Solar panels on top of roof vents?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awpz0r

Reaction score
Hello. In a permanent planning stage as I save up $$ for a build. I like the idea of having 2 vents, one intake and one exhaust. But I also like the idea of using the entire surface area of the roof of the vehicle to get maximum solar potential (mostly thinking a van or trailer. The large array will be used to hopefully power 5+kWh Tesla Model S used battery from a wrecked car, this would be done to allow me to hopefully use a small air conditioner for a good period of time). Does anyone have any experience with mounting solar on top of the vent areas on the roof? I was thinking if there was a couple inch gap between the vents and the solar panels it might have enough airflow. I realize a normal fantastic vent may have to open too high to make this doable.. But then Also thought there might be another option that slides the vent open horizontally rather than the vertical open of the fantastic vent. If a vent/fan that opened horizontally was used, how much of a gap would there need to be for airflow between the vent and the solar array? Do you think this would cause a significant loss of mpg from the increased height?

Thanks.

With rain guards the front windows can be left open 1 inch. That way one fan in the back can intake or exhaust.

If there is a fan under a solar panel the temperature of the solar panel will be reduced. That will improve performance in the summer.

Maxx Air makes a low profile vent that doesn't open like traditional vents. perhaps you could install your panels over them. however they don't have the air flow that traditional vents have.

https://www.airxcel.com/maxxair

highdesertranger

Only need one fan if it such high CFM as Fantastic or MaxxAir.

People have mounted them vertically in a panel fixed in a window space if you really want every square inch of roof covered in panels.

The higher your panels are mounted off the roof, the greater the lifting forces at highway speed.

Consider supplementing with portable panels, or a slide / pullout to the sides.

Or doubling output by being able to tilt them.

Bob had his panels mounted above his vents for years.

With a camper I had a few years ago I took the plastic cover off of my roof vent and mounted the solar panel over it. there was abt a 1" gap between the top of the vent base and the panel glass. There was an extractor fan mounted within the vent cover. I put in a light plastic flap that would come down and cover the fan opening when it was shut off. It worked really well and I never had to worry about rain getting in. ..Willy.

Nice idea.

As the underside of panels get closer to plastic fittings below, things may get hot enough in some conditions, to I think maybe melt some plastic bits.

Why not just install adjustable panels slightly above the vents on a rack? Then when camped you could tilt the panel enough to completely open the vent. Being able to open to open the vent an inch or so with rain deflectors on window doors would be fine for traveling I would think.

On mine I just removed the vent cover, the panel blocks the rain from getting in. On the inside of the van, in winter I just cover it up with foam insulation. You just need taller L brackets when you install the panels.

there is a 14 inch vortex vent/fan under the panel dead center
roof panel.jpg

But save yourself some work and use side vents, I havent use my roof vents in years, the air you get from them is overrated. Its better to have your panels flush to the roof as much as possible.
side vents.jpg

Attachments

• roof panel.jpg
    roof panel.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 19
  • side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 11
Still need some ventilation even in Arctic conditions.

bullfrog said:
Why not just install adjustable panels slightly above the vents on a rack? Then when camped you could tilt the panel enough to completely open the vent. Being able to open to open the vent an inch or so with rain deflectors on window doors would be fine for traveling I would think.
No venting is needed while traveling. Makes a huge mess in dusty country want to be able to really seal up as tight as a submarine.

But that is a great solution, even if the panel over the vent is the only tiltable one.

Tilt ability can double power output.

I have a low profile Fantastic Fan that only sticks up a couple few inches. Once I put roof racks up for the solar panels they are high enough to clear the vent fan.