Solar Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RVTravel said:
The main issue of these batteries seems to be recharge rates. They don't match lead acid batteries or lithium iron phosphate batteries. Will Prowse stopped using lithium ion batteries likely because of this and he is using an AGM battery. He is learning as he goes along like alot of us ; )

I love Will Prowse. He is really knowledgeable. Do you have his book? I know recently he is using a solar power generator because his needs are not significant living in California, getting lots of sun and using a microwave at Whole Foods. Lol. Whatever works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Solar generator", what a great marketing tool! As a marketing tool it does seem to work because it keep coming up.

If you need a generator go buy a Honda.  If you want solar go buy a solar system...  

Do some homework before you jump on that marketing term, you can maybe get a real generator AND a solar system for what you'd spend.

Those 100w (& up) portable systems do a fine job. Need a battery? WM sells batteries with listed amp hours, they sell boxes to keep them in & I'll bet you they sell inverters too!  As a note I use a lot of 12vdc things, my inverter sits unused 99% of the time.

I'm putting solar on our new RV, solar is magic! We need it!
$650 got me everything (except the batteries which are already there) including  two 170w panels, a 40a mppt controller & the remote readout. This was all from Amazon....

Get a hinge & the panels could be turned into a "use anywhere solar kit", just use your extension cord to put the panels in the sunshine.
When I tested my 50' 12g extension cord with a 100w panel the voltage drop at the end of the cord was one tenth of a volt. I can live with that....

It's not a solar generator...

urbanhermit70 said:
Man, this  " how to power" a van or RV "sucks.  

it can suck but it doesn't have to. There is a learning curve and it isn't as simple as "buy this and all your problems go away" but it doesn't have to be frustrating either. We can help a lot but we may need some basic info on your needs, wants, space, budget, etc. Once you start seeing how the information is applied you will begin to understand pretty quickly.
urbanhermit70 said:
Is Champion  gas generator quiet?

Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Wireless Remote Start
Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator

First, there is no "quiet" generator. There are some that are quieter than others but even the quietest can be considered annoying. The one you posted is quieter but not the quietest. The quietest cost roughly twice as much and at are considered a higher end product. On the other hand, this one has a higher surge ability meaning it can start a heavier load or the same load at altitudes the others can not.

In a RV you have two types of devices. Those using 12 volt power such as the lights, furnace, fans, water pump and possibly control boards if it is new enough. To that can be added various other devices such as TV's, DVD players, computer charging, phone, etc. These devices can either be had to run off of 12 volts or be adapted to.

The other kind of power is the type you plug into at your house or 120Vac. The biggest thing on your RV that takes 120Vac is your air conditioner. This will require a larger generator to run if you are not plugged into shore power. Other smaller devices that could not be converted to 12v can be run off of a smallish inverter that takes 12v power and makes it 120v.

So without knowing your needs intimately, lets talk possibilities. We need to see how much power you need for the 12 volt devices as well as those that you need to plug into a inverter. Generally the 12v devices in my trailer can easily run a day on one mid sized Marine battery, usually a few days. A modest, inexpensive and possibly portable solar system could provide for these needs day to day if the sun shines. SolarBlvd sells a 160w portable for roughly the same cost as the Renogy 100w portable. Depending on your RV the same modest solar system could be mounted up top so you never think about it, the power is just there.

The inverter that takes 12v power and makes 120Vac is sized by the watts needed to run the largest item or combination of items that you want to run. One example is my TV and satellite receiver required 120 watts together and I ran them off of a 150w inverter. Larger items can be run but they require a larger inverter to provide the power, a larger battery to feed that inverter and a larger solar system to replace the power used. My trailer has those larger systems and I can run my microwave and other power hungry devices BUT the size, cost and complexity can be a obstacle to some.

So what to do if you don't want or have room for all pf that gear? That is where your generator come in to play. You size the generator much like a inverter, by what is the largest item you want to run. In your case it will be the roof top air unless you have a wall unit that can take less. A roof top air is generally going to require a generator the size of one like you linked to or two smaller generators hooked together. This you will run to provide 120Vac or shore power as it can be called to run the larger items the inverter will not such as the air conditioner and microwave. The generator can also help charge your battery either while you run other items or just charging alone when the sun does not play nice with the solar.

