So this happened...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hippiechk

Reaction score
Just ran into town for a few things...

Hit & run...

Attachments

• IMG_20160717_121243.jpg
    IMG_20160717_121243.jpg
    123.7 KB
A roll of duct tape, some plastic bags, and it'll look good as new! ..Willy.

Ouch !
That would make me very unhappy......

awww :(

look around for any possible video surveillance that might have a record...ATM's, security, etc. If you see one, cops can be cooperative...tickets for hit-n-run and leaving a scene involving property damage look good on the monthly quota...

BradKW said:
awww :(

look around for any possible video surveillance that might have a record...ATM's, security, etc. If you see one, cops can be cooperative...tickets for hit-n-run and leaving a scene involving property damage look good on the monthly quota...

Not so likely here in this small town & given where I was but you never know who might have had a camera. I have already talked to the cops & insurance.

Cops are not concerned, gave me a file number.

Insurance is not concerned, gave me a file number. My deductible is $300 was their biggest issue as we have no fault coverage here. $300 is a lot right now!!

Local dealer, who answered his phone today even though they aren't open, is not concerned...bring the file numbers & they will see me tomorrow.

I, on the other hand, an a bit concerned. I love my little home & that it looked decent outside made it a nicer little home. Given its age this could potentially write it off...just put in that engine...*sigh*

If the insurance company tries to write it off, start producing the bills for the repairs and the engine that you just put in. Actually have them ready for the insurance adjuster when he/she comes to view the vehicle.

And then go over the appraisers check list with a fine tooth comb. I had one try to write off a vehicle until I started correcting his valuation of the vehicle. He'd missed the new tires, the Class 3 hitch that was on it and about a dozen other little things that all upped the value past the point where the repair job exceeded the value of the vehicle.

You do have some rights here.

And if all else fails, take the insurance money less the 'scrap value' and find someone cheaper who can repair the damage for you. You're essentially buying the vehicle back from the insurance company at that point.

check the wheel for damage,see if they knocked the rear end out of alignment

Almost There said:
If the insurance company tries to write it off, start producing the bills for the repairs and the engine that you just put in. Actually have them ready for the insurance adjuster when he/she comes to view the vehicle.

And then go over the appraisers check list with a fine tooth comb. I had one try to write off a vehicle until I started correcting his valuation of the vehicle. He'd missed the new tires, the Class 3 hitch that was on it and about a dozen other little things that all upped the value past the point where the repair job exceeded the value of the vehicle.

You do have some rights here.

And if all else fails, take the insurance money less the 'scrap value' and find someone cheaper who can repair the damage for you. You're essentially buying the vehicle back from the insurance company at that point.

Already talking to my mechanic & now bodyman on what could be done for repairs on the 'salvage' if it comes to that. We have a one trick pony system here with only government insurance as the option. It could go great, it could be hassles upon hassles. I am just going to see how it goes but at this point I am pretty dead set that I am keeping my little home.

My health pretty much dictates that it can't be commercially repaired as I am allergic to so, so many chemical things & I have to live in here during.

At times like this I miss my steel body bus!

gsfish said:
Bummer!

Were you able to save any pieces from the other vehicle?

There was a case near me that made the paper awhile back. Someones car and HOUSE was hit and run in the middle of the night. Police made a report but weren't interested in doing anything beyond that. The owner gathered up car pieces from his yard and took them to a body shop that was able to identify the make and model. Owner then had some signs made asking for information on that make/model/color of car and placed them around the neighborhood. Long story short (too late?) the perp turned himself in and turned out to be a Navy pilot trainee, not too good for his career.

Guy

No pieces, actually I also left the scene as I didn't notice the passenger side until what turned into my last stop. I called it in to the cops but this town is so small there was only dispatch 'somewhere' that didn't know the lay of this town. When the OTD was available he called & we chatted & he was more concerned with that I 'felt okay' than the particulars. This tourist town is normally 4,500 people but there is likely 45,000 in town this weekend. We are comparable to Quartzsite in size and see double the tourists here that they do there. No LTVA here though so they swarm the town.

