sound deadening vs insulation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkmattter

Reaction score
Hey guys,

about to start initial stages of my build. I'm curious about sound deadening materials. I think its a good idea to have. I'm wondering if I can forgo insulation with something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Noico-Insulat...ywords=Sound+Deadening&qid=1600322290&sr=8-12

8mm material. I'm in the PNW, so pretty cold winters but nothing crazy.

If not, then I prefer the slimmer sound deadening materials like the 1.3 mm https://www.amazon.ca/Deadening-Aut...ywords=Sound+Deadening&qid=1600322290&sr=8-10

and I'll insulate on top of that.

Good plan?

I just used polyiso XPS about 1 to 2 inches thick and I have no noise. Sometimes I can hear noises thru the roof vent when open. 
-crofter

To the OP, to each their own but my 2¢ is if your going to insulate why would you bother with sound deadening material. Any insulation you put in will kill sound... and do it better, unless your using the bubble wrap/aluminum foil stuff, and there are enough threads on foil so I won't bore you why that is a waste of time.

Matlock said:
Any insulation you put in will kill sound... 

Also, many of the things you load in your rig (mattress, bedding, clothes, etc.) will act as sound deadener.

why the concern about sound deadening? just curious. insulation acts as a sound deadener. highdesertranger

The type of foam in sound deadening material is closed cell EVA foam. The metal they use to make it is aluminum foil.
The big issue with sound deading material is the extra cost and weight. EVA foam is available in many forms. Yoga mats are EVA foam. The interlockin "PUZZLE" foam floor mats are EVA fooam. They do deaden sound and insulate.

Your money, your choice. Buy what you can afford, if you want the extra weight that is also your choice. If you are noise sensitive then it might be a good solution for you while driving down the road. But as far as insulation there are lots of more cost effective choices that involve less hours of labor to install and are much easier to obtain locally. If you want the metal surface yuou can apply aluminim foil tape.

There are a variety of sound deadening materials. The names Killmat and Dynamat come to mind. All of them are made of butyl rubber with a sticky side, and they work extremely well. The truoble with them is cost. From $1.50 to &2.00 per SQUARE FOOT! Yikes! A van interior can easily total two hundred SqFt. So it depends on how serious you are about needing this. My figure RV will have approximately 600 +/- SqFt inside. (20ft cargo trailer with all sides covered)

If one could obtain large amounts of sheet rubber, about 0.075" thick or so you could glue it yourself.

My 0.00000002 million dollars worth

FleaTaxi

I used Fat Matt in my van before putting in Polyiso insulation. It doesn't take up any space and you do not need to cover the entire surface area of your interior. If you can get 50 percent covered (unscientific) you will be fine. It does work great all you need to do is tap an area that has it and one that doesn't and you'll hear the deadining effect immediately. Besides, if you are taking the time to do a quality build, why do it half assed? It would be too difficult to retrofit. I figured for a little more money, I'd have a better quality build that I would be happy and satisfied with for years to come. After doing the work and driving the van for 3 years, I'm very happy with my decision.

Let me introduce you to my wife. When she was along it was if the vehicle and road made no noise whatsoever. At least I couldn’t hear it. Yada yada yada