Solar-Roof-Ladder Rack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unca_T

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

Unca_T here. Elissa and I took our first excursion in our van last week. It was meant to be super fun
and a bit of a shake down test. I wanted to see what would happen and how things worked. Everything
worked really well, but as you'd expect issues came up. Nothing icky just things. For instance. Our solar.
We have two 100 watt solar panels and the best solar controller I could afford at the time. We'll upgrade
later. It was my idea to keep them in the van and put them out when we got to a camp place. That way
I wouldn't always have to park in the sun. It seems logical and it is. That worked very well; however, they
are kind of bulky. Which means...up on the roof they go. Besides every time you leave camp you're going to
wonder if someone is walking off with your solar.
I'm wonder if people have ideas for the best or at least pretty good roof ladder racks.
I've looked a little here and didn't find anything but that's probably because I didn't look well enough. LOL

Is there a kind to stay away from?
Is there a kind that I want to gravitate towards?
What's been y'alls experience with them?
I'm hoping to do the install next week. This week has been filled with gigs and works.  There's just not enough time.
BTW if you're interested in the blog I wrote about our experience and where we went. Here is the link.
http://trevormarty.blogspot.com/2017/07/camper-vans-maiden-voyage.html

If putting links in isn't allowed Sorry. I'll take it off.

Trevor

remind us of what vehicle you have. no problem with the link you have enough posts. highdesertranger

We have Vantech H3 roof racks. Our two 140 watt solar panels are mounted on plywood mounted in the racks a la "Bob Wells'" style. Hubby will be getting his own van and we're happy enough with the current install that he'll do the same with his.
Ted

Oops you're right I forgot all about that.
My van is a 2001 Chevy Express 1500 w/a 5.7 Liter V8

Thanks gang.

My "roof rack" is really just thin L shaped sheet metal.
It's purpose is to obscure the solar and guide air over and away.
The solar itself is bolted down to the roof with its own brackets.
If all you need is stealth then it works great.

I've been really happy with these on my van.  Not the cheapest option though.  I like that they are square for a flat mounting surface.  The stickers come off easy so they look less like "ladder racks"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CITTLG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kpgFvAj.jpg