So your trailer COULD have a system like this.

A battery big enough to cover your day to day low end needs at least one day if not a few.

A modest solar system big enough to replace  the power you use day to day.

A modest inverter to run the smaller 120Vac items that you do not want to start the generator for.

A good sized generator to run the big ticket items as well as provide back up charging to the solar system.

Now I have over simplified things because I do not know all of your needs but it is a crude run down of what you could do. On the other end of the spectrum you could run the generator evey day for charging instead of having a solar system or like me you could have a huge solar system, bank of batteries and inverter with a tiny generator as back up.

The possibilities are endless. We just need to find the one that fits your needs/wants/space and budget the best.

Jimindenver,

I haven't brought my class B van or class C yet but...

I need power for laptop,tablet, ipod touch/ Mp3 ,cellphone, portable DVD player, 1 television. microwave, van or RV lights. A/C (maybe use). I will have portable CB radio, GPS. I'm listing everything ,i think that will or might drain electricity

I will probably use reusable battery for table fan,portable speaker, portable Cd player, portable lamps. I will use Mr heater, gas stovetop. fridge (??)

Has anybody heard about this solar generator Kalisaya KP601 KaliPAK 558-Watt Hour Portable Solar Generator System

Quick Specs & Features of the Kalisaya KP 601

Battery Capacity: 558Wh (14.5V, 38Ah)
Weight: 14.3 lbs (6.4 kg)
Power Output: USB (4x), 12V, DC (2x)
Rechargeable by: Wall (AC), 12V DC (Cigarette lighter) or Solar

Thanks RVTravel,

I really like this Kalisaya KP601 KaliPAK 558-Watt solar generator after reading the manuel but what does this girly girl know about electric. I'm assuming this generator doesn't cover a microwave but i'm willing to cook stovetop or no cooking meals. I was happy to see it covers 12V flat panel LCD TV.

urbanhermit70 said:
Thanks  RVTravel,

I really like this Kalisaya KP601 KaliPAK 558-Watt  solar generator after  reading the manuel but what does this girly girl know about electric. I'm assuming this generator doesn't cover a microwave but i'm willing to cook stovetop or no cooking meals. I  was happy to see it covers 12V flat panel LCD TV.

The charging times are way too slow on the Kalisaya to make it viable for van life, IMO.  

If you really want a portable (not built in) solution and have the funds, then the Inergy Kodiak may make more sense.   It charges a LOT faster from the car charger (5 hours) and solar (2-16 hours depending on watts).  You can also buy a fast AC charger that will charge it in 5 hours.

The Kodiak also has a built in inverter and you can run a 900 watt microwave to heat up meals. I can't post links yet (too new to the forum!) but I'm sure you can find their website by doing a search.

I have an online Sprinter forum friend who can get you a discounted price of $1600 for the unit, including AC adapter.  PM me if interested. I have no financial interest, just passing on the info!

We just bought one and so far, I am very pleased.  Can't review it yet, since I've only had it a week!  Tech support has been very helpful.

We bought it to charge our laptop, iPad and phones, as well as a 12 volt Engel fridge.  We also wanted it for power outages, since we are part-timers and still have a house.

We opted for the pricey, portable, lightweight Predator panels, because we prefer to park in shade and don't want to mount anything on the roof of our Sprinter.  Once we decide if we are going to put in a pop top or not, we may add a couple of roof panels.

My friend just took his out on a 7 week road trip in his Sprinter and is thrilled.  This solution works great for some people, like us, but it is certainly not cheap! The reviews online are helpful, as are Will Prowse's YouTube reviews.

urbanhermit70 said:
Has anybody  heard about this solar generator Kalisaya KP601 KaliPAK 558-Watt Hour Portable Solar Generator System

Quick Specs & Features of the Kalisaya KP 601

Battery Capacity: 558Wh (14.5V, 38Ah)
Weight: 14.3 lbs (6.4 kg)
Power Output: USB (4x), 12V, DC (2x)
Rechargeable by: Wall (AC), 12V DC (Cigarette lighter) or Solar

See that 3rd line down, where it say 38ah?  That is a small battery...

SondraRose.

