Solar Generator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanhermit70

Reaction score
Has anyone check out solar generator? I head solar generator have improved  as of  2017

That term is so widely abused, sometimes just the powerpak part without any panels.

Usually overpriced and not sized for your specific needs.

urbanhermit70 said:
Has anyone check out solar generator? I head solar generator have improved  as of  2017

I got a little 150 watt one off Amazon. I bought a portable 50 watt solar panel to charge it but it wasn’t enough. You really need at least 100 watt panel to charge it. If you look up Will Prowse on YouTube he has done reviews on a few different solar generators. He is a great source for information on solar. He’s even written a couple books. Check him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The main issue of these batteries seems to be recharge rates. They don't match lead acid batteries or lithium iron phosphate batteries. Will Prowse stopped using lithium ion batteries likely because of this and he is using an AGM battery. He is learning as he goes along like alot of us ; )

150w "solar generator" doesn't reveal much. Maybe that is the max output of the inverter part?

They use different units at unstated voltages to make storage sound bigger.

Don't buy anything without getting links to multiple suppliers of replacements for the battery, that is a consumable.

> recharge rates

Usually a function of the tiny charger included.

If you want to recharge quickly, need direct access to the posts, and buy a good high-amp charger whose voltage matches the chemistry of the batt.

This is why I say better to educate yourself with advice from here, figure out your needs with an energy budget AH per day, and put a system together DIY.

> isn't any solar panel a generator?

It's marketing BS to fool noobs.

Most people have no idea about the specs, units when they start out, and would love to spend their money without having to put effort into learning.

bardo said:
isn't any solar panel a generator?

This is how I see my system. Each panel is a small generator capable of 18a at peak. Put the three together and they become a 50a generator that can charge my batteries and so much more. Add in the big panel on the truck tossing in another 30a and I am wishing they would have let me keep that extra A/C because the system could run them both and still toss the bank a bone.

So to me anytime a panel or system is producing more power than you are using it becomes a solar generator.

Yes if it doesn't have the wind, solar, hydro, fuel cell etc specifier, it means fossil fuels, for at least a few more years.

solar generators 2017

1.Goal Zero Yeti 1400 Lithium Portable Power Station 1425Wh Silent Gas Free Generator Alternative with 1500 Watt (3000 Watt Surge) AC inverter, USB, 12V Outputs
First, as you know, it sports a powerful lithium battery that can store quite enough energy to power up a wide range of your gadgets and appliances off-the-grid. Yeti 1400 is a 1425Wh solar generator with a 10.8V 132Ah battery inside. To charge it from sun you can use a pair of 100W Boulder panels. Or connect it to you wall outlet or car charger if don’t want to go solar. Price: $1,799.95

2. Goal Zero Yeti 400 Lithium Portable Power Station, 428Wh Rechargeable Generator and Backup Power Source with 300 Watt (1200 Watt Surge) AC inverter, USB, 12V Outputs Price: $599.95

Just looked at the specs on the Yeti site and am shocked (not really) that it uses a proprietary 10.8 volt 132ah battery pack...even has a warning:
"DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHARGE YOUR YETI LITHIUM FROM A 12V SOURCE. Doing so may cause damage to the unit."

Yeti stuff is under powered and overpriced...they prey on consumers by using confusing terms and now are going to non standard batteries.
(couldn't find the replacement battery pack for the model 1400 on their site...??$$$??)

IMHO
$1800 will buy a whole lot more than what that model 1400 offers.

That's true for everything in this niche.

Most say no replacement allowed at all, supposed to toss it when it's SoH declines.

At least they are transparent with their capacity specs.

I'm thinking NMC in 3S strings?

Could fast charge with an adjustable power supply.

Man, this " how to power" a van or RV "sucks. I would pick a gas generator and call it a night but the noise is a BIG downside. I would pick solar panel/solar generator and call it a night but the downside , solar generator/panel can't power air conditioner , some are under powered and overpriced, and figuring out how much watts I need in a van/Rv is a pain in the butt (microwave, laptop. portable DVD player and TV).

Yes this whole "portable powerpak" product category really has nothing to do with what most people need living in a van.

And when you talk air conditioning, that is **huge** , mostly unrealistic off batteries for any length of time.

It is easy to spend thousands by the time you're done.

People living in first-world S&B are spoiled by (too) cheap and plentiful mains power, encourages mindless taking things for granted.

IMO from a big-picture long-term POV an unsustainable situation, maybe even a little evil.

Converting to mobile / off-grid living requires a higher level of awareness, staying mindful of your usage patterns, choosing between sometimes difficult alternatives.

Unless you can afford to buy, eventually settle into, a set of options that works well for your unique situation and preferences.

urbanhermit70 said:
Man, this  " how to power" a van or RV "sucks.  I would  pick a gas generator and call it a night but the noise is a BIG downside. I would  pick solar panel/solar generator and call it  a night  but the downside , solar generator/panel  can't power  air conditioner , some are under powered and overpriced, and figuring out how much watts  I need in a van/Rv is a pain in the butt (microwave, laptop. portable  DVD player and TV).

The latest 1,000 to 2000 watt inverter generators are actually very quiet. Watch some YouTube videos that show the decibel ratings and let you listen, or go to a Honda or Yamaha dealer and try one/both.  Then there’s the alternate lower cost ones, again, read Amazon reviews.  Some pretty stiff competition for the big “2” nowadays.

Is Champion gas generator quiet?

Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator with Wireless Remote Start
Champion 3100-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator