Southern Illinois

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tedrow42

Reaction score
Any good spots around benton or Mt Vernon? Gonna be around that area for a month

For a bunch of good suggestions - head to freecampsites.net and type in either of the two towns.

I notice that there are bunch of places all marked in yellow in the area. Those mean that they are unconfirmed and need someone to actually go there in person and check them out.

You'd be doing all of us a big favor by helping out with on site visits and then reporting to freecampsites what you find out. Worst case scenario is that you find out you can't camp there and then it can be removed from the listing.

I'm sure you've noticed Rend Lake nearby. There are tons of paid campgrounds though it looks like you have to go through the nightmare of recreation.gov reservations to find out about costs, etc. Maybe there is a number you can call to just ask.

There are also private campgrounds like KOA and a couple of Good Sam near Benton.

To the south is the Shawnee National Forest so you can look at the Forest Service site for that info. But if you have to be in Benton or Mt. Vernon each day, that is likely going to be too long of a drive. The forest has pretty parts to visit though they are not spectacular.

I hope you do not have to camp in that area past June...or you have air conditioning and are willing to camp at a site with electric. Heat, humidity and bugs (ticks, chiggers, mosquitos, etc.).

@almost there ill look into that sight thanks.

@writerms I actually grew up across from the marina at that lake. The corp side you can go to the fee booth and register lilast time I was up there. That and the koa is the only camp grounds I know of though that are not outrageous and ill be in Mt Vernon 3 days a week. There is Wayne Fitzgerald park but I've never camped there.