Some thoughts from my 1,700 mile roadtrip....

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeRevell

Reaction score
Just got back from driving my elderly Mom from sunny Florida up to Tennessee then Indiana for her 60th HS reunion and to visit family and friends. Mom is 78, one of her old 'family friends' (basically like a second mother to her way back when) is 99 and still very sharp mentally, though in a wheelchair now. At 57, I think I was the youngest one at the reunion except for the HS kids doing the serving duties for the oldsters.
Anyhoo, I was checking out the RVs, TTs and vans as we drove up and down. Saw many more fifth-wheels than anything else, and TTs outnumbered RVs. I saw only one van, a Chevy Astro, that I felt certain was being lived in (at least temporarily). It was the typical white cargo style, but had a huge vent cover on top - not an AC unit. I had read here that many had concerns that such a vent fan cover might obviate their attempt at 'stealth'. But I think had I not been sort of keyed into looking for it by y'all, I might not have noticed and thought it just another cargo van.

Yeah, unless you spend a good amount of time on this forum or you're a van dweller, or police/security, you probably don't look for stuff like that. I have seen some work cargo vans with vents on top. I believe there are repairmen, etc, who actually do want some fresh cooler air circulating through their van when they're working out of them. The same goes with solar panels, cargo boxes, etc. One way to make the vents, etc., more 'unnoticeable' would be to put ladders up on top or some other distractor to make the vents not so noticeable....

Very true. These days, I can't help but notice vehicles that a) have the potential to be lived in, and b) are clearly being lived in. Mostly as observational research and scouting for good parking spots.

on stealth and roof vents...

Though our rig is not stealthy (that wasn't a goal in Van1 build) we have a maxxfan on the roof and while it does a great job (we swapped our original fantastic fan for the maxx and the difference is AMAZING!)...Anywhoo... in Van2 build i'm thinking of forgoing the roof vent/fan of the MaxxFan or Fantastic fan and go with the style of marine grade solar vents such as the NICRO and similar. That way you will have airflow without anyone knowing visibly. Also it has been discussed by others the idea of pulling up cool air from under the rig (i know it is basically just a vent in the shade! but still convection has its merits.) You could have one over the kitchen, one in the bathroom/shower area and be way ahead budget wise compared to the install of one MF/FF fan/vent.

Climate-Control-1.jpg

Here is a link to one example. They are available from several manufacturers.

Thom

accrete said:
on stealth and roof vents...

Though our rig is not stealthy (that wasn't a goal in Van1 build) we have a maxxfan on the roof and while it does a great job (we swapped our original fantastic fan for the maxx and the difference is AMAZING!)...Anywhoo... in Van2 build i'm thinking of forgoing the roof vent/fan of the MaxxFan or Fantastic fan and go with the style of marine grade solar vents such as the NICRO and similar. That way you will have airflow without anyone knowing visibly. Also it has been discussed by others the idea of pulling up cool air from under the rig (i know it is basically just a vent in the shade! but still convection has its merits.) You could have one over the kitchen, one in the bathroom/shower area and be way ahead budget wise compared to the install of one MF/FF fan/vent.

Climate-Control-1.jpg

Here is a link to one example. They are available from several manufacturers.

Thom

Hey Thom,

That's a cool looking vent. How does it keep out rain?

I have an earlier version of the Nicro marine style vent.

Basically to keep out rain there is a upward facing 'cup' with some drains, underneath the Mushroom portion of the vent.

While the solar is nice in that one needs not run wires to it, the actual air moved is very little.

After a few years mine started clicking a bunch, especially in cold temps.

I've basically cut the wires from the "c" size nicad battery to the motor, and covered the solar panel too, and use 120mm computer muffin through a step down ring to push the airflow through a 101MM aperture.

Mine is Stainless steel, but I plan on painting it the same color as my roof, as well as attempting to remove some restriction from the outflow path, as I have a ridiculously powerful 120mm fan on order which I plan to use with a PWM motor speed controller.

The stock Nicro fan claims something like 1000 cubic feet per HOUR. Right now i have a fan rated at 110 CF per Minute, and the fan I have on Order is 252 CFM

In CFM moved, yes, but they will reduce the heat build up, and one does not need to worry about rain storms.

I wish someone made a bigger mushroom type vent I could put a larger ran into. Might make one someday

Latest posts