solar trickle charger recomendations.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taj

Traveler, always looking for home.
Reaction score
hi guys, Fernweh is coming along hopefully next week ill have my own video on youtube, but at the moment im getting closer to the instal of a deep cycle battery, inverter, and a solar trickle charger... the questions is, ( and after a lot of reading and searching here and other places..) which solar trickle charger would the forum and fellow vandweller peeps use... first of all, not running a lot of electrical stuff, dont have a tv, dont have game systems, eventually will be running a small fridge, and charge station for the phone and laptop, and battery charger for the items that use AA/AAA/D's. I DONT want too muck with the engine alternator or battery, im always fearful of screwing something up. I want too pick up a 2000 watt inverter, probably more than I need, but i go by the better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Ive got room for one deep cycle battery. any comments would be helpful as well as 'hey yahoo, use this one..' thanks!

well my definition of a trickle charger is basically a battery maintainer. it will maintain a battery but will not really charge it if you use to many ah. a trickle charger will not keep up with a 2000 watt invertor. there are some good threads on hear about matching your solar to your usage. you should first add up your usage add a little for rainy days then get an appropriate solar panel. I myself have a 15 watt panel as a maintainer and another 230 watts for usage. make sure you put a regulator on the trickle charger/maintainer. ask me how I know this. highdesertranger

Hi Taj,

In one sentence you say you wont be using much power, but in another you say you plan to have a 2000w inverter. That size inverter is quite large and will be very wasteful. I actually only use a 400 watt inverter simply to keep the waste low. It handles charging laptops, phones, and even most small power tools. My fridge already runs off 12v though.

As for a solar setup, I would not recommend any of the small, cheap, ones. They simply will not do enough to handle your fridge needs down the road. You would just be forced to buy bigger (or more) panels anyway, so you may as well do it right at the get-go. A Renology 100w panel only costs about twice that of a SunForce 15w panel and will be able to keep up with a small fridge and minor accessory charging. I use two of these panels but I am on the laptop 6-8 hours a day, plus the fridge.

hi again, im thinking of this setup ...Renogy Complete Solar Panel Kit 100w Off Grid:100w Solar Panel Ul Listed+2 20' Adapter Cable +1000w Inverter+30amp Charge Controller+unique Z Brackets... its 360 but it comes with everything but the deep cycle battery.

That looks good, but I'd still say the 1000w inverter is overkill (and wasteful) but it gives you room to grow and the panels are good quality. Their customer service is great as well.

You may want to also consider buying a very small inverter (I have a 100w that plugs into my cig lighter) for those small charging items (phone, laptop, batteries, etc) as it will be less wasteful with your battery power. You can find them anywhere (Walmart, Lowes, etc) for $20.

Large inverters use power just to be on. My 1000w inverter uses 0.6 amps per hour before I plug anything into it. My 400w uses 0.15amps per hour. My 100w uses next to nothing.

No Taj, those simply are not worth it. If you are seriously strapped for cash I understand, but the Film-type panels are no where near as good as Crystal-type panels. For the $150-ish, you are only getting 45 watts of inferior panel. You can get a 100 watt crystal panel for $150 then a few dollars more on a charge controller and inverter.

Here is a 100w panel, plus charge controller for only $35 more

Three times the incoming power, charge controller that can accept more panels when you are ready, and all the hardware & cabling you need in a single package.

Then how about $25 for a 400 watt inverter (Same one I am using right now)

Taj said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_24009.jpg

harbor freight has this one going on sale at the end of the month for 150, its a 45 watt system. comments? it has everything but the inverter and battery.

I have that set I bought first. It works, but it takes up a LOT of acreage for such little power output. Save for the Renology panel. Far better quality and better use of funds.
I have a pair of 145W panels I got online for my van conversion. They will overhang the sides a little bit, but much more efficient use of their area. Not Renology, but I got them before I learned of the Renology deal, else I'd have gone with it.

thanks Lee! ill just start putting pennies away in the jar :)

Latest posts