Solution to drilling holes in my RV's roof

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontheroadagain

Reaction score
I have a small toyota RV with a aluminum roof. It has only leaked once around the front roof vent where some silicone cracked. So I have spent several months wasting time worrying about how to run my solar panel wires into my rig. where the wires need to enter there was no opening like a bathroom pipe to use. Finally I decided to just drill the holes and cover it with something.<br><br>I bought a plastic access box for residential electrical conduit. It has two inch size openings for wires and an access cover with a rubber seal and two screws. I fed the wires into one opening and gooped it tight with 50year silicone. I drilled two holes in the roof down into an upper cabinet in my RV. I fed 10 gauge wire up through the holes. On one flat side of the conduit box I drilled two holes and fed the wires coming out of the roof into the conduit box through these holes. I used #10 butt connectors to join the wires at the box and wrapped with electrical tape. Then I sealed it up with the gasket and cover with the 2 screws that came with it. <br><br>I added two strips of 3M heavy duty contact tape (2 sides are sticky) to the same side the of the conduit box that has the 2 holes I drilled in it for wires that came out of the rv roof. I covered the rest of the same side with the 50yr silicone. I had someone pull the excess wire down into the RV while I lowered the conduit box onto the roof covering the holes in the roof. I hope this does the trick.<br><br>I have pitures but not sure how to insert them. when I click the icon for pictures it asks for the URL http://<br><br>

Yeah, it should do the trick?<br>But if your RV has a fridge vent on the roof, remove the cover and fish the wire down there, re-install fridge vent cover and youre done. NO HOLES!<br>it's probably too late now, but maybe next time?

Thanks Buster. I had read of using the vent pipe but unfortunately my fridge has a wall type vent to the outside. I could have run it down the bathroom&nbsp; vent stack but that would add 15-20ft to the wire run.