Starlink - The Scoop From A Nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven’t laughed so hard in a long time.
Thank you.

Where in So NM? I’m from there.

Thanks to those who have explained out that the throttling/deproritization is not a big deal, and that Robin's video hyped up this as an issue when it's really not.

But I still remain a bit fuzzy on the concept. S/L is still not a true roaming service? It is predicated on someone having a physical home base? Is the equipment - specifically the antenna/receiver - that you have to buy required to remain in place at the home base?

Thanks to those who have explained out that the throttling/deproritization is not a big deal, and that Robin's video hyped up this as an issue when it's really not.

But I still remain a bit fuzzy on the concept. S/L is still not a true roaming service? It is predicated on someone having a physical home base? Is the equipment - specifically the antenna/receiver - that you have to buy required to remain in place at the home base?
Carolyn's RV Life and Mav have new vids on SL. Seems to be a 'true roaming service'. They take that mini satellite dish with them. It sits on a portable stand.

Carolyn likes it, but said just know that it takes up to 10 minutes for it to connect. So if you turn it off nightly, know that come morning it'll take 5-10 minutes to connect..

My video ( link above) goes into it... (warning, I don't do short answers) basically, there used to be no roaming. The dish had to be within a few miles of the location you tell SL you live at. Period. Then, this past spring someone noted that SL had removed the instruction that looked that up and blocked you.... this was in preparation for the intended opening of a Roaming Service... this meant you could move around... then the other shoe dropped, that if you want to have roaming turned on it is an extra $25 a month. Then... they added an RV specific product. so, there are three products available

Stationary SL - bolted to the house of some other non moving object. Service is only good where you are
Stationary SL w/ optional roaming - same as above, but you can turn on and off the roaming service
RV SL - Assumed to be always moving and on the go. Roaming is on all the time.

The hardware is lightweight and can easily move with you.

When shutting down for the night, I have found that when reconnecting it is , or can be slow. If however you STOW the dish and repower int he AM, it seems to connect faster. WHen the STOW mode is engaged and the unti is repowered, it goes through the complete startup routine, and seems to get a connection faster, than just re-plugging it in...

My mini-caravan companion runs hers all night and it takes her from 100% down to 85% on her 200ah Lithium battery in 8 hours.

I just retested mine yesterday.. it will consume between 30-50 watts on 120/120v AC while running. It will suck 110+- watts at start for a few minutes.

I've been running Starlink for several months now, it is amazing! One thing I didn't see anyone mention is using the APP on your cellphone you can scan the area before ordering one and the app will tell you if the area has a clear enough view for it to work well. All I can add to this is it is amazing to be able to communicate with people when you are in extremely remote areas with no cell service, also the ability to call emergency services.

Currently some of us on starjunk are experiencing dropouts and slowdowns due to more and more customers coming on line and crowding the satellite 'data lanes'. The starjunk app now even has a notice that if you run the speedtest during the peak demand time of 5 to 10 pm the system will show slower than normal speeds. Mine used to provide 150 to 250 mbps but now its often down to around 30-50 and it will drop out for several minutes frequently, which is even more frustrating on any kind of chat or zoom service. It USED to be $99 a month and now the monthly fee is $110 and it has slowed down a lot. I'm paying MORE for less.

Thanks Elon.

Also, it has been very hot here, for weeks now, and the outdoor dish system is designed to throttle back or shut off when it overheats, I believe I've seen that happen also.

I think the service is experiencing growing pains.

Please. Everyone. DONT GET ON BOARD! You're crowding my bandwidth!

That is all.

:geek:

I stream tv with mine 24/7 and never turn Starlink or my tv off... it sure works well for me.

I continue to have good to excellent service.. I downloaded a game the other day, during the day and it was bouncing off 200Mbps download...

I have been up for the last 5 hours with no service drops ...

The service was not a good fit for a variety of reasons. Customer service is essentially non-existent.

I'm back to using cellular internet and saving $90 a month...roughly the same speed (20-30 mbps) and almost no dropouts.

I'm happy.

Last edited:
Carolyn's RV Life and Mav have new vids on SL. Seems to be a 'true roaming service'. They take that mini satellite dish with them. It sits on a portable stand.

Carolyn likes it, but said just know that it takes up to 10 minutes for it to connect. So if you turn it off nightly, know that come morning it'll take 5-10 minutes to connect..
I have been turning mine completely off every night while camping and it only takes about 3 to 4 minutes to power up again and be working. Also it remembers the adjustment settings from before so no delay there. I love it.

At the place which is my summer base, the property owner just put up StarLink. My experience so far is that it cuts out briefly every couple hours or so, I presume it is looking for the next satellite to latch onto. Getting it set up was a real hassle, coverage here is not great. Finally the "dish" wound up perched on top of the shipping container we use for storage. Nevertheless it is so much better than a 40-mile round trip for a decent cell signal, I don't see us giving it up any time soon!

Because I am parked about 70 feet away from the "dish", when my van doors are closed, the signal is very weak. I am wondering whether one of those wifi signal extenders would help. If anyone has any experience or recommendations for such, please say something!

Because I am parked about 70 feet away from the "dish", when my van doors are closed, the signal is very weak. I am wondering whether one of those wifi signal extenders would help. If anyone has any experience or recommendations for such, please say something!
Consider the adapter that allows you to plug in an ethernet cable and run it over to the van,,, or an extender... ;)

Consider the adapter that allows you to plug in an ethernet cable and run it over to the van,,, or an extender... ;)
Hmmm, never considered ethernet. How weather-resistant are ethernet cables, aren't they designed for indoor use? Also, neither my cell phone nor my laptop have ethernet ports, how would I manage that?

Hmmm, never considered ethernet. How weather-resistant are ethernet cables, aren't they designed for indoor use? Also, neither my cell phone nor my laptop have ethernet ports, how would I manage that?
Ahhh.. yes... you wouldn't... the cable would not like weather.. but you can buy UV resistant.. .but with out a port ... pointless... go with a booster... but the booster would be best half way across the area... but still better than nothing... btw... is there any metal between the SL box and you??