a cot and a cooler and I'm going to get a stove so I won't be totally helpless.  ;) Baby steps but maybe I'll have it done before summer's end.  :)

When I get closer to heading your way I'll contact you for exact location.

ilovemyvan said:
Hey Michelle,

That sucks! Lots of good suggestions above. I wonder if you were to go to a Home Depot and tell them what you intend to do and tell them you will buy most of your supply at their store, if they are nice they might be inclined to get out of their way to help you. If they're not nice go to the next Home Depot. Bonus, they have WIFI.

Just my 2 cents.

Nicole

HI Nicole, I was looking at your pics. Where did you get the door screens? I'm travelling with a cat and need that! I have a conversion I'm working on right now

Hi Shamu,

I don't want to hijack the thread so here it is quickly. I made the screen doors myself. If you want to see how it's done look into the 2nd link after my signature. The screens are about 3/4 down.

Good luck. PM me if you have specific questions.

Nicole

Latest posts