When I told the cop I want sure exactly which street I had parked on for one stop as I had got cut off & gone straight where I intended to turn. He said the same thing had just happened to him & not to worry. He wondered if I had a guesstimate on damage...one of the choices was over $1,000 & under $10,000 so I picked that one! On any given day a mondo A-Class bites it in this town...I am chump change!

Tomorrow morning, just to satisfy my curiosity, I will retrace my route really early before traffic starts & see if I can see any debris.

Hippiechk said:
Just ran into town for a few things...

Hit & run...

OK.  One option is to get that wrapped with metal and painted.  You can pocket a lot of money getting it patched rather than refinished to factory specs.  

I hate sunday tourist drivers.

The junkyards in these parts have quite a few RV's, and I'm sure there's more than a few of those older wheel shrouds that would fit your rig. (many manufacturers used 'off the shelf' parts that other RV builders used as well.)
Cold save you lots of money on your repair bill!!

Good luck Hun!

So, retraced my route & found nothing. Not surprised there, very busy place here in summer.

The dealer is going to get back to me with an estimate but the damage is more extensive than thought. The door kept popping open last night unless it was on the deadbolt. That whole side is compromised. It CAN be fixed but its likely going to come in as a write off.

We don't have RV graveyards in these parts much Patrick. This is desert & stuff decomposes fast here. They have some on the coast but that's cost prohibitive. If I to fix it up I likely wouldn't bother with 'trim' around the wheels & would do the other side to match.

Right now I have a headache & need a nap, its been a rough day...

actually the desert is the best place for stuff not to decompose. military and civilian airplanes are stored in the desert when decommissioned. railroad companies store their unused rolling stock in the desert. people who restore cars are always looking to the desert for new finds because the cars are usually in great condition. the coastal areas on the other hand are the worse place to store anything. I am not saying you have RV junk yards around you, but I would do a little shopping. so if a MH is totaled around you where does it go? they surely don't ship it to the coast. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
actually the desert is the best place for stuff not to decompose. military and civilian airplanes are stored in the desert when decommissioned. railroad companies store their unused rolling stock in the desert. people who restore cars are always looking to the desert for new finds because the cars are usually in great condition. the coastal areas on the other hand are the worse place to store anything. I am not saying you have RV junk yards around you, but I would do a little shopping. so if a MH is totaled around you where does it go? they surely don't ship it to the coast. highdesertranger

The plastic & rubber seals & gaskets dry out like crazy here. As does the fibreglass which is what my body is made of.

Steel does great indeed, I don't have much of that...bumpers are good!! *smile* most totalled RVs, cars, anything not metal ends up at the crusher here. One of the best auto graveyards is right up the road, they have parts a plenty!! They don't do RVs. And yes, those that are still viable for parts really do head for the coast or a couple larger centers. We don't have a city with a population over 100,000 until you get to the coast.

You need to remember that this is Canada. There is only 10% of anything that you have there...people, wrecked rigs, everything. I do think we match you in tourists but that's about it.

At this point I am not looking for replacement parts. If it's getting fixed, its being done privately & it will be custom cut & fitted without any trim. I won't try to match any existing colours I will get another colour in the same family for the patches. They can just reduce the value of the thing & I will add more solar & important stuff like a demand water heater. If they offer me enough...I will move into a different rig. Maybe a shorter 5th & a truck...never had a 5th that wasn't planted on a commune (lotsa' stories there!) but being able to drop it & use my truck does sound inviting. Maybe a 4X4...it's good to dream!

After my van got totaled the doc gave me some micro dot chill pills you put under your tongue. I have only taken 4 in 2½ years...took 2 today! I am trying to be calm but honestly this has me pretty shook, I have some cancer they can't treat due to my allergies & I am getting fatigued.

Willy...thanks for bringing duct tape & bags!!

you are correct, plastic, rubber, and fiberglass does not fair well in the desert. highdesertranger

It's an official write off, in fact deemed structurally unsound & must come off the road. I can still use it until the numbers are crunched which could take up to 2 weeks, busy season.

The dealer who is writing the estimate handed me off directly to an appraiser who is handing me off to total loss.
It sounds like they will be reasonable.

Looking for new digs...

ARGH!

Hopefully you will come out on top with a better rig that you love!

Latest posts