SSI Increase for 2023

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen a few online articles and videos about RV owners renting theirs out, and having it come back with severe damage.
My guess is many who do rent are novice and like any first timers make the usual mistakes. RV’s are cheaply made and unforgiving... unless heavily insured I’m thinking renting them out is a losing proposition and even then you and insurance company could have your relationship strained when claims start adding up.

I am shocked at what has happened to prices, every single time I go to the grocery store.

The increase in social security in January will be welcome, but it is insufficient to deal with inflation.
A few weeks ago I could get a pack of 18 non-organic eggs for $3 and change at Winco. Last week they were at $6.22.

On my way home from work, I pass by a sign on the right side of the road. For a long time, it said, "Eggs, $3." For a week or so it was changed to, "Eggs, $4."

Now it just says, "Eggs."

...Our dollar is...devalued...Games... played.
1973, I initiated my IRA, a 'KEOGH Plan For The Self-Employed', so I have no turtle in this race.
Accordingly, I was a mere observer to this topic...
... until the always-hilarious combination of 'dollar' with 'value'.
A reminder for the perpetual optimists among us:
* by definition, fiat currency has zero value.
Fiat currency may have a stipulated exchange rate, examples include:
* five slips of paper for a gallon of fuel
* ten slips of paper for a few grams of [edited to say: 'a potentially helpful but federally illegal ointment']
* etcetera.
Unfortunately, as the kicked can nears the end of the road, fewer holders of durable tangible goods are willing to swap for those slips of paper.
As that refusal accelerates -- with more realists realizing the futility of holding a few wheelbarrows-ful of those valueless slips of paper -- that economic system nears its lethal collapse.
One way to determine the stage/level of that collapse:
* holders of durable tangible goods demand more slips of paper to justify any exchange.
We are seeing this on a global scale.
I firmly believe any press-releases announcing any increase in the money you are owed by the Social Security Administration are merely sleights of hand, equivalent to the magician's diversion to conceal the activities behind the cape.
An aside:
Do I think this's an excellent time to diversify the portfolio, with:
* some long-term foods,
* some seeds for guerilla gardens, and
* multiple ways to hunt and fish, plus
* a solid core of trustable chums to 'circle the wagons'?
Probably.
* invest your raise(s) in training with new skills?
Probably.

A few weeks ago I could get a pack of 18 non-organic eggs for $3 and change at Winco. Last week they were at $6.22.

On my way home from work, I pass by a sign on the right side of the road. For a long time, it said, "Eggs, $3." For a week or so it was changed to, "Eggs, $4."

Now it just says, "Eggs."
Yup. Me being the shopper in the home I know prices of the same crap I buy over and over and the increase is shocking! And it is all far from over yet....ugh.....diaster in the making and we all get a front row seat.

Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do about inflation or how much our social security checks go up or not. I'm starting a side hustle doing something that I love to do. Don't know if it will pay off or not but it is something I do have control over.