I'm just doing RV/van research right now no major RV/van/solar panel/ generator buying yet.

> 38ah?  That is a small battery...

It has to be small if you want something portable.

Even using LFP at a third the energy density of lead, a big bank for running a full live-in van setup would be a challenge for a strong man to lift at all.

For that, best to have several modules, boxes that hook together when moving from van to house or boat or whatever.

Anything an average woman could just wheel around like a suitcase would maybe run some electronics and a small portable fridge.

Unless you also had a small genny or access to shore power to recharge on demand, then a smaller bank (1-200AH) could be feasible.

SondraRose said:
The charging times are way too slow on the Kalisaya to make it viable for van life, IMO.  

If you really want a portable (not built in) solution and have the funds, then the Inergy Kodiak may make more sense.   It charges a LOT faster from the car charger (5 hours)  and solar (2-16 hours depending on watts).  You can also buy a fast AC charger that will charge it in 5 hours.

The Kodiak also has a built in inverter and you can run a 900 watt microwave to heat up meals. I can't post links yet (too new to the forum!) but I'm sure you can find their website by doing a search.

I have an online Sprinter forum friend who can get you a discounted price of $1600 for the unit, including AC adapter.  PM me if interested.  I have no financial interest, just passing on the info!

We just bought one and so far, I am very pleased.  Can't review it yet, since I've only had it a week!  Tech support has been very helpful.

We bought it to charge our laptop, iPad and phones, as well as a 12 volt Engel fridge.  We also wanted it for power outages, since we are part-timers and still have a house.

We opted for the pricey, portable, lightweight Predator panels, because we prefer to park in shade and don't want to mount anything on the roof of our Sprinter.  Once we decide if we are going to put in a pop top or not, we may add a couple of roof panels.

My friend just took his out on a 7 week road trip in his Sprinter and is thrilled.  This solution works great for some people, like us, but it is certainly not cheap! The reviews online are helpful, as are Will Prowse's YouTube reviews.

The Kodiak can indeed power a microwave, no more than 10 minutes per YouTube trials, some videos had it cutting off at 4 min with a 50% battery. The pure sine wave inverter that it has is a better way to power the microwave than any of the lesser models with modified sine wave inverters. The OP said a microwave and possibly a/c, obviously nothing will run a/c unless you have a generator (gas).  If OP can drop the air conditioning need/want, then the Kodiak, admittedly pricey at $1800, is quite the dense but lighter weight all in one package.

No doubt you could put together the two 6 volt golf carts, a 1500 PSW inverter, necessary cables, fuzes and battery box for under $2,000. The issues are: excessive weight, venting need (?), footprint, ease of installation and portability.

Yes A/C is ridonculous off any battery bank in a mobile context.

A tiny A/C unit directly powered by **lots** of solar panels, batts just for buffering, that would work for just peak sunshine hours.

Or a generator with a very powerful charger, but that just buys a little time shifting.

With an expensive LFP bank, might get the weight down to 150 lbs or so.

With lead, could easily get up to half a ton.

This world isn\ said:
The Kodiak can indeed power a microwave, no more than 10 minutes per YouTube trials, some videos had it cutting off at 4 min with a 50% battery. The pure sine wave inverter that it has is a better way to power the microwave than any of the lesser models with modified sine wave inverters. The OP said a microwave and possibly a/c, obviously nothing will run a/c unless you have a generator (gas).  If OP can drop the air conditioning need/want, then the Kodiak, admittedly pricey at $1800, is quite the dense but lighter weight all in one package.

No doubt you could put together the two 6 volt golf carts, a 1500 PSW inverter, necessary cables, fuzes and battery box for under $2,000. The issues are: excessive weight, venting need (?), footprint, ease of installation and portability.

- Is Kodiak Inergy the best battery pack in the market right now, out of all options? 
- How could you use Kodiak Inergy with additional AGM batteries, to expand the capacity? [I heard you can't add Lithium to that set up] 
- If you just charge your Kodiak outside (i.e. at work or starbucks) and then plug it back into the 'AGM + Kodiak' vehicle set up, would Kodiak charge the stationary AGMs automatically? 
- If Kodiak capacity is 1100w, what is the purpose of 1500w inverter? Does that mean inverter is limited to 1100w for AC appliances?

urbanhermit70 said:
Has anybody heard about this solar generator Kalisaya KP601 KaliPAK 558-Watt Hour Portable Solar Generator System
Have you not been reading the information posted for you here?

