Some things I  learned @ a seminar last week

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Iggy

Hand painted sign by the side of the road in Bhutan, from the book, The geography of Bliss/Eric Weiner.

When the last tree is cut,
When the last river is emptied,
When the last fish is caught,
Only then will man realize he cannot eat money.

Bob

first I want to congratulate everybody on this thread who can think for themselves and question what we are told we must believe. however I believe what oberneldon posted about over population is the most insightful thought I have heard lately. this is what I believe, if one person pisses in a pond it's no big deal, but when 1 million people piss in said pond it's a problem. over population is the root of all of the planets environmental woes, this is what disenfranchised me from the major environmental organizations, they will not talk about it because it's unpopular, they can suck more money out of the populace by using cute fuzzy animals. imo 99% of the environmental orgs are out there for the money. my 2 cents. let the flogging begin. highdesertranger

No flogging from me! I agree with everyone on overpopulation, large footprints, over use of resources, pollution, ulterior motives, and global reset. There is nothing we can do about natural global resets but there is (if there is such a thing) with self imposed global reset if you're starting at the beginning or somewhere before the scale tips. It sounds like we resist a fatalist viewpoint. If we didn't we would live for immediate gratification, for only ourselves. We wouldn't tout these things we do is for the good.

Disclaimer:
In spite of being gunshy I would like to participate in this conversation and try to articulate my non definitive thouhts. But first my conscience compels me to thank everyone for their apologies. Thank you. Now back to the disclaimer ...
The following may be offensive to some viewers. Crap, the way I think the above may have been also! ??

Personaly, with resisting a fatilist viewpoint I guess that means I hope that things can be set right, even if the scale has been tipped: maybe not physically but moraly/spiritualy? Why I care I'm not real sure other than feeling regret, responsibility and empathy for those people, animals, plants and everything else that did not have a choice in the matter; only that my trying shows an effort at making amends especially if I don't know if it is too late. Those who believe they can and those who believe they can't are both right, comes to mind. It's just the side I'd rather error on.

I am more green than I used to be. I am more green than some and less green than others. I enjoy learning new ways (i.e. van dwelling, forest gardens, freeganism, primitive skills, ...) and implementing what I can to become greener. It just seems that the most green lifestyle would be the primitive nomadic lifestyle. It seems that would keep things in check and balance.

The leap from an industrialized lifestyle to a primitive lifestyle seems huge to me, both personaly and globaly. I am spoiled, I would miss my utilities! Even living in a van depends on potable water which depends on infrastructure because too many people have pissed in the same pond. In order to live that lifestyle I'd have to move to a different country and I cannot expect my family to follow. Neither am I going to commit suicide for it. So I look for compromises, something in between. Compromises bring me back to shame for not doing all that I can. I want to live with integrity and I also want to live my dreams but I am befuddled with hurdles to get there.

PLEASE help me understand it I am thinking this correctly ...the new phrase is global climat change, and that is the reason when I fall down and land on my face the ground seems harder than it did 45 years ago?
Global climat change has caused changes that make the ground harder and increased the pull of gravity so I fall harder and faster?
:D
haha just having fun :D

highdesertranger said:
first I want to congratulate everybody on this thread who can think for themselves and question what we are told we must believe. however I believe what oberneldon posted about over population is the most insightful thought I have heard lately. this is what I believe, if one person pisses in a pond it's no big deal, but when 1 million people piss in said pond it's a problem. over population is the root of all of the planets environmental woes, this is what disenfranchised me from the major environmental organizations, they will not talk about it because it's unpopular, they can suck more money out of the populace by using cute fuzzy animals. imo 99% of the environmental orgs are out there for the money. my 2 cents. let the flogging begin. highdesertranger

So true. Nobody wants to say or believe that the planet is a closed system with finite resources and can only healthily support 3 billion? People. At 6 billion people that are wasteful in their ways the planet starts to protest... A lot. Then people are shocked that "the world is going sink from the weight of the human race..." (Pete Townsend I think). The harshness of reality sucks! I am a firm believer that floggings should be shared :)

I saw this quote, I have no Idea of the origin.

"As long as mankind survives, they will be a detriment to the environment.
The environment will outlive humanity, then continue on its way as if such short lived parasites as we never existed."

This is true but it doesn't mean we shouldn't try our best to preserve our own environment for future generations !!!!!
Bob

Question EVERYTHING!!  
Consensus?  90% agreement?   

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only 65 Scientists of 12,000 Make up Alleged 97% on Climate Change and Global Warming Consensus According to Breakdown of Cook et al study, say Friends of Science[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In response to multiple inquiries from media and global warming advocates, Friends of Science issue this release to expose the statistical manipulation evident from the break down of the Cook et al paper. Friends of Science decry the linking of this flawed study with alleged danger from man-made carbon dioxide emissions (CO2) as there has been no global warming in 16 years despite a rise in CO2 levels; Friends of Science say the sun and oceanic oscillations are the main drivers of climate change, not CO2.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]LINK: [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/5/prweb10772757.htm[/font][/SIZE]