Solar ideas for current RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theadyn

Reaction score
Hi all!!

So I've been trying to think of the best possible setup for some solar with my current situation. I own a 28' class C 1995 year model with lots of vents and roof clutter. It does have a house battery with it's 3 cigarette outlets inside wired in.

I'm thinking ahead to the rally's, I would like to not be dependent on running the generator a few hours a day to charge up the house battery (annoying loud thing). And I have considered mounting solar to the roof, but.. well, as there in has it's own problems with placement up there, I am still unsure if I will be keeping this rig for very long. So, I thought maybe a portable solar setup would work, I could take it with me.

So, help me brainstorm on a inexpensive portable setup to meet my occasional solar use, but still ability to meet my needs for a few weeks at a time without generator. Decent sized propane tank in RV that would meet the needs of fridge and some light cooking. Have coleman stove, charcoal grill and solar oven for most of the cooking. House battery would take care of water pump, fridge panel and the occasional light. I haven't tested how long these would run without running the generator to recharge, but will before the RTR. Mainly it would be needed to supply phone, laptop, maybe a portable dvd player, one cup coffee maker that runs for 1 minute.. And other things I am sure I haven't thought of as yet.

So far, thoughts are some thing like this along with this and a deep cell marine battery which I can get locally for $90. Total for about $400. (of course, using Bob's link for Amazon :cool: )

Thoughts? Anything I'm missing? A better or cheaper way?

I dont have solar yet but also consider portable panels. There are pros and cons. At 22 pounds they would be easy to move as the sun moves and easy to carry inside. You will know they are locked inside when gone. On the roof is convenient but you have to go up there to tilt them or clean them and you have to park in the sun. I have seen where people hinge two together for storage. Problem with portable is you have to deal with them over and over and over......life aint easy.

Go to led bulbs, use propane for coffee, dont run the house furnace, use a 5 gallon water container with a valve for cooking and drinking instead of putting it in the tank and pumping it back out, and you will have eliminated the heaviest draws and will be able to stay on the light weight side. If you can, stay away from inverters and buy adapters to let you go straight to 12 volts. Read Sternwakes stuff on controllers and get one that has adjustable voltage and possibly temp compensation.

I have heard people say that you may get as much as 40 % more power by being able to manually follow the sun. If the spot you are in shades the panels it would obviously be far more than that. Be sure to use a heavy enough gauge wire so you have some flexibility in how far they can be placed away from your rig. You can use Anderson connectors to make set up and tear down easy.

Just an example. They come in various amp ranges.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G0333453/?utm...hopping_Feed&gclid=CI_glOeRi8ECFRMLMgod-jcAkg

Another problem with portable panels is security - you don't dare leave them out if you need to go away from the vehicle. They won't be there when you get back...... :(

Thanks for the responses, keep em coming. :)

@VWRobb: haha, there is that option. ;) I wonder, though, how much more efficient the propane boiled coffee is over the small time of use in a big electric draw of free energy. And the one you posted, it looks like it's for a mountable panel. ??? In my readings, I thought monocrystalline was prefered over polycrystalline, but I've never dealt with either. Would love to hear opinions on it.

@Donedirtcheap: Good point about the portableness, and knowing it was locked is a bonus. Dealing with it over and over.. don't you have to deal with it on the roof, as well? My rig is pretty tall and can't imagine climbing up there day after day.. If I could put a few cheaper ones up there in the space I have and not have to worry about moving them all the time, that would be ideal. LED lightbulbs, it's on my list of things to get. Would only use house furnace if cold got extreme and as a backup to propane options I am looking in to. At the moment I do have a Little Buddy on board, still unsure if that will be enough to heat the square footage decent. I've gone one working adapter already in rig, so far.

Great responses, it's getting my brain working. :)

Mounting panels on the roof is fairly easy so transferring them to another RV or van if you decide to get a different rig isn't a big deal. A 28' foot RV should have enough space for several panels. Our panels don't tilt and the only time it's necessary to go up on the roof is when they need a good cleaning so mostly they just keep putting out power will little effort on our part. The advance of parking in the shade and setting up portable panels in the sun shouldn't be overlooked though. Either way is fine. It's mostly just a matter of personal preference.

Both of your links go to the same place - a 400 watt inverter is okay for most things but check the wattage on your coffee making. It's probably using more than 400 watts. We bought a 400 hundred watt inverter to conserve on power that inverter itself uses and have had no problem running all of our electronics but we everything is low wattage.

@ LeeRevell: Very good point. I suppose you can use a bicycle locking type chain to chain it to something, but then you would have to keep it close to something that you can lock it too, which might negate a full sun effect of it being portable. Hmm..

@ rvwanering: There is quite a bit of space on the top, just in different sections. I am, I admit, a little scared of drilling into the roof to pass wire and mounting. And sorry about the links, the other one should be for this item.

I suppose I could just get the portable one linked on this post, connect it to my one house battery to keep charged and call it good. If I leave the site either lock it to something or lock it inside. Keeping it simple, anyways.

The other issue is where do you carry them while traveling, and will that be the same place you store them at night or if you get up and it's pouring rain?

You'll have to make sure they aren't damaged . . .

Regards
John

Silicone. UV resistant, high quality is your best choice to seal up any hole in the roof. Use lots and lots in the hole and on top screw, bolt or plate. The best is Permetex RTV, clear silicone at a automotive parts store, but it is hard to find this retail in large dispensers, so ask for the best at a hardware store. I've seen the Permetex RTV brand used in hundreds of roof installs and it impervious to UV and weather for over a decade and more.

@ Optimistic Paranoid: Can be stored beside my bed on the side that is hardly ever used or walked, under the queen bed storage, or under the 3 pass-thru's. No shortage of storage on current rig.

@ RogueRV2: Will keep in mind. As I'm not sure I want to keep this a long time (may want something smaller), would hate to go through that with the holes and expense and sell later on. However, that could be a selling point: "Solar equipped!!" :) Something to consider.

@ Bob: That is THE one I had in mind. :D

Thank you all for the input, greatly appreciated!!

i just got this same portable set up last friday i originally had planned on a rooftop set up and bob helped line me out a system with all the things needed in another thread i started.
i chose this route because i started really thinking about the amount of power i use, what i do, where i go, and where i park once I'm there and also the fact I'm not a full timer yet so based on that i decided to go with the portable set up. i used it over this last weekend and it seemed to do well with no known problems. i am new to solar so I'm still learning but i was able to get it set up and running and it topped off my batteries. now i have not figured out all the user programmable settings and I'm still trying to get that down which is on me and no fault of the setup. i did notice the 15' wiring from the charge controller going to the batteries seemed rather small to me but I'm sure the company has taken this into consideration and properly sized it for the length needed. i wish i could say more and give you all the technical specs but I'm still learning all that. i will say i am pleased with it so far and i don't think you could go wrong for the money .