Please stop using the term "solar generator", it really is meaningless, just marketing BS.

There are solar panels,

and there are various sizes of battery powerpaks, which may include an inverter, charger, various voltage outlet jacks, and maybe other features.

There is no "best". Find out what your AH per day needs are, how you will charge that much back in (+20-30%) each day, from what kind of charge sources, what size inverter you need, etc

And then we can help you understand these powerpaks' capabilities and how well they match your needs.

Mostly overpriced and poor value, a DIY system from separate components matching your needs will be better 99% of the time.

kllcbosmetris said:
- Is Kodiak Inergy the best battery pack in the market right now, out of all options? 
Read the above first.

Gotta cook dinner for the kids

John61CT said:
Read the above first.

Let me rephrase, if I wasn't clear. If you are not building a stationary system (which I understand is cheaper and more customized) in the van and if you are going to go with a plug-and-play portable battery pack instead, is Kodiak the best option available in the market for a portable unit? I've found a comparison chart (attached) but I am not sure if it was current.

Attachments

• Solar-Generator-Comparison-Branded-2.jpg
    Solar-Generator-Comparison-Branded-2.jpg
    541.3 KB · Views: 17
Again, it depends on **your** specific needs.

What is the best sailboat on the market?
Is just as impossible to answer.

Note that there are dozens of these coming on the market every month, most are overpriced POS by companies that disappear like thieves in the night, and don't meet the needs of vandwellers to start with.

So no one is going out and buying them all to do the extensive Consumer Reports testing required to do a valid comparison report.

Likely you are one of the first to have even heard of any particular product, maybe across five forums you will find one or two posters that have bought one, but tgey know less about DC electrics tgan you do, so can't give you any objective information about it.

Best I can advise is educate yourself how to at least figure out their accurate storage capacity in AH @12V. Because the marketers lie, don't want you to learn just how anemic their product is, just getting that info requires a fair bit of sneaky detective work.

And no such information will help you unless you clarify what your own needs are first.

We can help you with all this, but no one can do it for you.

kllcbosmetris said:
- How could you use Kodiak Inergy with additional AGM batteries, to expand the capacity? [I heard you can't add Lithium to that set up] 
The chemistry should not matter. Most of these have their own proprietary little world, and don't want you to combine with other components. To find out how would likely take owning one and experimenting. Or a knowledgeable person communicating with someone who owned one as well as a DMM and ammeter to figure things out.

kllcbosmetris said:
- If you just charge your Kodiak outside (i.e. at work or starbucks) and then plug it back into the 'AGM + Kodiak' vehicle set up, would Kodiak charge the stationary AGMs automatically? 
No, setting something like this up from generic components would be a big challenge and pretty expensive. Much harder to try to do so from this type of closed proprietary product.

And they don't store that much power anyway, nothing easily portable can, it's just a limitation of physics and chemistry.

kllcbosmetris said:
- If Kodiak capacity is 1100w, what is the purpose of 1500w inverter? Does that mean inverter is limited to 1100w for AC appliances?
The Kodiak isn't limited as a whole package. Maybe its inverter is rated at 1100W max. Is that for startup and transient surges, or continuous? If the latter then many types of devices that require 2x or 3x their rated power when starting, would be limited to say 300-400W rating to work with that inverter.

A 1500W peak rated inverter could only power say 5-600W rated appliances with that issue.

Note an excellent 1500W inverter from the top manufacturers can cost well over a grand.

So whatever inverter circuitry is included, along with all the other components in that powerpak product, is very likely not the greatest quality, and exaggerated specs are very common.

Just that one technology area (inverters) is by itself **very** tricky. The best approach is to specify exactly what mains power device you own that you want to feed from 12V, and start a thread asking what inexpensive inverters members recommend, that they think might work.

And then buy one to try yourself, but only from a seller with NQAMB guarantee.

Sorry if this all sounds very negative, but you need to learn more to be realistic about this part of the build process.