Solar RC Battery Recharge station.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He was asking for a cladding material specifically for use in an area he was afraid of starting a fire.

FRP has been implicated as a fire-risky material for the outside hull of boats.

And personally I would not be charging non-LFP lithium batts inside at all.

Relying on protective electronics is a fragile solution.

Obviously all just IMO, everyone can do what they like with their rig.

John61CT said:
He was asking for a cladding material specifically for use in an area he was afraid of starting a fire.

FRP has been implicated as a fire-risky material for the outside hull of boats.

You can buy fire-rated FRP...even standard FRP has a one hour rating that meets or exceeds many normal wood paneling materials, but of course, less than steel. But he stated he wanted something more resistant to fire than wood, and cant use bare metal.

Boat hulls? Who's talking about boat hulls?
:huh:

And personally I would not be charging non-LFP lithium batts inside at all.

There are specific metallic, and fire-proof material, battery charging cases made just for this purpose.

I have used metal ammo cans with small holes cut for the AC or DC cord entrance.

Normally I charge my batteries at home. I have a large 2'x2' ceramic tile table I use.
I have never had a battery even get warm when being charged. But I know the potential is there.
In an enclosed trailer, I would just prefer a bit of protection, if it is not terribly expensive. I have a crap load of left over 1" X 1" tiles, may just use that and see how it holds up. Don't have to buy anything, already have it all.

they make special mortar for installing tiles in a RV. ceramic tiles weigh a lot, I am sure you are aware of that. highdesertranger

Yes ceramic weighs a lot. but we are only talking the nose area of a 6'x10' V nose.
Just looking for options to consider.

Panels. CC. and wiring showed up today.
3 X 100Watt 12 volt panels into a EPEVER MPPT controller into a 12 volt deep cycle battery.

Time 3:30 PM Michigan. Full sun, panels laying flat.
I hooked everything up temporarily just to make sure everything is going to work.

Panels showing 16.2 to 17 volts @ 6.3+ Amps
Output to battery 14.2 volts at 7.1 to 8.0 amps.
Can get better when I angled them towards the sun.

I think this will work!!!!!!

Going to take pictures and info on my actual build, I'll put it up on my web page, may help others.

Panels installed, Used 2 composite decking boards screwed to the ribs for mounts.
MPPT charge controller mounted. Wires run, but not secured down yet. Still have to mount the fuse block, and run wires for the inverter and lipo battery charger. Planning on doing a stress test with the inverter and battery. want to drop the charge in the battery down 10-15% and see how long it takes to charge back up, we have a nice sunny day to give it a go.