Square Tales....let the adventure begin

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout

Reaction score
Well the wife and her dog gave permission for the adventure to pass the thinking stage.  We pulled the plug on a 2002 Freightliner with a Cat diesel, Allison Trans, hydraulic disc brakes.  No leaks, 96000 miles, and 29' of living space behind the driver seat.  

I ran across this site while working the oil fields in WY and put a camper on the back of my F-150.  With the exception of being separated from my wife so she could evict tenants in VT, this was the best time of my life.  Totally stress free, waking up next to a river and fly fishing for breakfast. So, she has heard me speak of my carefree days ( all 180 of them) and has spent several days worth of youtube videos and has got the bug.

She does need electricity but we need to be off grid as well at times.  I am leaning toward as much as I can afford with allowing for upgrades in the future.  I might start with 6 or 9 solar panels and build additional sections stacked on top of each other so they slide out like drawers when we're parked.

So now we're looking for tech/spec data on batteries, and all of the other stuff which goes into the project.

So you going to make money hauling? Or build a living space in a 40' shipping container?

Sam's Club "Energizer" golf car, 2x6V for each 12V is a great first bank, good value foundation for your electric. Take your total watts PV panels, 1/2 that for bank size rounding up.

So 1000W solar, may end up with 3 pair batteries @ ~600AH.

Ah makes more sense.

I'd love to overcome the fuel inefficiency, a 40' container would be great. Ship it all round the world. . .

Sorry don't want to derail

Welcome to the CRVL forums Trout! Sounds like quite a solar system you're planning! Keep us updated.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Well , you'll have the roof to mount those panels with room to spare unless you just mount them all directly.
Maybe even enough for a couple of coils for solar hot water .
AND
Enough space inside for all the batteries you'll need for that Air Conditioner too !

Ask all the questions you want to find out whatever is on your mind.

So I tried to post a pic of the bus but I will have to use A computer to resize.
Yes it's a 71 passenger school bus, 29 feet from back door to rear edge of the drivers seat
I don't know if 600 watt hours will be enough, I'm looking into several battery types, from lead acid to LiFePh. NiFe as well (Edison alkaline batteries)
This will be a several year project as money becomes available as we are upgrading the homestead to put it on the Market

Post to Imgur, then a link here, auto-resizes for you.

Lots of helper apps for your OS/platform.

Lets see if I can get these up on the site...
IMG_0772.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG
IMG_0795.JPG

There is 29 feet between the rear door and the drivers seat
There is 27" between the I Beam and the skirting on both sides
I am trying to figure out a good floor plan, then of course the Mrs wants to know where her walk in pantry is.....

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    95.7 KB
  • IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    94.9 KB
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    128.1 KB
Very cool!
Tell her it its 8 seats back, on the left :D