Standard led lights not cutting it for art

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frickinducky

Reaction score
The light cast is too low and white. Any artists have suggestions for led lights for color work?

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Have you tried strip LEDs in soft white (a bit yellower) Geoff</SPAN></STRONG></EM>

Try <a href="http://www.superbrightleds.com/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.superbrightleds.com/</a>&nbsp;<br><br>I switched over to LEDs. I went through 3 vendors on Ebay before I found some that were bright enough and did not burn out after 3 days. I lost some light but I added a couple of extra light fixtures and doing well now. Overall it was worth the headache. My batteries stay up now with no extra effort. <br><br>VanGirl

&nbsp;&nbsp; Lumens, not just led, is the key.

Thanks for the suggestions! Hard to find lumens on many products. The pucks we got are fine for cooking and stuff. Just not art. Will check out that link.

Lumens will not always work for indoor use. I bought some fog light LEDs with a high lumen rating. They were excellent for lighting up the trailer but they got so hot in the RV light fixture that they burned up and melted my fixture with it after&nbsp;only 4 hours. I used them in an actual fog light fixture on my van and they worked fine without the heating problem. There are lots of things to consider when it comes to LED lighting. <br><br>VanGirl

I have just been researching LEDs quite thoroughly. &nbsp;For proper color rendering there are two specifications you need to consider. &nbsp;"Temperature" and "CRI"<br><br>-<span style="color: #333333; font-family: verdana; font-size: 10px;">Luminous Flux</span>&nbsp;is a measure of brightness<br><br>-Color temperature, Kelvin scale. &nbsp;Under 5000k is warm, above 5000k cold, and 5000k is considered daylight. &nbsp;The brightest leds are usually on the cold side so they are most common because they are cheaper for the lumen output.<br><br>-CRI is quality of color rendering under the light source when compared to the sun. &nbsp;The sun is 100 so you want a number as close to 100 as possible. &nbsp;High CRI leds are usually in the warm white&nbsp;category&nbsp; &nbsp;Sometimes they will use multiple leds in the fixture to make the spectrum more uniform in high CRI bulbs.<br><br><br>So for an example if you look at the specs on this bulb. http://www.amazon.com/Lighting-EVER-Downlights-Voltage-Recessed/dp/B004BLKZ8Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t<br><br>You will see:<br><span class="tsLabel" style="width: 613.34375px; float: left; color: #333333; font-family: verdana; font-size: 10px;">Luminous Flux &nbsp;80 &nbsp;(Brightness)<br>Color temp 3000k &nbsp; (Warm bulb similar to incandescent)<br><span style="background-color: #eef1f6;">Color Rendering Index (CRI) &nbsp;85 ("quality" of light is quite good for an led in this price range, though they can be found higher.)<br><br>If there is no mention of the CRI then expect it to be around 70. &nbsp;CRI of 80 or higher is a selling point so they won't leave it out of the specs.</span></span>

Fog lights are not designed to be used indoors. Most reputable led makers will give the lumens on each bulb. Think of lumens as watts on the old style bulbs. Higher lumen rating, higher output. Leds made for indoor use will not burn out your fixture. I have leds throughout my 5th wheel and have had o problems.

Owl, When you figure out which LED is best for an RV ceiling fixture please share the part number with us. My&nbsp;trailer uses the 1156 bulb socket. &nbsp;<br><br>VanGirl

&nbsp;&nbsp; FanGirl, when I figure out ? I already have. Most leds don't have part numbers. Go to a reputable RV dealer and they will give you the bulb to try. It's not rocket science !

Lol. So much of this transition feels like rocket science. So much for my college degree.

&nbsp;&nbsp; Education is never wasted, we are&nbsp;lucky to have you here to share your education. Thank you

<EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Thats pretty unusual vangirl,<BR>&nbsp;In 15 years of using LEDs as clearance, daytime running lights on trucks, internal / nav lights on yachts. indoor lighting in two cabins, various motorhomes and bicycle lights I have never burned out a LED.</SPAN></STRONG></EM><BR><BR><EM><STRONG><SPAN style="COLOR: #888888">Geoff</SPAN></STRONG></EM>

&nbsp;&nbsp; rokguy, you just aren't trying !

I know what you mean . I have a EE degree. I designed LEDs and micro chipc for years. You can always tell where you stand with a know it all. Just ask them to give you the answer.

&nbsp;&nbsp; You designed leds for years and you come here for answers ? Get outa town girl !&nbsp;&nbsp; Troll Alert !!

VanGirl said:
Owl, When you figure out which LED is best for an RV ceiling fixture please share the part number with us. My&nbsp;trailer uses the 1156 bulb socket. &nbsp;<br><br>VanGirl
<br><br>I use some cheap puck leds in my van, but in my camper I used these and was happy with them:&nbsp;http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesaler...mp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=led+bayonet+warm+white<br><br>They are warm white and maybe slightly less bright than the&nbsp;incandescent ones I replaced.&nbsp;Hope that helps.

I did not come here for answers. My RV and van have been running green for years. Say what you want. I still make 6 figures a year. Trol alert up yours. I help solve many electronic questions on this forum. My degree came from UCLA ENGINEERING where did yours come from? I think I need to talk to BOB about this. I'm not going to tolerate abuse.

VanGirl